Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Season of HPDE completed This is like a drug !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default 1st Season of HPDE completed This is like a drug !!!! (What I learned)

Welp,
Finished my 1st season of HPDE (5) and had a great time.
Had 3 great instructors
Harry Dunn
Fred Giambi
Joe Gaudette

thanks also to Dan Popp who set up my car and gave some great advice, as well as helping maintain it in perfect condition.
Can't forget my racing buddy Sam Pantano either. Competition made me better

Thanks guys for your insight and instruction. I feel as though I have made great strides but obviously have a great deal to learn.

Everything I have read in this forum and elsewhere is true. anyone else just starting, read it and take it to heart.

Some things I learned:

1. Corvettes are the greatest thing since sex and sliced bread, and spam.

1A. SAFETY FIRST
Good car, good brakes, good mindset

2. Everyone involved in this sport is first class, I have made many friends and am looking forward to many more. I have not once been lacking for assistance and advice.

3. Leave your ego at home, listen and learn from those who know. It works (I triied my very best at this but not 100% sucessful ) Probably not alone in this.

4. Forget speed, learn HOW TO DRIVE, the speed will come all by itself. Looking forward to more of that in the future, after all, that is why we do this ain't it. Without driving skills, your speed will hit a wall and you will not improve past that point. I feel as though I have driven very fast, top so far about 135, BUT, I feel at ease and very safe doing it.

5. Maintain your car in top condition.

6. If you are like me, don't worry about souping your new Vette up at this point. As a newbie, the car has more than I can take from it anyway.

7. If you get tired on the second day, Watch, Don't drive. I had one event where I was already to go for the last session and then suddenly got a little sick to my stomach from lunch. Absolutely hated to miss the heat but I do not regret sitting it out. Prolly would have turned out bad.

8. When you are in your car, on the track with your instructor, he is the only one that matters at that point. Listen closely and follow their advice, even though it may be a bit different from your last instructor. Show them the respect they deserve by following their advice, and learn something at the same time. I have found that if they recognize your interest to learn and do it right, they will spend the time with you that you need Buy em a drink at lunch

9. Prepare yourself mentally and physically, Don't just jump in and hit the gas.

10. If you have a car behind you, let them around, even if you can take em on the straightaway. I wise man I heard once said, If you see that car behind you again and again, God did not put him there, he is FASTER than you !!!

11. DO NOT drive faster than you are comfortable with

12. Damn, I haven't even touched on driving skills yet, but a quick review of things I learned and am practicing
a. Seating and Hand position
b. Brake straight, at least for now
c. Smooth = speed
d. Drive YOUR line, not the car in front of you
e. Heel Toe is great when you get it down (I think I am doing
very well with this)
f. Pass when given the signal, do not pass when not given the
signal
g. In slow, out fast Believe me on this one, I know what
can happen
h. Eyes UP, Eyes UP, Eyes UP
I. And all the stuff my instructors have taught me and I already
forgot, which reminds me, you can easily be overwhelmed,
Just progress at a pace you can handle.

And last but not least
HAVE FUN, I KNOW I HAD A BLAST

Last edited by WNeal; 11-19-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SORRY THINGS GOT SCREWED UP AT NELSONS BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER BUT MABE YOU CAN COME OUT AND RUN WITH US NEXT YEAR....... I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED... DRIVING IS A GOOD DRUG. IT NEVER GETS OLD....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review of a first year, too often I think we all tend to forget what
it was like in the beginning. After several more years I can tell you that
is does get better ... there is just so much more to learn. Still!
Randy
Old 11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh. Glad it was a good year for you. Sounds like much of the same stuff we learn down in Texas. Good fortune next year. It is really addictive stuff, and the community I've seen so far is very supportive and cordial.

I think the main thing is really getting used to the speed. Many of the tricks of the track you can learn on the street (heel-toe shifting, proper lines, looking ahead, seat position, smoothness, hands, and on) but one thing you can't get used to is the speed. That takes seat time, and lots of it, but it's worth it. Now, 140 looks pretty comfy to me, and the braking cycle at the end of it is normal, rather than pucker-time.

Seat time is the single best thing you can do for your driving, IMHO, and there's no place to get as much of it for the money as HPDEs.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Can't forget my racing buddy Sam Pantano either. Competition made me better
I'm so addicted I had to come to Florida for the winter to continue feeding my habit...I up to 2 events per month...quite the monkey on my back....

BTW Bill, I think your little discertation is a cry for help...

All kidding aside, nice write-up and I enjoyed driving with you. I know you will be tough to stay with next spring. You are focused and determined....plus a fireman which makes you tops in my book.

Last edited by Z06_505; 11-20-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Great review of a first year, too often I think we all tend to forget what
it was like in the beginning. After several more years I can tell you that
is does get better ... there is just so much more to learn. Still!
Randy

with Randy.

Good Job
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 AM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Great review Bill, can't wait for next year.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Bill,
I am glad you had a safe season. Seat time equals speed. Perhaps a thing to think about for next year is a basic data acqusition system. They are very usefull, but very humbling. Your comments will be:

"damn, I screwed that up again"
"no way I lifted there, I thought I was flat through there"
"why do I see 1.1 G's in the slow corners, but only .9 in the sweepers?"
"I had no idea I was lifting into the NASCAR oval so much then speeding up through it."

Good luck next year!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

nice write-up...

If you haven't yet do yourself a favor and add a video camera. I did that at the end of this year and places that I thought I was close to the apex I realized I had more room. It is a big help with reviewing.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
nice write-up...

If you haven't yet do yourself a favor and add a video camera. I did that at the end of this year and places that I thought I was close to the apex I realized I had more room. It is a big help with reviewing.

I have made a lot of video since starting
Thanks to Todd Chapman for the Camera Mount

It is very easy to spot mistakes when reviewing them and I have learned from it as well. I would recommend it to anyone starting.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

William,
You have said it all...well, not quite all. I too have finished my first year along with you at CMP (the Monty Red you shot in T14) and repeat a modified list of things learned by a novice driver offered in an earlier post:

1. The 4-3-2-1 markers do not indicate the gear you should be in.
2. The Green-Yellow-Blue groups do not segregate run sessions by car color.
3. That hand taped protective stuff on the front and around some of the cars is now produced in sizes Big Honker 36 D, DD and DDD by a joint venture of Home Depot, Callaway and Victoria’s Secret.
4. The one tool you most need you won't have; if you do have it you will injure a finger with it and curse bringing it.
5. I plan to finance my future events with contributions to benefit the Widow of the Unknown Soldier loaned to me until she shows up.
6. I was told the car was a beast so I thought the model designation was pronounced “Zoo 6”. Honest mistake I think.
7. The first time at the track I was so bad my instructor told me the best chance of improving was to change my name to Bubba, move into a trailer with a huge satellite dish on the front lawn and watch the Speed channel.
8. With all the Northeners taking up driving events, pretty soon Michelin Pilot tires will be available in whitewalls.
9. Fire hydrants are not apex markers.
10. Tire life is measured in weekends, not miles.
11. Q: If Jody, Jeff and Tom are in the same car, who is driving?
A: The arresting officer.

It has been an awesome year, 5 events, and now fully addicted looking at CHIN, NASA and club events. The people I have met have all been helpful, encouraging and know how to have great safe and legal fun! Thanks to all!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 AM
tchapma1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WNeal

I have made a lot of video since starting
Thanks to Todd Chapman for the Camera Mount
No problem on that one, cheap an easy.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st Season of HPDE completed This is like a drug !!!!

Quick Reply: 1st Season of HPDE completed This is like a drug !!!!