Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Race Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default C4 Race Seat Question

I want to go with a new seat this year as the factory seat just does not help with autocross and track days. It's a power seat and the gears are stripped to the point where the only way it will move is when I am out of the car and have to push it along.

I've looked at the Corbeau Forza and A4 seats and I like the A4 for the adjustable seat back, but I'm concerned about fitment in my 87 coupe. A few websites say the Corbeau seats will fit in a Corvette but I want sliders so I can adjust the seat for street use.

Anyone use the Corbeau seats and have any fitment issues? Corbeau shows a seat track for C4's so I'm thinking it will fit but not sure.

I have a friend with a Sparco EVO II seat but it's not adjustable; Very comfortable and high quality but I want the adjustability for the back and forward/rear movement.

Also, has anyone heard of Hunsaker seats??: http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/ I've sat in the cloth Synkro seat but the price seems too cheap to be a good seat.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed the Corbeau Forza seats in my ZR-1 when I was racing it. I then switched them into my 89 Race car when I was running that car.

I bought the Corbeau slider rails for the seats and used them in both cars. The mounting holes where the seat rails bolt to the floor were a little off from the factory studs. All I had to do was drill two holes in each seat rail mount to get them to work.
The other problem I had was the seats were sitting up too straight. Your head was pointing down when the helmet was on. I solved that problem with several washers in the front of the seat rail and seat to shim the seat back.

For fitment issues... I had to remove the plastic trim piece around the parking brake to get the seat in. I didn't really like that, but it had to be done. I had no problem in the race car with the parking brake.

The seats were great and I liked them a lot. If I was going to do it again, I would buy the Forza seats but talk to Gary to seat what kind of seat rails he has that may fit a little better that the Corbeau seat rails.

Hope this helps ya.
Ed

RPM
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't remember where I saw the video, but there's a hugh difference on a race seat with a support that ties back into the rollbar and a seat that doesn't have any rear support for when your head whips back onto the seat back after impact. I have a Kirkey Intermediate 20 degree layback with an I/O port support and I'd have nothing less in my ZR-1. Yeah I had to make my own mounting brackets but what some websites sell you, just won't fit in a C4 and I went through two companies that said their mounts would fit, and didn't.

HTH
Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by fastzr1
I installed the Corbeau Forza seats in my ZR-1 when I was racing it. I then switched them into my 89 Race car when I was running that car.

I bought the Corbeau slider rails for the seats and used them in both cars. The mounting holes where the seat rails bolt to the floor were a little off from the factory studs. All I had to do was drill two holes in each seat rail mount to get them to work.
The other problem I had was the seats were sitting up too straight. Your head was pointing down when the helmet was on. I solved that problem with several washers in the front of the seat rail and seat to shim the seat back.

For fitment issues... I had to remove the plastic trim piece around the parking brake to get the seat in. I didn't really like that, but it had to be done. I had no problem in the race car with the parking brake.

The seats were great and I liked them a lot. If I was going to do it again, I would buy the Forza seats but talk to Gary to seat what kind of seat rails he has that may fit a little better that the Corbeau seat rails.

Hope this helps ya.
Ed

RPM
According to the Corbeau website, the Forza seat is 20" wide at the front but the A4 is only 18" wide. The A4 "Wide" seat is 20" wide at the front. The A4 "Wide" Seat is apparently for "larger racers"

I don't think I would have any problems with the removal of the cover for the parking brake but because my car is a manual, I really don't want to give up the parking brake functionality.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I really don't want to give up the parking brake functionality.
Removing the cover doesn't affect the park brake functionality. It just exposes the mechanical parts.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

A friend installed a Sparco EVO II seat in his 93 and the parking brake asembly had to come out in order to get the seat installed. His car is an A4 so that was not a big deal for him.

Once the Corbeau Forza seat is in place, can the cover go back on or is there just not enough clearance?? Maybe with the A4 seat, there would be enough room to replace it. Guess I would be more concerned about dirt and grease from the mechanism getting onto the seat or me, more than the looks.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Not enough room for the plastic to go back over the park brake. In fact, when pulling up on the park brake lever, it put a small snag in the side of the seat.
That is just one more reason why I suggest to talk with Gary Hoffman to see what he has. He has a very good rap around here although I have never bought anything from him.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I want to go with a new seat this year as the factory seat just does not help with autocross and track days. It's a power seat and the gears are stripped to the point where the only way it will move is when I am out of the car and have to push it along.

