Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lewis Hamilton Taking Second Seat At McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lewis Hamilton Taking Second Seat At McLaren

Lewis Hamilton will take the second seat at Mclaren, with Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett staying with McLaren as test drivers for 2007.

Jubilant Lewis Hamilton released a statement to confirm he was indeed going to be racing alongside fernando Alonso at Mclaren next season.

"It's a dream come true," Hamilton said in a statement. "To be racing in Formula 1 with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me."

"I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me," Hamilton said. "However, the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

Lewis Hamilton had joined the McLaren's young driver program in 1998, since then he has enjoyed phenomenal success, the highlight to date being his GP2 championship this season.

"Since 1998 Lewis has formed an important part of our long-term strategy and we are pleased that we are able to help him take another step and achieve his dream of becoming a Formula 1 racing driver," McLaren chairman Ron Dennis said.

Ron Dennis also thanked Pedro for his contributions to the team, "Pedro has done an outstanding job for us this season but we felt it was the right time to provide Lewis with this opportunity."

Pedro De la Rosa took the news with little surprise, "The fact that Lewis will be in the car comes as no surprise," he said. "Obviously I would have preferred to race myself but also understand why the team has decided to put Lewis in the car. I wish him all the best and look forward to continue working with him."

Now with the team driver line up finally confirmed, Mclaren can concentrate fully on bringing success back to woking, where it belongs.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s13....htm?fromrss=1
Old 11-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent! Can't imagine what took them so long to decide.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:43 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Can't imagine what took them so long to decide.
I don't think it did take him this long to decide. I think that holding back the announcement was just a ruse to create more positive buzz surrounding McLaren.

When Ron Dennis told JPM that his services would no longer be needed at McLaren, the first thing that came to my mind was that Ron Dennis was making room for his protégé Lewis Hamilton.

I don't mind Alonso or Hamilton, but I'm not very happy with Ron Dennis because of the JPM situation. I personally hope that McLaren gets their as*ses handed to them next season.

Get notified of new replies

To Lewis Hamilton Taking Second Seat At McLaren

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton Taking Second Seat At McLaren