Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riggens Corvette chassie

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Riggens Corvette chassie

Here are a few pics of a Tommy Riggens Corvette chassie
run by the Stenvenson Corvette Grand Am team

Now I know my eyes are getting old, but do a few of you see I think I see in these next too photos?? ( center of pic)

Stevenson Motorsports
http://www.stevensonmotorsports.com/

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Now I know my eyes are getting old, but do a few of you
see I think I see in these next too photos??
Looks like they are on the road to Jerico

Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the front center post and the diagonals across the
windshield common?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, that is a Jerico 5 speed all right, just like mine!

Rear suspension:
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Are the front center post and the diagonals across the
windshield common?
Yes, keeps stray wheels/tires and stuff like that out of your lap
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
mash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a full blown GT1 car to me.

Mash
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I know race cars can stray quite a bit from the original vehicle they're based on, but this doesn't look very much like a Corvette to me... Only the body panels do, and they still don't look quite right (proportions, shape, I dunno)... I guess the same could be said of the C6R, but even that seems to more closely resemble the factory model than this one...

Do the other C5/6-based Corvette race cars usually relocate the transmission to the front? Was that a live rear axle? Please pardon my ignorance...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

from my point of view,,most all the REAL,,race cars are as much like the original as ...cup cars are stock cars..
but thats ,just my opinion,,
johnny
Old 11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fhturner
I know race cars can stray quite a bit from the original vehicle they're based on, but this doesn't look very much like a Corvette to me... Only the body panels do, and they still don't look quite right (proportions, shape, I dunno)... I guess the same could be said of the C6R, but even that seems to more closely resemble the factory model than this one...

Do the other C5/6-based Corvette race cars usually relocate the transmission to the front? Was that a live rear axle? Please pardon my ignorance...
Yes a live rear axle. That is a Grand AM Prep II GT corvette.

Prep I is the converted street car.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Yes a live rear axle. That is a Grand AM Prep II GT corvette.

Prep I is the converted street car.
converted as in....original frame rails?? or something else?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
converted as in....original frame rails?? or something else?
Complete tube frame. No orginal frame rails

Old 11-15-2006, 01:39 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

cool... sooooo as i stated..these cars are not corvettes...they are purpose built race cars using some corvette parts.....

gotta find a sponser and get me one..
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

and the brakes are? The rotor looks extra thick no?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Somebody mentioned the C6r being more of a closer to stock vette?

See here. Cool P&M shop pics.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575722
Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou Gigliotti's explanation of Prep 1 vs. Prep 2 from a previous thread:

"Hi Guys,

In Grand Am there is a prep 1 and a prep 2 level of build for the Corvette. You can start with a stock frame and build from there, but you have to use the stock suspension and drive line.

Prep 2 uses a full tube frame and can use a sequential gear box which is about a $40,000 hit without gears and spares.

The factory frame version gets a 100 pound weight break but it must use the stock gear box set up that has to use the clutch.

Brakes are the same in prep 1 & 2, as is the carbon fiber body. the prep 1 will cost about $160-$175k and the prep 2 will run an additional $50-70k to build. The prep 2 is also allowed to use a solid axle diff and normal hewland gear box and drive shaft but that set up is not any better than the stock C6 set up, although stronger.
The engine must remain stock blueprinted with forged parts and stock cam and no head porting. It puts out about 420 +/-

either way, it is endurance racing so the key is to run for hours at a time without break downs.

Unfortunately the Porsche 997 is a factory built race car, as is the GTO.r (pratt/miller) and that is hard for an independant to compete with. Still, it can be done with enough money. (money buys speed)

The other hard part is coming up with 2 drivers that are good enough and can help fund the effort.

In Grand Am, there is usually a money guy who can race but is not a pro. combined with a pro that has the team or contacts with a team.
Leighton Reese has been teamed with less than pro drivers for most of the races. He did have Tommy Archer and Dino Chrescentini as a driver in Daytona but he had a good non pro driver with the money that was off the pace. That has a huge impact on the results.

world Challenge cars also have to start with a factory frame but we can build the engine up with basically a cam and head package. We can aso run any engine management but still a 90 mm LS2 type throttle body with a 69.7mm restrictor plate and a 7400 rpm limit. We can forge the bottom end also but we must be within the spec weight limits for all the internal parts.
We get our engines inspected and sealed by SCCA before they even go in the cars. SCCA used to tear my engines down every other race before we had them sealed. they come right to the shop to seal them.

We sell a complete race ready World Challenge car for $170k or I sell my own car at the end of the season usually. Engines cost about $30k built to the max of the rules. We use a GM Motorsport gear box for $10k completely modified to the rules, and our diffs are a typical $3000 Corvette differential. LG carbon fiber drive shaft (of course), and a super cool radiator and LG Headers.

we use Stop Tech 14" 6 piston brakes up front and 4 piston in the rear.

It takes about 5-6 weeks to build a complete chassis, then anyother 5-6 weeks to make it into a full race car with full monoball suspension, wireing, fuel, plumbing, wheels tires, wings, Carbon body ($23,000 for the body) etc.

A Grand Am car would require all the same parts and labor just built to a different set of rules (like 13" brakes max).

World Challenge is a sprint race with one driver, which I like. I alone am responsible for all the good or BAD that happens.

At any rate, the World Challenge also only has TV for one class, not 2 like Grand Am. and if you are running 3rd in Grand Am GT you will not get much TV. and that is not a good way to promote the qualities of LG Pro Long Tube headers

From the drivers seat, both series are great. good racing and good fun. We are all going to kick the bucket sometime. The only question is whether we kick it with a high speed smile or not.

Also keep in mind that from the Cockpit, Track Days also bring a smile to our faces. I took 2003 off from racing. But I did more track days than you could imagine. More fun than most people have in a lifetime.

thanks guys

Hope this explains the two series from a builder/racer perspective.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti "
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Even in the 70's the real hardcore racecars only resembled the originals. My racers Corvette parts are frame(required) acid dipped with tube frame attached, front A arm's and spindles(modified), windshield, exterior door handles, rear window trim, and tail light lens. Everything else is race equipment or custom.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Great explanation on prep of WC and Grand am. How and where do ALMS GT cars fit in with those prep levels.?

Get notified of new replies

To Riggens Corvette chassie

Old 11-18-2006, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
Great explanation on prep of WC and Grand am. How and where do ALMS GT cars fit in with those prep levels.?
The ALMS/ LMS GT1 cars are built by Pratt & Miller. Link to photos of shop above.

The LMS GT3 cars are built( Converted C6Z06) by Calloway in Germany.

LG is building two ALMS GT2 cars as well.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:37 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

The Z06.R GT3 for the FIA GT3 Championship

http://www.corvettemotorsport.com/z06/car.htm
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

The ALMS/ LMS GT1 cars are built by Pratt & Miller. Link to photos of shop above.

The LMS GT3 cars are built( Converted C6Z06) by Calloway in Germany.

LG is building two ALMS GT2 cars as well.
Let me rephrase, After all, I did put that link up and the pics are not all telling. While I can see the stock frame, or at least part of it on the C6-r, I was more curious as to what mods were allowed in the gt classes of ALMS and are they similiar to that of GA and WC? Obviously we know that Pratt and Miller is spending way more manhours fabricating then probably anyone else in GA and WC (excluding their own CTSV and GTO.R's of course) and I am familiar with what a Katech motor costs for the car. It would seem to me that while maybe they must start with a stock frame, they are all wildy free on body and aero? I'm wondering about specs on suspension limitations and gearboxes and soforth? Any informed people out there?

Last edited by NJCRUISER; 11-19-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Riggens Corvette chassie