Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The State of Sports Car Racing in America

Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default The State of Sports Car Racing in America

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/240830/49/

Getting back on topic, sports car racing in North America is divided. While many consider that a bad thing for the sport, I think it’s a good thing. We get to enjoy double the amount of racing. The drivers often race in both series, enjoying each for what they are. We often hear the fan’s perspective on how they feel about the two series. Throughout the message boards and at the tracks, it’s clear that there are Grand-Am bashers and ALMS haters out there. Everyone has the freedom to their own opinion. But why not take each series for what it has? ALMS features modern, state-of-the-art, sexy-looking, sports cars while the Grand-Am series promotes ultra-competitive, door-banging, heart-pounding sports cars. Is that so hard to ask?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Grand Am is kind of like the "cross-over" series that attracts a lot of Nascar fans. They run lots of rovals and use many Nascar drivers for the 24 hours of Daytona. You have the same principal with spec type cars that on the surface vary little from one to the other.

ALMS seems to have a more global focus for the manufacturers to battle out their latest and greatest.

I personally enjoy both leaning more toward ALMS, but in the past 2 years have become a bigger World Challenge fan.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:48 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me we are looking at a simular situation that happened in open wheel racing, Champ Car vs. IRL !

IMO... this is not good for the sport. The Rolex 24 hour @ Daytona used to be an International Event... now it's become spec car racing with Big Name NA$CAR Drivers drawing the fans.

ALMS needs more cars entered in each class... maybe with Honda coming in competing with Penske's Porsche's we will see better racing in 2007.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see it two ways, sports car racing and race car racing. Sports cars look like something I can buy and race cars look like something I wish I could buy.

Car racing is like offshore boat racing. Every time someone doesn't like the rules they make their own racing organization. The offshore sport is all about dead, where 130-140 boats showed up 35 now race with no international credibilty or sponsors. Some race venues can't even get enough boats now to have a race. DOA.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cart/IRL is a lovers spat compared to the murder/suicide that is sports car racing begining with John Bishop leaving SCCA to form IMSA in 1971! Although both have had flashes of brilliance in the years between, the lack of cohesion(sp), clear ladder series, and enough cars to hold a race without resorting to multiple classes has allowed NASCAR to grow to the unchallenged top of American motorsport today (fan base, sponsor dollars, entrants).
Daytona Beach even has a large hand in road racing (not like they didn't have at least a thumb in it w/the Rolex 24).
Daytona Prototypes are ugly and technologicly dumbed down, ALMS and WC are a joke with champions decided by lobbyests and mid season rules changes. Trans Am is dead. Speedvision features 23 1/2 hours of NASCAR lifestyle programing every day during the week. ARRUGH...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

DP I guess are affordable, more cars added every year and close competition and a slew of manufacturers represented.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:46 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

True enough, but the grandstands are still empty.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John Shiels
DP I guess are affordable, more cars added every year and close competition and a slew of manufacturers represented.
Affordable is a relative term. A DP is still 500 - 600 K plus engine and electronics. DP are avalible where as LMP cars are few and far between.

and spectators or TV ratings, ALMS is free with that informationand publishes the numbers and ratings. GARR does not give that info out.

I inquired about getting a seat in a two different DP teams. Both teams said 30K per race.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

NASCAR, Monster Truck Jam, WWE, aren't they all the same thing? Unfortunatly its the marketing and the target audience not the racing.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Affordable is a relative term. A DP is still 500 - 600 K plus engine and electronics. DP are avalible where as LMP cars are few and far between.

and spectators or TV ratings, ALMS is free with that informationand publishes the numbers and ratings. GARR does not give that info out.

I inquired about getting a seat in a two different DP teams. Both teams said 30K per race.

30 is cheap for a race. Cars custom built 500 is cheap compared to other venues.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that I'd fix about the ALMS is to get more competition, especially in GT1. Why is it that the Saleen competes in the FIA GT series, but doesn't compete regularly in the ALMS?

DP's are boring to me. Are those even sports cars? I like the prototype class in the ALMS because it lets the manufacturer's flex their engineering muscle and show what they can do. The DP's neither resemble a sports car (that you can buy for the street) nor do they allow the manufacturer's to do much with them (like NASCAR). As far as I'm concerned, they can keep the series going for the relatively low price competition, but calling them sports cars is a major stretch IMO.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 PM
badhorse
Advanced

Default Count Your Blessings

The divide in sportscar racing is caused by the different goals of each series. Not like that foolish self destructive behavior we have seen in open wheel racing. Room for both in my opinion.
Daytona prototyes have come a long way in a short time. Very good if not great cars. Teriffic racing, big fields. ALMS keeps America in the worldwide picture. Glad to see it. Plus World Challenge, Trans Am, Daytona Cup, what's not to like. Sportcar racing has never been logical or very stable. These are great times, we should be counting our blessings.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by parkerracing
ALMS and WC are a joke with champions decided by lobbyests and mid season rules changes.
How were P2 and GT2 jokes?

P2 was a joke for most of the season due to just three cars, but van der Steur was waiting for their new Radical SR9 and B-K Motorsport's Courage C65 was damaged at Lime Rock Park.

Rule changes from March

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=1771

Rule change from early April (includes only GT2 change all year)

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=1914
Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

GT2 was the best subscribed and most stable of the ALMS classes, GT1 on the other hand.......
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

It'd help if privateer C6.Rs were available.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:23 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Privateers would have a hard time overcoming the race by race competition adjustments. The gap would have been much wider had that not been the factory team (te$ting).
Old 11-10-2006, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by micro
It'd help if privateer C6.Rs were available.
I think that can be arranged for 2007. $700,000 each plus $125,000 for a spare engine.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
John Wiz
Safety Car

Privateers would have a hard time overcoming the race by race competition adjustments. The gap would have been much wider had that not been the factory team (te$ting).
What testing... Doug Fehan made a post on the ALMS board. As part of the concession to get Aston Martin/Prodrive over here full time, Corvette Racing committed to do NO testing during the year... The only thing they were able to do was simulation runs via software.. So not only did they get slapped with changes, they could not test the car to see the impact until the weekend of the race.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:10 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

There won't be race by race adjustments next year, only two.

Get notified of new replies

To The State of Sports Car Racing in America

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The State of Sports Car Racing in America