Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid...Royal Purple EZ???

Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid...Royal Purple EZ???

I've had the boiling PS fluid with autoxing and at a recent trackday. I wanted to mount a better PS cooler before the LRP PDA on Thursday, but couldn't find an appropriate size. I know many have spoken of the Redline PS fluid being more stable than others...couldn't find that either...but my local S&K Speed did have one quart of Royal Purple EZ, and it snatched it up. Supposedly it is a synthetic PS fluid that has a boiling point of 650-800F (on their website's product data sheet).
That level seems pretty high...I checked Redline's site and couldn't find any numbers.
Anyone use this stuff before?
Also, is there a "popular", tested, easy-swap, proven PS cooler that seems to be a good replacement for the stocker?
Thanks a bunch,
Tom
Old 11-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I put some in my car this year. Didn't notice any difference. Never had a problem with the stock stuff either.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Have the redline , summit racing stocks it, and has a distribution center 10 miles from me . and it works well,

also check with Turn one for their modified pump, they claim it reduces boiling I Have that pump also and havn't had any problems, ( but didn't have any before, just decided that with over 80K miles and lots of track days it was due for freshening very happy with both
Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

I use Valvoline Synthentic PS fluid (AutoZone) I haven't boiled since switching. I used non-synthetic before and boiled 3-5 times with it. On the same track in cooler weather.

I recently installed a PS cooler. I used a Hayden 401 Transmission cooler (tube/fine style) ~$30. It is the smallest size for that application. I simply dremelled off ends of the factory PS cooler under the car where it loops to back to the resevior. The PS hard lines are 3/8 inch and i simply used the provided hose. Mounted the cooler infront of the radiator. Haven't had a problem with the PS since and no measurable rise in radiator temps.
Just be very carefull when you refill the resivior the first time. I suggest having somebody else start the car while you top-off the resevior.

Will
Old 11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a big cooler and no problems anymore. I can measure it if you like.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:13 PM
ace996
Pro

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've used the Valvoline PS fluid before and boiled it during an autox, that's why I switched.
The cooler info is great, really appreciate it.

Now I gotta bleed the brakes and wrap the tierods with header wrap for tomorrow...
Be good,
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid...Royal Purple EZ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid...Royal Purple EZ???