Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed... Midwest Driving Schools

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:58 AM
SpeedTeacher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed... Midwest Driving Schools

We are looking to do the One Lap of America this year. It is a requirement to have attended at least two high speed schools that consist of both classroom and on-track time (with instructors). I have never attended a track day or anything.
Funds are limited, so in order to do the event in 2007, I have to watch every penny. So, my question is... can anybody point me to to a good school that meets the One Lap requirements? I saw a post earlier about one in North Carolina (Turn One?). Something closer would be better. Also, if it is on the weekend it would help, so I can save my time off for zooming around the county with One Lap.

I own a driver's school, but it is targeted toward autocross and those new to the sport.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Todd James
No Limit Performance Driving School (Autocross)
Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

NASA does a lot of driving schools in the Mid-west.

http://racenasa.nasamidwest.com/

You can ususally do a one day school for $150 or so, depending on the track. There are million other schools I can recommend in Ohio and Michigan, but I don't know who qualifies for one lap.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:02 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious why you would want to do OneLap if you've never done a number of HPDE's? It's a grueling 9 days on tracks that most of the other entrants will be familiar with. You would be at a great disadvantage without at least one full season of HPDE in spite of your autocross experience.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 PM
SpeedTeacher
Instructor

Originally Posted by robvuk
I'm curious why you would want to do OneLap if you've never done a number of HPDE's? It's a grueling 9 days on tracks that most of the other entrants will be familiar with. You would be at a great disadvantage without at least one full season of HPDE in spite of your autocross experience.
We are looking to do One Lap for the experience of it. The grueling 9 days of driving across the country, punctuated by the thrill of running tracks I've never been on and meeting neat people all around the country... I guess I don't understand your question...

Seriously though, we wouldn't enter to win. We don't have anything near the budget to compete, even if we had lots of experience. We just want to go out and do something that few people can say they have done. We would be in the same class as Danny Popp... I think that would be awesome!
To give you an idea... I drove to North Carolina (on the ocean side) to pick up a Corvette this summer. I left Friday after work, got there Saturday afternoon, loaded it up and was back in Fort Wayne by lunch on Sunday. I love to drive and I love to tell stories. The One Lap experience... what a great story to tell.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SpeedTeacher
We are looking to do One Lap for the experience of it. The grueling 9 days of driving across the country, punctuated by the thrill of running tracks I've never been on and meeting neat people all around the country... I guess I don't understand your question...

Seriously though, we wouldn't enter to win. We don't have anything near the budget to compete, even if we had lots of experience. We just want to go out and do something that few people can say they have done. We would be in the same class as Danny Popp... I think that would be awesome!
To give you an idea... I drove to North Carolina (on the ocean side) to pick up a Corvette this summer. I left Friday after work, got there Saturday afternoon, loaded it up and was back in Fort Wayne by lunch on Sunday. I love to drive and I love to tell stories. The One Lap experience... what a great story to tell.
I hear ya!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

We are looking to do the One Lap of America this year. It is a requirement to have attended at least two high speed schools that consist of both classroom and on-track time (with instructors). I have never attended a track day or anything.
Funds are limited, so in order to do the event in 2007, I have to watch every penny. So, my question is... can anybody point me to to a good school that meets the One Lap requirements? I saw a post earlier about one in North Carolina (Turn One?). Something closer would be better. Also, if it is on the weekend it would help, so I can save my time off for zooming around the county with One Lap.

I own a driver's school, but it is targeted toward autocross and those new to the sport.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Todd James
No Limit Performance Driving School (Autocross)
Fly to racespringmountain.com near Las Vegas and learn the proper techniques on a weekend 2day course they offer. Then you can say you did two cool things that most have not done. Being in a skid car and some other safety manuevers might come in handy

good luck and have fun with whatever you do!

Corrected name

Last edited by TicketBait; 11-22-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:17 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

NASA would be the most cost effective way to do it. 2 NASA events would run you about $800 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than any one of the bigger name driving schools, Spring Mountian, Skip Barber etc. Plus you can do it in your own car, possibly at tracks that you will run for the OLOA. Last year OLOA ran 4 tracks in the Midwest; Road America, Autobahn, Mid America Motorsports Park, and Putnam Park.
So if you can do NASA at 2 of these tracks before the event you'll meet the requirement and possibly gain some experiance usefull for the OLOA. Either way good luck the OLOA gets a lot of attention on this board.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:45 AM
SpeedTeacher
Instructor

Thanks for the comments everybody. Spring Mountain is on my wish list, but it won't happen in '07. Well, I had given up on the '07 OLOA but I might have to revisit it... the funding might be there (thanks to NASA).
Does anyone know how to make Ramen Noodles while driving down the interstate in a C5? I guess I better learn.

Todd James
Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs will have 3 driving schools at Blackhawk Farms in 2007. April, June and September. They also do Mini schools at all of their high speed timetrials events at Autobahn, Blackhawk,GingerMan and Milwaukee Mile. We have quite a few OLOA guys that compete at our MCSCC events.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:47 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone know how to make Ramen Noodles while driving down the interstate in a C5? I guess I better learn.

Todd James
Just eat em' like rice cakes!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously though, we wouldn't enter to win. We don't have anything near the budget to compete, even if we had lots of experience. We just want to go out and do something that few people can say they have done. The One Lap experience... what a great story to tell.
You got me on several points.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:18 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I say do it, it's on my list. YOu might have to wait a couple years though, I'm thinking spring of 2008
Old 11-23-2006, 01:33 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I say do it, it's on my list. YOu might have to wait a couple years though, I'm thinking spring of 2008
I'll co-drive...the M3 will be gone by then, I should have a C6 Z06 we can take
Old 11-24-2006, 09:27 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Lap of America looks like fun, everything in the world is entered from race cars to stock VW Beetles, I hope to go to the MidOhio leg in May.
Drop Lou G, at "LG MOTORSPORTS" a line he teach's on occasion at an Indiana track and is one of the most accomplished driver in this forum.
David

Get notified of new replies

To Advice Needed... Midwest Driving Schools

Quick Reply: Advice Needed... Midwest Driving Schools