Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice for the Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 AM
C6-Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Need Advice for the Track

Hi this is my first time in my vette on the track and my stock Z51 rear tires with 10K miles on them are on the end of their life span.

I thought it would be a bad Idea to buy brand new tires and then beat the hell out of them on the track, so I just thought I kill my current runflats on the track and then change tires afterwards.

since I dont have much grip in my rears I thought I might track it with a full tank of gas so the extra weight on the rear would give me extra traction.

But what tire pressure should I go with for better grip on these worn out tires?

Thanx
Old 11-16-2006, 06:41 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

When you say track do you mean 1/4 or road course. That will impact responses. I'm a road course guy and your used SC F1's would be perfect in that enviroment (similar to shaved track tires). And on a road course I always run with a full tank.

The 1/4 guys will chime in shorthly I'm sure.

Tom
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Z51 tires are not bad for drag racing especially at stock HP levels. I heat them up a little but at my track you have to drive through the water box.

I run 24 in the rear and leave the fronts at 30.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaved track tires and street tires that are balding aren't the same thing. I think you'll find that the used up street tires won't provide you much grip, but I understand why you're using them.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toolman44092
Shaved track tires and street tires that are balding aren't the same thing. I think you'll find that the used up street tires won't provide you much grip, but I understand why you're using them.
Actually, I think you're making a big mistake. The one thing you want on a road course is as much grip as you can get. Running bald or near bald street tires is asking for trouble. The lateral forces on a road course can break your car loose before you even realize it. And if you are going hard enough and fast enough, not even active handling will save your a$$.

It's your car, your money and your life. But me, I'd spend the money and get the best set of tires I could before going on the track. You'll regret the decision to use up the last little bit of old tire when your Vette ends up in the Armco and your insurance company say, "sorry, Charlie, you were on the track, no coverage for you." Having the best tires you can is one of the best insurance policies you can invest in to avoid other consequences on the track, IMHO.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
The one thing you want on a road course is as much grip as you can get. Running bald or near bald street tires is asking for trouble. The lateral forces on a road course can break your car loose before you even realize it.
And, just to confuse things, I'll take the other side. First off, if this is your first time on track, you need an instructor with you. You also need to build up to the limits of the driver and the car; starting off with the fangs dragging the ground is surefire trouble, regardless of the equipment on the car.

Street tires have less traction than "hybrid" tires (Toyo RA-1, V700 Victoracers, etc.), which have less traction than Hoosiers or V710s, which have less traction than Goodyear racing slicks, ...

So, bump your tire pressures up to about 35f, 33r, go to the track, get an instructor, listen to the instructor, and start off slow. You'll have a blast!

Let us know how it goes, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

You shouldn't run with worn out or barely streetable street tires. However, with normal tread depth (11 to 12/32s deep) street tires you shouldn't run with brand new tires either if you can help it. With brand new tires you get a lot of tread squirm and chunking of the tread. If you are going to run the C6 Z51 EMT which starts out new at 8/32 then your tread depth is already reduced by the factory and you can run them with less handling problems.

Bill
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are going to run the C6 Z51 EMT which starts out new at 8/32 then your tread depth is already reduced by the factory and you can run them with less handling problems.
But still plenty of chunking.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the tires aren't bald, I think he'll be alright. Remember, the first time on the track, it's all about taking it easy, learning the line, and putting together complete, smooth, fluid laps. The speed will come gradually. Keep this in mind, and as long as you don't start tossing the car around *****-nilly from the get-go, you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and after that...rather than replacing your street tires and then using them at the next event, get yourself a second set of wheels and shod them with some new or scuffed road-racing slicks!

Fred
Old 11-17-2006, 11:09 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter how good we all thought we were our first time out it was a
lot slower than it looked at the time. Most people see street tires as
worn out when they get near the wear bars but if street tires are worn
evenly then going below that at the track isn't going to be a major issue
as long as you inspect them after each session. Don't want to be going
home on cord.

The real issue is to get instruction on the line and learn the track and
how to set yourself up to go faster in the future. The only cars I hear
with squealing tires in entry level groups are those that got off line and
had to make big corrections. Learn the line, look far ahead and stay
smooth with both throttle and brake and your tires will probably be good.
And enjoy the smile ...
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice for the Track

Quick Reply: Need Advice for the Track