Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To track or not to Track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:05 PM
tylerz28ss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To track or not to Track?

I just posted this in the C6 general fourm and have had some great responses...I figured it may reach some track guys over here though:

There is a track day in ATL next weekend...I really want to go, but I have a few reservations:

-my C6 is my daily driver, and my only car...

-I will be commuting 100 or so miles to the track with the car I want to put on the track.

- If something were to break, the warranty probably won't fix it, and I will be stuck at the track...

- If I were to be so unfortunate to wreck my car, insurance will most likely leave me in the dark?

-My car is non-Z-51...so my rotors are probably going to warp?

On the other hand:

-I hate to be one of those guys who doen't use their car for what they were intended for (I pick on guys who have trucks and suv's all the time about them not using their vehicles...like their z71 off road)

-I have always wanted to do this, and now I have a car that is worthy and very capable

-I will be in the lowest skill class available (they call it the "C" class)...so I don't know how hard the car will actually be driven in this class

Anyone who has experience in this matter, please chime in...I can use every viewpoint available especially in the eduquitte of this lower-skill level class (like: since there is no passing, will people be pissed if I am a little less comfortable at going faster than they are?, etc, etc...)
This is a matter in which I have been debating and have no experience...THANKS!!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
TTA89
Advanced

If something mechanical were to break it would be covered unless you specifically told them it broke while racing.

You will probably chew up the pads but in the noobie group I doubt you'll be doing enough to strain the rotors.

Everyone seems to say "If you can't afford to leave it on the track, don't take it on the track"

That said, I have tracked cars that I was making payments on. In the noobie groups you'll be fine, most of the people that wreck cars are in the intermediate classes and start pushing the limits.

I wouldn't say that nothing will happen but chances are that you will be fine, although I would pretty much expect that your insurance company will not cover you.

Its a lot of fun but you don't need to buy a brand new corvette to do track days.

There is tons of info about this, I would go do it. The car can easily do it. Just a warning that you will be hooked.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I have been driving on the track for quite some time in a variety of cars. Some better suited than others for the track. Just listen to your car and your brakes. No need to go 10/10th out there and even a 8/10th you still have a great time and get to drive home afterwards!

Long before I had a car trailer there was this wonderful thing called a AAA Plus card. Towed me home on more than one occassion from the track if there was a problem. Being a newer car I doubt you will have any mechanical problems.

Prepare your car a little, put in some better brake fluid, and have a great time.

See: http://www.bauerracing.net/Prepare/DriversEd.htm
for some tips and wisdom I have put together over the years for various car clubs I have belonged too.

You are bound to see a variety of cars on the track not as well setup as your stock Corvette. Go have fun and learn a little about yourself and your car!

Nice little chase video of me from a friends car

Last edited by qwik96GS; 11-21-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
tylerz28ss
Instructor

Yeah, I just called the insurace company: they said they would not cover it...and I can't afford any mishaps...so I believe I'll have to wait for another day...and I know I'll be hooked!! I suppose I'll just delay the addiction...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Many insurance companies will cover incidents drivers education on none timed events. However that being said, I would sooner say I went off the road avoiding a deer before I said anything about being at the track!

You have to keep in mind that the majority of these events are safer than driving on the highway. You are all going the same direction on a road with lots of run off. You drive at speeds "you" feel comfortable. There is no pace car and no one is pushing you to drive faster than you want too...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
Yeah, I just called the insurace company: they said they would not cover it...and I can't afford any mishaps...so I believe I'll have to wait for another day...and I know I'll be hooked!! I suppose I'll just delay the addiction...
Interesting. There are several known insurance companies that do not cover DEs, but most do. Many DO NOT cover timed competitive events. If asked, they will say they don't cover, but read the policy. Mine says that they don't cover racing, which is a timed competitive event. DEs are not that (or they should not be, and still be called DE).

I have also heard (thus, this is hearsay) that even if your insurance covers you in the event of a mishap, they will drop you soon after. Thus, you get one good screwup paid for, and than have to switch providers. Not sure if this is true.

As for the warranty on the car, if it's a factory warranty, I thought it would cover everything, no matter the circumstances. Thus, the benefit of having a new car is that you can drive the crap out of it, and when it breaks, the dealer fixes it. I sure do know plenty of 06 Z drivers that are doing that.

As for risk: I make a car payment, and have tracked my daily driver for the last year and a half. It's very fun, and I hope nothing happens, but I'm taking a calculated risk. Am I more conservative than others in my class? Yes. I drive where I'm confortable, though that's led to a couple spins, and so on. To me it's worth it. YMMV.
--Yak
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
tylerz28ss
Instructor

Yeah, I thought they would cover an non-timmed event...I made sure I was clear that these were not racing conditions, etc, etc; but she called me back and said she spoke to the claims person and the writer and they said that more or less: 'even though they do not consider the activity a race, if something were to occur with the result being damage to the car or bodily injury, that the activity would then be considered racing and thus not covered by any policy that they have' - she encouraged me to check with other insurance companies.

My personal thoughts are that I have a better chance getting in a wreck on the street than I would under the conditions which I would allow myself to drive on a road course...I definitely would not step out of my comfort zone...I mean, most people do worse things on the highway than I would on a road course (some of my ricer 'friends' for example tell me about all of the absolutely stupid things that they do)...and my question then is: If you do something stupid on the street while doing some 'spirited driving' and wreck...would insurance not cover that?

