Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicals and low sulfer fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Tow Vehicals and low sulfer fuel

Frick'n new Laws for Jan 2007.

Desiel fuel trucks produced AFTER Jan 1 2007, must have all the new polution controls too only use the NEW low sulfer fuels.

So what is going to happen to all the Desiels now?? can they use the new low sulfer desiel? or will there be some convertions so they can use the new low sulfer fuels.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Frick'n new Laws for Jan 2007.

Desiel fuel trucks produced AFTER Jan 1 2007, must have all the new polution controls too only use the NEW low sulfer fuels.

So what is going to happen to all the Desiels now?? can they use the new low sulfer desiel? or will there be some convertions so they can use the new low sulfer fuels.
My understanding is that the low sulfur diesel is to augment the lower emissions of the newly equipped trucks, not a requirement thereof. Older trucks should run just fine (maybe better?) on the cleaner fuel. In fact I think a lot of the stations around here already have it... I'm wondering if it will raise prices per gallon?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the deisel guys got up in arms about this. It is nothing to even spend 1 second worrying about. The new emissions equipment requires this fuel or it will get trashed really quick, '06 and older trucks don't have the emissions systems that will get screwed up. My '06 Duramax doesn't run ANY different on the low sulfur stuff. As usual, it's just another thing that poeple flip out over for no reason because one person on the internet has an issue. Drive on!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
My '06 Duramax doesn't run ANY different on the low sulfur stuff. As usual, it's just another thing that poeple flip out over for no reason because one person on the internet has an issue. Drive on!
Cool thanks Joe
Old 12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Not that it will affect you guys but us in the trucking industry are screwed. This is entirely different but when the screw with our fuel it hurts bad. When they first came out with "low sulfur fuel" a few years ago, I had to replace 2 fuel pumps due to the lack of lubrication in the fuel. Now with the even lower standards and the new emission control devices its going to be interesting. A couple frinds of mine have the new engines. I have a 2006 standards enging and I get around 5.5 MPG avg. Not great but livable. These guys are getting 3.5 MPG right now. RGranted the engines are new and need to be broken in but thats ridiculous!!! On a bad day my engine when new got 4 MPG. Friggin EPA.

I heard that there was a study done and the results were that the average gasoline powered car puts out way more pollutants than any deisel. I need to research this. Anyone have any data?

You guys with your pickups and duallies will be fine. If you know anyone that owns their own truck and are thinking of buying one, tell them to buy a 2006 standards engine.

Bob
Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Not that it will affect you guys but us in the trucking industry are screwed. This is entirely different but when the screw with our fuel it hurts bad. When they first came out with "low sulfur fuel" a few years ago, I had to replace 2 fuel pumps due to the lack of lubrication in the fuel. Now with the even lower standards and the new emission control devices its going to be interesting. A couple frinds of mine have the new engines. I have a 2006 standards enging and I get around 5.5 MPG avg. Not great but livable. These guys are getting 3.5 MPG right now. RGranted the engines are new and need to be broken in but thats ridiculous!!! On a bad day my engine when new got 4 MPG. Friggin EPA.

I heard that there was a study done and the results were that the average gasoline powered car puts out way more pollutants than any deisel. I need to research this. Anyone have any data?

You guys with your pickups and duallies will be fine. If you know anyone that owns their own truck and are thinking of buying one, tell them to buy a 2006 standards engine.

Bob
I had heard about possible lack of lubrication from my brother-in-law. He started a rigging company and his tractor is a 1999 Kenworth. I think it has an inline 6 International in it, not 100% sure though. He hasn't had issues yet, but he has noticed a lower milage reading too especially when he is over 50,000 lbs. I think the loads that over the road trucks pull really magnify if there are any gas milage issues, but my pickup at least hasn't seemed to suffer. FWIW the only horror story in a light duty truck i have heard ( one that can be directly connected, not the possibilities that many on the deisel boards are touting ) was an injector pump on a Powerstroke Ford, or should I say an International. Apparently it was a lub issue too.

Too me, this is no different than the people that are trashing the new Z06 because of a few pointed and rare engine failures. Ahh, the bad edge of the internet.......