I've looked at the Corbeau Forza and A4 seats and I like the A4 for the adjustable seat back, but I'm concerned about fitment in my 87 coupe. A few websites say the Corbeau seats will fit in a Corvette but I want sliders so I can adjust the seat for street use.

Anyone use the Corbeau seats and have any fitment issues? Corbeau shows a seat track for C4's so I'm thinking it will fit but not sure.

I have a friend with a Sparco EVO II seat but it's not adjustable; Very comfortable and high quality but I want the adjustability for the back and forward/rear movement.

Also, has anyone heard of Hunsaker seats??: http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/ I've sat in the cloth Synkro seat but the price seems too cheap to be a good seat.
The seat looks nice and I would normally agree on the price point except for the fact that you see Corbeau with nice seats for a reasonable price as well as Cobra. I know a few people that have the Corbeau's and really like them. The Cobra Monaco that we are going to install is only like $269. So it is not entirely out of the questions to get a good seat at a good price.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your life worth risking on a cheap, no-name seat? Some of those no-name seats are little more than cardboard and bailing wire. I don't know anything about Hunsaker Sports, but I would stick to a known name brand, and make sure they are properly and securly mounted.

My face isn't great, but I don't want it to meet the steering wheel or front windshield in the case of an accident.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Humm That's funny. The person that gave me the idea to use the "Cheap bailing wire and cardboard seat" uses them in his 5 TCC cars. I dont know what I was thinking listening to a professional car builder/Racer. Outside the fact that Corbeau and Cobra are unknown brands anyways.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Just FYI the Cobra steel framed seats is actually stronger than most the carbon seats as it is not required to have any additional support outside what it's built with. And by the way how many race cars have you built??
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Humm That's funny. The person that gave me the idea to use the "Cheap bailing wire and cardboard seat" uses them in his 5 TCC cars. I dont know what I was thinking listening to a professional car builder/Racer. Outside the fact that Corbeau and Cobra are unknown brands anyways.
Just FYI the Cobra steel framed seats is actually stronger than most the carbon seats as it is not required to have any additional support outside what it's built with. And by the way how many race cars have you built??
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. I wasn't referring to your suggestion, I was talking about the Hunsaker Sport seats that the original poster mentioned in the first post.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

You must be referring to Danny Dellermeyer.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mojave
Is your life worth risking on a cheap, no-name seat? Some of those no-name seats are little more than cardboard and bailing wire. I don't know anything about Hunsaker Sports, but I would stick to a known name brand, and make sure they are properly and securly mounted.

My face isn't great, but I don't want it to meet the steering wheel or front windshield in the case of an accident.
You mean compared to the factory C4 seats that are nothing more than dense foam, a leather cover and a thin fiberglass shell that the seatback foam clips to in 4 spots on the back and one U-shaped clip in the seat base??

Autocross is the primary use of the car so I don't really expect to get into a high-speed crash or anything like that. What I am really looking for is a seat that will hold me in place without sliding around.

The Hunsaker seat is probably not well-known except maybe in the tuner crowd (APC even sells seats for that matter) but Corbeau is also popular in that venue for street, autocross and drifiting (if you call that racing ) If nothing else, the Hunsaker website states that the Hunsaker Synkro seat features 1.25" steel tubing as the frame. That in itself beats the stock C4 seats all to pieces.

I have seen Hunsaker seats sold at the local Shuck's parts stores but only the fiberglass shell versions.

As I originally mentioned, fitment is the big concern. The Corbeau A4 may be the best deal in terms of physical size for getting it into the car and mounting it.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Aluminum seats are the best bang for the buck. I also like their failure modes alot better.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/
Old 12-11-2006, 02:45 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

If an aluminum seat is what you desire the above mentioned and ultra shield are awesome deals. I know for sure that ultra shield will actually build it around you. Give them your measurements and boom. A friend of mine has the ultra shield and it is an awesome seat for $3xx. But they are race application. Can't see driving one everyday though.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Race Seat Question

Quick Reply: C4 Race Seat Question