As for the warranty: I've read in the Owner's manual about race preping the car...but I've also read the part where it says that the factory warranty won't cover failures due to racing...I'll have to quote the page number later...

What are your feelings on the insurance deal?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HPDEs IMO aren't racing. You'll learn more about controlling your car at speed and have an instructor along. In some circles the DE even stands for Drivers Education. Who wouldn't want you to get more education ?

I also think you got some insurance double-speak - they don't consider it a race - but if you wreck they're going to say you were. Is your agent Yogi Berra ?

I'd be talking to another insurance company.

Last edited by FB#1; 11-21-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You need to change insurance companies immediately. That's !!!!!! I had the same reservations as you before my first school. I called USAA and they said that since it's a school, it was covered. And, since it's not racing, your warranty should cover anything that might break (but probably nothing will). They always did on mine over the past 17 years!!! As long as you don't have a cage in the car...

I'm serious about the insurance company - scrap 'em! It's a school...making you a better driver so you'll get in fewer accidents... what part of that don't they understand. Give your premiums to a company who understands that - there are plenty of them!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
I've been fortunate to have cars other than my daily driver to take to the track. But most of the same issues come up. For you to attend a track day event, especially in a novice group, the risks are fairly minimal. Probably no more than the risks you take on the highway every day. And actually, you will be driving in a very controlled environment, likely with an instructor in the car with you, and you will not be pushing your car to its limits, or even anywhere close to that.

IMHO, go out and give it a try. It is not something to be afraid of. If you really like it, you can go from there and decide how far you want to take it with your daily driver. If not, at least you gave it a try.

And, by the way, don't trust your insurance company to give you the right answer. Take out your policy and read the coverage and exclusions portions of the policy. You may find that it excludes all events on the track. Or, you might be surprised and find that it only excludes racing involving timed events, finishing order or prizes. If you ask the insurance company or an agent, they will always say no, no coverage. Read the policy. That's what controls your coverage, not what they tell you.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you feel you can't afford losing your car, don't do it, especially after your insurance said they would not cover you.

Also, if you are planning on running the panoz event, I would not recommend this for a first timer. Saturday you would be in C group which is lead follow, and Sunday you would be in B with no instructor, and a lot of walls to hit at road atlanta.

Tim
Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FB#1
HPDEs IMO aren't racing. You'll learn more about controlling your car at speed and have an instructor along. In some circles the DE even stands for Drivers Education. Who wouldn't want you to get more education ?

I also think you got some insurance double-speak - they don't consider it a race - but if you wreck they're going to say you were. Is your agent Yogi Berra ?

I'd be talking to another insurance company.

I get cut off and slammed on the street daily driving my dooley. I have seen few accidents in 7 years of HPDE and I can't remember one on track incident were the driver caused it by being over his head.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
You need to change insurance companies immediately. That's !!!!!! I had the same reservations as you before my first school. I called USAA and they said that since it's a school, it was covered.
Chris, that is NOT the case any more with USAA. They have been dropping people for even asking about HPDE coverage. There was a thread on here and on Rennlist earlier this season.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Road Atlanta is NOT a forgiving track. Lots of concrete with very little run-off area. Likely to be COLD at R/A in December... and as Tim says.... Sunday is group B... no instructor in the car, as I recall.

I suggest waiting for a D E Event at CMP or Roebing Road... much safer tracks.

GM will cover normal wear & tear... no problem.

Insurance is another matter. Read your policy.... closely. Many companies will no longer cover ANY damage while on a track.

We have had discussions both here & at Rennlist about the Insurance issues. Do a " search" !!!

Cya @ the track,,

Trumper

Last edited by trumper Z06; 11-21-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

As far as warranty goes on a stock car how could anyone tell where you were at when the problem occured?

Nobody goes into a dealer saying "Well I was bouncing off the rev limter in 2nd gear limiter in turn 2 when X happened!"

Dealers for the most part are not to be trusted with anything. Even if I was canyon carving on the street and broke something they would be the last one I'd tell...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

No Fear !!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

The knock on dealers may be overblown, I know, some are really bad but
after street driving for a year and a half and then starting tracking with
just a few events the first year i got up to about 80 events in the past
four years. In that time I've added brake ducts to both front and rear,
an external oil cooler, fire extinguisher and harness bar. With all that in
or on the car I've had two different dealers swap out my Steering Sensor,
then the rear brake module, according to them. About 2 years later
they swapped out the ABS system and upgraded the programming on
the AH system. All under warranty, done properly and still keeping me
on track. If you go about tracking as driving school and don't push too
hard it isn't going to ruin the car or put you into walls. JOMO
Randy

In the last year I've seen three Z06's get into walls at timed events and
in the end they were all paid off by insurance. Some times it might be
just going at it without demands and letting them decide they don't
want to fight it. No matter what the agent or underwriter tells you it
is really about what the policy says.

Get notified of new replies

To To track or not to Track?

Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
As far as warranty goes on a stock car how could anyone tell where you were at when the problem occured?

Nobody goes into a dealer saying "Well I was bouncing off the rev limter in 2nd gear limiter in turn 2 when X happened!"

Dealers for the most part are not to be trusted with anything. Even if I was canyon carving on the street and broke something they would be the last one I'd tell...

Won't the "black box" do all the telling in that case?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Correct me if wrong but as I understand the black box it records
something like 30 seconds and then shuts down in a crash, so no
additional recording. I'd like to know if it is beyond that.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I know State Farm had a new provision a few months back that they do not cover anything that happens on a closed track.

Quick Reply: To track or not to Track?