Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Car Progress...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Car Progress...

Well She's finally painted and back home... The track Zcar (*as in DATSUN) is back home and ready to be re-assembled... Check it out at http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and look in "Mike s painted Zcar" folder.

You'll notice the fenders have been cut our to allow the larger/wider tires we'll fit with new custom wheels (Probably 18X10s from CCW, Compomotive or Kodiak) and those painted flares laying on the floor (next to the front spoint) will be bolted on soon enough, along with a custom front bumper, and the front spoiler. We'll be fabricating a chinsplitter for it as well... Car is gonna look great. I hope it is as fast as it will look. At 2300 pounds (or less), I hope the little 383 stroker we've got for it will keep up with you LSx powered Vettes!

Now if I can find all the parts to put it back together!
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 11-19-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 AM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No photos are available
Sorry, day74z has not enabled any public albums in their account.
Learn more about sharing albums.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Try it again... I fixed it... Shoulda been dat and not day...

Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

More pics added, along with yet another folder, Mikes existing garage to show what the space looks like right now. I've got a 24X40 extension in the works and ground breaking will occur hopefully in January.

Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM
see5
Safety Car

Gees, I bought one of those new in 71, and it later became my CP car in which I got my butt kicked by Sharp and the big boys.
I love the thought of big power in that light car. What is the plan for the rear end and chassis stiffening? That was fairly early unibody and that structure fwd of the firewall is pretty light.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Well She's finally painted and back home... The track Zcar (*as in DATSUN) is back home and ready to be re-assembled... Check it out at http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and look in "Mike s painted Zcar" folder.

You'll notice the fenders have been cut our to allow the larger/wider tires we'll fit with new custom wheels (Probably 18X10s from CCW, Compomotive or Kodiak) and those painted flares laying on the floor (next to the front spoint) will be bolted on soon enough, along with a custom front bumper, and the front spoiler. We'll be fabricating a chinsplitter for it as well... Car is gonna look great. I hope it is as fast as it will look. At 2300 pounds (or less), I hope the little 383 stroker we've got for it will keep up with you LSx powered Vettes!

Now if I can find all the parts to put it back together!
Mike
Mike,

Awesome color choice, it looks sweet and it's not even done! Can't wait for the day when it fires and rolls on it's own!

Joe
Old 11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mighty fine Mike, Might fine.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

We've got a full 2X3 boxed frame rail joining the front and rear subframe. This whole process was done on a rotissery. We're using an Infinity Q45 rear diff with Custom SpeedWay Engineering axles. The gearing is a 3.54 ratio. I've got coil overs on all four corners and camber plates, along with the suspension I designed and sold for a number of years. The car will be able to dial in more camber and caster than could possibly be used.

The brakes employ Ford Cobra 13 inch rotors and PBR calipers up front. IN the rear I have a set of Z06 calipers to use with Cobra rear rotors. We're using Koni adjustable struts as well. I've also got about 8 sets of coil springs to use for track setup and we're using large diameter sway bars. This car is extemely rigid and should FLY!

Just posted more pics and added a new folder for my existing garage pics.
Mike
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car Mike.
I just got rid of my last Z (I've had 6 (4 - 240Zs, 1-260 & 1-280)), two of them had V8 engines, one was an original Scarab. I noticed that you don't have a strut bar joining the top of the rear strut housings to each other nor the cage. We were suprised in my '71 race car how much that area moved around under high cornering loads. A simple bar welded from the one tower to the other allowed us to go to a 50# softer spring on the rear of the car while still turning a faster time at Sears Point. We already had the track record in our class before putting in the bar and when we added the bar, the car became loose as a result of being stiffer. When we put in the softer springs in the rear and we dropped the record another 2/10ths.

Right now I'm building a BMW 325 Road Race car that is fitted with C5 front suspension and steering as well as an LS6 and T56. I was working on the fender flare molds today.

Keep up the good work, the Z looks great!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

We've got some more welding to do on the car. It's not quite done. However, I've got to cut the tops off the towers to weld in some camber plates, which is why we haven't braced the towers yet. They will get bracing...

This car is gonna be a blast to drive...
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Track Car Progress...

Quick Reply: Track Car Progress...