As for emissions, more or less isn't really something you can compare. They simply put out different emissions. The particulate coming out of a deisel is much higher though, as are NOx emissions.

Joe

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 12-06-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Remember back around '94 when the last time they dropped the sulfer content in fuel? The media reported on leaking O'Rings and fuel pumps dieing left and right but when you looked a bit deeper you found most were lacking a lot of TLC or had 100 to 200K miles on them. At the time I was driving a '92 Cumins and never noticed a differance, other than the price jump! I'm sure this round of lower sulfer will turn out much like the last one.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they have been using it in Europe for years

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-21-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st of June 06 the new fuel was mandatory to be available so you probably have been using it for a while now. Most fuel stations don't have the extra tanks to have both.

New fuel is 15ppm sulfur, stuff we had been using is 500ppm. The new '07 engines have a particulate filter in the exhaust that chokes up if it uses the old stuff. Big $ repair.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Winter or summer I add diesel fuel additive to my Detroit Diesel Series 60. 10 dollars of Howes product treats my 300 gal tank . It prevents gelling in winter and increases lubricity all year round. I've been told low sulfur fuel will not harm an older diesel. The new big diesels are down on power with the new regs. I see the new diesels as 1975 gas engines that got their catalysts. power went down but look where we are now on 91 octane. Give them a few years.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xilr8n
The new '07 engines have a particulate filter in the exhaust that chokes up if it uses the old stuff. Big $ repair.
So think it will be long that someone comes along with change to that particulate filter?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Snuckley
Winter or summer I add diesel fuel additive to my Detroit Diesel Series 60. 10 dollars of Howes product treats my 300 gal tank . It prevents gelling in winter and increases lubricity all year round. I've been told low sulfur fuel will not harm an older diesel. The new big diesels are down on power with the new regs. I see the new diesels as 1975 gas engines that got their catalysts. power went down but look where we are now on 91 octane. Give them a few years.

It happened in '96 when Detroit added cats and EGR's, Dodge dropped HP & Torque with the Cumins. After a year or two the numbers started climbing again. Just add '07 to the list of '96 fuelers not to buy.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

pickups still make more power but Cummins and Ford did bump the size of the new motors

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-21-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

How many gas stations will have this new fuel?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Hazman
Racer

Ultra Low Sulphur diesel does have a slightly lower btu value which will result in a 1-2% increase in fuel consumption. At work we have backup generators that our safety documents require. They have to provide power for a minimum period of time in case of an outage. We recently received a bulletin from the Department of Energy advising us tha ultra low sulphur diesel is lower in btu content than current diesel. DOE required us to caluculate how long our backup generators can run on a tank of ultra low sulphur diesel. Since it was lower in btu content we needed more fuel to meet our minimum run times.

I did a little test on a recent trip to Houston and back towing my car trailer. I found my fuel milage was down by a little over 2% compared to the same trip last year on low sulpur diesel vs the ultra low sulphur diesel now available. I always run 70 mph on cruise control and I made the same fuel stops as last year. Three on the way down and three back.

So bottom line is with the ultra low sulphur diesel you pay more per gallon and it takes more gallons to get there.

Most stations have already switched. Look on the pump for the MANDATORY sticker indicating whether it is dispensing low sulphur diesel or ultra low sulphur diesel.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghoffman
How many gas stations will have this new fuel?

I think that is all that is produced now so they all have it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

my local stations have been using Low Sulfur for a long time, but the ULTRA Low Sulfer isn't here yet. My wife has a TDI Jetta (40mpg) for her work commute, and I'll definitely take note of any performance/consumption changes when the new fuel arrives.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow Vehicals and low sulfer fuel

Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

My 99 powerstroke started to leak fuel last week which turned out to be the seals on the drain valve on the fuel filter. The parts guys at Ford told me they only sold a couple over the years and the last few months they sold 45 of them. They felt it was caused by th low sulfer in the fuel. I don't know how true this is.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I guess I will get the new 367 HP 6.0 liter gas imotor in my new truck.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

drive a diesel first with something hook up to it.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicals and low sulfer fuel