Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Quarterly article on C6ZO6 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Corvette Quarterly article on C6ZO6 brakes

Did anyone see this article? What a joke! We now know that the 26 pound left side only rotors with worse than worthless holes are sourced from Brembo, and the "Performance engineer" at GM that approved this kludge braking system is named Tony Rifici. I wish he would call me, I would like to know if he ever has used what he had a hand in. The quote I love is "...we developed the ZO6 brake system to sustain a capable driver running flat-out through a full tank of fuel". That is a great spec, change pads every tank of gas at a track day. They even mention that the multiple pad caliper was so that the pad taper was evened out. That certainly did not happen, this is the worst pad taper I have ever had in any brake. Did Mr. Rifici ever use this trash? Have you ever heard of System Engineering trade studies? Just very sad....
Gary Hoffman
cell 603-682-8073

Last edited by ghoffman; 12-10-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Did anyone see this article? What a joke! We now know that the 26 pound left side only rotors with worse than worthless holes are sourced from Brembo, and the "Performance engineer" at GM that approved this kludge braking system is named Tony Rifici. I wish he would call me, I would like to know if he ever has used what he had a hand in. The quote I love is "...we developed the ZO6 brake system to sustain a capable driver running flat-out through a full tank of fuel". That is a great spec, change pads every tank of gas at a track day. They even mention that the multiple pad caliper was so that the pad taper was evened out. That certainly did not happen, this is the worst pad taper I have ever had in any brake. Did Mr. Rifici ever use this trash? Have you ever heard of System Engineering trade studies? Just very sad....
Gary Hoffman
cell 603-682-8073
I'm guessing you don't like the C6ZO6 brakes?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:29 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yea, they are great sitting in a box in my garage. The only reason they are not in the local landfill is for when I sell the car.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

but they look so pretty!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gary Hoffman
cell 603-682-8073

Stop holding back Gary and tell it like it is!

I heard statement before about the tank of fuel. After seeing the results what better engineering can you ask for they hit the nail on the head. They last one tank of fuel, mission accomplished! Mr. Rifici
Old 12-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Stop holding back Gary and tell it like it is!...
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Gary now needs to buy a boat so he has something to do with the rotors. I had a 25' boat and the anchor wasn't 26 lbs. I will weigh it tommorow even though the boat is gone 20 years the anchor survives in my shed.

Gary you need to send GM a brake set up so they don't F up the Blue Devil!

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-10-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Gary now needs to buy a boat so he has something to do with the rotors. I had a 25' boat and the anchor wasn't 26 lbs. I will weigh it tommorow even though the boat is gone 20 years the anchor survives in my shed.

Gary you need to send GM a brake set up so they don't F up the Blue Devil!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly wasn't the article titled "brakes that bite" or something like that? Pretty appropriate, I guess .
Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
If I remember correctly wasn't the article titled "brakes that bite" or something like that? Pretty appropriate, I guess .
Yah something like that. Unfortunilty they do 'BITE' and not the rotors.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

What is really funny, is that the close-up picture in the article shows that the hex socket in one of the pins is rounded out, just like most people do in the real world! The aluminum threads in the caliper is raw and the pins corrode themselves into the caliper rapidly. If you have to keep these, remove the pins when new and coat the threads with anti-seize, oil, grease, whatever.
The article talks about testing at the 'Ring and Spa. Seems to me that is for advertising bling. For that budget they could have spent alot more time at Road America, Watkins Glen, VIR, Sebring, etc and found out how bad they suck before production.

Last edited by ghoffman; 12-11-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

While I agree that apparently the brakes on all of our cars are woefully inadaquate, they are probably looking at the results at a fast track like the "ring", with stock runcraps... In that case maybe the brakes wouldn't be considered as big a disaster......

It all comes down to the design "mission" cycle... The guys working on it probably thought they got the job done, Hienrocket took it to the ring, did his thing, pronounced it good, and they all went home happy...

Then we slap on a set of DOT slicks, go to a more brake intensive track, and end up with a disaster...

Do they need more cooling, better calipers, and more rotor life, for what we are doing, sure, but for 99% of what the car is going to see, they are probably fine....

