Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 w/ trailer hitch installed for track days

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:53 AM
StephenSmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 w/ trailer hitch installed for track days

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1406
Anybody doing this with their c6? Got pictures of the finished product? Thoughts on appearance? Any clearance issues after the install? Getting in the way of aftermarket exhaust? I'm thinking of purchasing the Ecklers hitch for transport of track wheels.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by StephenSmith
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1406
Anybody doing this with their c6? Got pictures of the finished product? Thoughts on appearance? Any clearance issues after the install? Getting in the way of aftermarket exhaust? I'm thinking of purchasing the Ecklers hitch for transport of track wheels.
I've got a De'laan hitch from e-trailer.com, it works very well for me. Plenty of room for my Magnaflow 14336's, a lot more than I had on my C5. The C5 exhaust banged against the hitch quite a bit, C6 does not which is great. The C6 seems to hang a little lower than C5, I notice it more but I don't care.

Here's what I do with mine:

Old 11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How big a pain was the hitch install? I still have the stock exhaust... also, which trailer are you using for tires? I want to do this next year, or I'm stuck with RA-1s for street/track.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:51 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The trailer in the pic looks like one of the Harbor Freight 4'x3' ones you can take home in a box and assemble it with simple tools.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153

My trailer is the one that uses the 12" wheels; they will carry a bit more cargo and the 12" tires are a bit more suited to freeway speeds. The one in Joe-G's pic is the 8" tire version: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42708

Add a piece of 3/4" plywood for a deck and a storage box and you're ready to go
Old 11-19-2006, 07:34 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The trailer in the pic looks like one of the Harbor Freight 4'x3' ones you can take home in a box and assemble it with simple tools.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90153

My trailer is the one that uses the 12" wheels; they will carry a bit more cargo and the 12" tires are a bit more suited to freeway speeds. The one in Joe-G's pic is the 8" tire version: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42708

Add a piece of 3/4" plywood for a deck and a storage box and you're ready to go
sweet setup, gonna have to look into that.
Great post
Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The hitch install's not too bad, 4 bolts. I had my shop do it because it's much easier on a lift. The 12" HF trailer would be better, but they didn't have that available back when I got mine. It has been great so far on highway trips, I grease the bearings pretty regularly. Both the 8" and 12" say to limit speed to 55 mph but I don't nor do any of the 6 or 8 other guys in our track group that have these trailers. The trailer assembly is tedious, there are hundreds (it seems) nylock nuts. I wore out the battery in my battery impact putting it together.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
StephenSmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W Neal,

Where did you get your trailer? I like the little casters in the front too. Enhances mobility for sure.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

W Neal,

Where did you get your trailer? I like the little casters in the front too. Enhances mobility for sure.
Thats not my trailer I was just commenting that I need to check into one like it.

I am trailerless at this point
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

W Neal,

It's my trailer. The front tongue jack is also from Harbor Freight. It's a screw design so it can be raised off the hitch ball whe I drop the trailer. Once the trailer is hooked up, it swivels to horizontal. Costs about $17 when it's on sale. It bolts on with two U-bolts and it makes it real easy to move the trailer around.

BTW, the box is from Home Depot. I think it''s a Contico brand and they go for under $50.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 w/ trailer hitch installed for track days

Quick Reply: c6 w/ trailer hitch installed for track days