Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of a newbie question about upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kind of a newbie question about upgrading

I have a 1992 S10 with fat tires and stiff shocks on it, and I knew my vette's handling needed to be upgraded when I was taking corners faster in my truck than my 1999 Z51 vette. So now I've got Z06 sway bars and C6Z06 shocks on the car, and it outhandles the truck now (big surprise I know ).

I have Z06 wheels, and the tires up front are the Nitto 555 street tires in 255/40/17 with plenty of tread. Out back are some some balding Nitto DR 305s that will be replaced soon.

My delimma is deciding what tires to put on the car. To save cash, I was going to put some Nitto 555 street tires on the rear and start having some fun. But I ran into a problem! When I was testing the car the shocks/sways were great at keeping the front stable and level, but I could make the front break traction fairly easily when cornering. It's predictable and controllable through the entire corner, but it was disappointing that I could slide the front end so easily.

I want to start getting some seat time and race! But, I have to get a matching set of street tires so I don't confuse myself with an imbalance in traction (... or do I?). My street Nitto's up front don't impress me AT ALL and at this point I'm not wanting to get another set for the rear! I don't mind having a weak link with my car, but even being a newbie I feel these tires are a crutch. So should I:

A) Be financially responsible and get a matching pair of street nittos for the rear?
B) Should I wait longer until I have the cash for some more capable street tires so the FRONT END doesn't break loose when barely pushing the car?
C) Go with option A and save up for a ZR1/GS wheel and sticky tire combo?
D) Upgrading is a never-ending cycle so save my money and get a cheaper hobby?

Maybe someone that races with street tires can help me out!! Thanks for reading, sorry for the newbie questions :o

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 11-09-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I can't speak to how far YOU should upgrade in terms of tires and wheels - your wallet will likely decide that.

Are you saying the car is pushing by saying the fronts are losing traction? Just want to clarify...

When was the car last aligned?

I'd definitely not be excited about racing with bald DR's on the rear. IMHO just get matching Nittos on the rear and race. You'll figure out after a while if racing tires are the right call.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

I've never had it aligned, so it's save to say that it's never been done. I was going to get that done after I get the new tires on there.

I don't know if the car is pushing? I'm not up to par with that term... but in Nascar terms it does seem that the car is tight right now. I'll go around the corner with the engine about 3500-4000rpm with light throttle, and the front end will loose traction before the rear like this.

But, maybe because the rears have a stickier compound would be the reason I'm not experiencing a loose condition? I'm afraid I'll be loose and tight when I get matching street nittos for the rear.

Last edited by KorbenDallas; 11-10-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet that 90% of your problem is the mix-matched rubber, the other 10% would be a good alignment.

Until you get a matching set of tires on there, don't mess with the suspension anymore.

My vote is go with option A, attend a few HPDEs, get a feel for driving at speed, wear out that set and 1 more set of street rubber, then get some GS replica wheels/track tires. Track tires make you faster, not better. The goal is to become a better driver so when you do switch to track tires you can really take advantage of the extra traction.

Tight = push = understeer = front hits wall first
Loose = oversteer = back hits wall first
Old 11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FroDaddy
I have Z06 wheels, and the tires up front are the Nitto 555 street tires
in 255/40/17 with plenty of tread. Out back are some some balding
Nitto DR 305s
Are the wheels 17x9.5 & 18x11? OEM or aftermarket?

There is no need to go to ZR1/GS wheels when what you have is nice
already. If you were thinking about having symmetric-sized wheels
(4 - 17x9.5) on all four corners, Z06 track wheels have been offered
here a few times during the fall.

The lowest cost approach is as BQuicksilver suggests -replace the
rears. You could choose Nitto - or Kumho or whatever other tire it
is you really want. If you go down from 305 to 285, the new rears
will be more closely matched to the 255's at the front. Yes, rear grip
will be down but over all balance will be up. A little less grip may
help during the learning curve.

As for the front sliding. More front wheel/tire could help, but changing
your cornering technique will be far less expensive. Slow down more
before turning in then you can use the throttle to balance the car.

Pushing and tight are both alternate terms for understeer. Loose is
an alternate term for oversteer.

Your '99 has never been aligned? Now is as good a time as any to
get it done. Use the 'Advanced Search' and check 'Archives' to
research recommended alignment settings for C5's. Decide which
is most appropriate for your intended usage - aggressive street,
autocross, road racing. There may be limits to what the shop
can achieve with a stock suspension so have back-up values if
the tech comes to you and says 'I can't get that much ...'

Old 11-10-2006, 01:24 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

I would say balance the car as much as you can, given that you got the 255s front. I think Nitto makes a 555 in 285/40r18, which will fit the back. It's what I have on my Z. I run 265s front, for the street. Match the rubber and get an alignment. Nothing too radical, but if it's never been aligned, chances are it's off pretty far. I've seen vettes straight from the museum that are out of whack.

Technique is the rest. Someone already said brake sooner so that you can get turned in faster and get back on throttle. He's right. Slow in, fast out. Or as Sir Sterling Moss once said "Better to go in slow and come out fast then go in fast and come out dead".
--Yak
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some OEM Z/06 17x9.5 wheels are available in C4 Parts for Sale

FS: Z06 front wheels, will fit C4!

Here is a full set Z06 wheels with rubber

Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by FroDaddy
I have Z06 wheels, and the tires up front are the Nitto 555 street tires in 255/40/17 with plenty of tread. Out back are some some balding Nitto DR 305s that will be replaced soon.
I want to start getting some seat time and race! But, I have to get a matching set of street tires so I don't confuse myself with an imbalance in traction (... or do I?). My street Nitto's up front don't impress me AT ALL and at this point I'm not wanting to get another set for the rear! I don't mind having a weak link with my car, but even being a newbie I feel these tires are a crutch.
First off, your mismatch in tires (255 street tires in front, 305 drag radials in back ) will always have the fronts losing grip before the rears. Tread depth means very little in terms of dry traction; I would be the fronts are pretty old and hard.

You don't have to replace your tires before your track time; in fact, it will be quite educational! You'll learn how your car understeers and how to use the throttle to increase/decrease front grip (or at least modulate what little front grip you've got ). I've run mismatched sets for my autocross for the past three years (I may not be the quickest, but I am the King of Cheap! ).

Point is, use up the rubber you don't really like now anyway. I'm assuming this is your first track day in this car. Take it easy and build up to the limits, and have fun!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Kind of a newbie question about upgrading

Quick Reply: Kind of a newbie question about upgrading