Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smart struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Steelman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart struts

1994 Corvette with many mods. Has anyone used Vette Brakes smart struts? They say that the struts, with brackets, change the geometry so that the rear camber is maintained throughout the suspension travel. That sounds good, but is it true?
Thanks, Ralph

Last edited by Steelman; 11-19-2006 at 04:24 PM. Reason: left out the year
Old 11-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't use the Vette brakes smart strut, but I did install Exotic Muscle Heim jointed camber rods as well the Exotic Muscle modified rear camber bracket; which amounts to the same as the Smart strut but heim jointed. The rear end is definitely less twitchy. I used to get a sudden snap oversteer exiting turns under power which resulted in some pretty hairy spins before implementing the above changes (and poly bushing at the same time.) I think it is worth getting.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

There was a thread about them a while back. Yes, they lessen the camber change due to wheel travels, but they also lower the roll center, so the net effect may be the same.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Steelman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart strurs

Based on the response, it sounds like they would be a waste of time and money. Will continue on.
Thanks,
Ralph
Old 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintaining near zero camber change during suspension travel is important for track use. So is near zero toe change that can also be adjusted with the toe link location.

Get notified of new replies

To smart struts

Quick Reply: smart struts