Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment worked perfect

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment worked perfect

Since I purchased my C6 in 2005 I have done four or five track weekends with it. I was going through the two outside tires (on the outside of the tires) in 6 or 7 sessions. I did the moderate alignment from this page http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/toom...6alignment.htm and after eight sessions the tires are wearing as flat as can be. I did not check the heat but the wear is really even. It drove perfect on the street before the alignment at whatever settings the factory had done but it drives just as good on the street with this alignment. The only difference I can feel is that I did lose a little forward bite on the street. On race rubber I did not notice any difference in forward bite. I can't say the car drove any better on the track with the new alignment but Bobby Archer told me he thought the tires would go bad from heat cycles before they wear down to cord as they were doing before. I had all this alignment work done at the local Chev. dealer for less than $100.00 (all four wheels aligned). Just thought I would pass this along since it looks like it's going to save me a lot of greif in buying and mounting race rubber every few sessions.

Jerry
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it. A good alignment is golden. I'm a big fan of a local shop in Austin, but sounds like you got a great deal from the dealer. Now that's dialed in, you can get serious with the pyrometer and figure out the little stuff. And then let me borrow your pyrometer...
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by yakisoba
And then let me borrow your pyrometer...
It's in my box and you can use it any time.

Jerry
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between my first and second outings at MSR, I changed to C5 Z06 pads up front and changed to the moderate alignment setting. Dropped 2 seconds on the stock tires.

There was a thread questioning the rear toe settings, sounds like you didn't have any trouble with oversteer? Good turn-in?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:41 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
Between my first and second outings at MSR, I changed to C5 Z06 pads up front and changed to the moderate alignment setting. Dropped 2 seconds on the stock tires.

There was a thread questioning the rear toe settings, sounds like you didn't have any trouble with oversteer? Good turn-in?

No problems at all. The only oversteer problems I have are caused by my right foot!

Jerry
Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
No problems at all. The only oversteer problems I have are caused by my right foot!

Jerry
Jerry, now that you have an alignment that you (and your tires) like, do yourself a favor: Get under the car with one of those paint pens and mark all the eccentrics and tie rod ends.

Then, include in your pre-event check-out a verification that the alignment adjustments have not changed.

Enjoy...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Jerry, now that you have an alignment that you (and your tires) like, do yourself a favor: Get under the car with one of those paint pens and mark all the eccentrics and tie rod ends.

Then, include in your pre-event check-out a verification that the alignment adjustments have not changed.

Enjoy...

Frank Gonzalez
Good point!

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment worked perfect

Quick Reply: Alignment worked perfect