The only thing is that they shouldn't pronounce the car "track ready" unless it really is. I would venture a guess that Chevrolet has NEVER produced a Corvette that, from the factory, had brakes that could hold up to a track day. The problem is that there is just too much power to dispose of, and each year they put in more power and the brakes just can't keep up....

Bottom line, if you are going to seriously track a Corvette, brake upgrades are a requirement, so you kinda gotta get over it and accep it as a fact of life.....
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Solofast
While I agree that apparently the brakes on all of our cars are woefully inadaquate, they are probably looking at the results at a fast track like the "ring", with stock runcraps... In that case maybe the brakes wouldn't be considered as big a disaster......

It all comes down to the design "mission" cycle... The guys working on it probably thought they got the job done, Hienrocket took it to the ring, did his thing, pronounced it good, and they all went home happy...

Then we slap on a set of DOT slicks, go to a more brake intensive track, and end up with a disaster...

Do they need more cooling, better calipers, and more rotor life, for what we are doing, sure, but for 99% of what the car is going to see, they are probably fine....

The only thing is that they shouldn't pronounce the car "track ready" unless it really is. I would venture a guess that Chevrolet has NEVER produced a Corvette that, from the factory, had brakes that could hold up to a track day. The problem is that there is just too much power to dispose of, and each year they put in more power and the brakes just can't keep up....

Bottom line, if you are going to seriously track a Corvette, brake upgrades are a requirement, so you kinda gotta get over it and accep it as a fact of life.....

Not really sure but other cars like Porsche have better brake systems no? If you want to have the American exotic you need to put brakes on it. Why did they make 198 MPH top end? I doubt more than 1-5% ever see it and then how often? How often do people use their brakes hard? More often than 198 MPH top speed. It is a boasting point to make the brakes the way they do with all the pads and crap. They could of had a simpler & cheaper design that worked better and was easier to service.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary Hoffman
cell 603-682-8073
I couldn’t agree more. I hear from plenty of C6 Z06 customers about how they destroyed the OE rotors and calibers on one track event. If it's not the caliber that fails, it's the "cheese grater" OE rotor. I can't believe GM didn't run into this during their testing. The OE set up is not sufficient for the new Z06. Gary, (HardBar) you are on the right path with the rotor, adapter and PDF caliber setup.
Dan
Vetteworks
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"They last one tank of fuel, mission accomplished! Mr. Rifici..."

John, You need to add the other great quote "Stay the course" also....
Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Solofast has it right on. But the GM engineers, including Tom Wallace are getting a good dose of their own medicine at the NCM HPDE's. Those guys are changing brake pads every time I go over to their area in the pits. I'm sure they've heard plenty of complaints about it too. I would find it hard to believe that they aren't at least giving it a serious rethink. So now that they are indeed out there on the track actually using these cars, I'm sure we'll see improvements in the future. The NCM DE is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Vette. Only time will tell for sure.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
The NCM DE is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Vette. Only time will tell for sure.
Thank you very much

Lots of changes coming as a result of the engineers going to the NCM DEs.

Moslty small and not publisized, but coming.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Quarterly article on C6ZO6 brakes

Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It's too bad they couldn't have built the 6 piston caliper around a race pad that is cheaper and already available.

Similarly they could have grooved the rotors for the "racy" look for the guys that think they need something other than a flat rotor.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Not really sure but other cars like Porsche have better brake systems no? If you want to have the American exotic you need to put brakes on it. Why did they make 198 MPH top end? I doubt more than 1-5% ever see it and then how often? How often do people use their brakes hard? More often than 198 MPH top speed. It is a boasting point to make the brakes the way they do with all the pads and crap. They could of had a simpler & cheaper design that worked better and was easier to service.
John,

I don't know if Porsches have better results with their brakes than we do. But remember that the amount of energy you take out is directly related to the amount you put in. If you have a bigger motor, you are going to need bigger brakes. There are very few Porsches that have the power we do, (and none that have the power of a C6z other than the Carrera, and that has carbon brakes) and because of their miserable weight distribution, they are easier on front brakes than we are. I'd take a well balanced car like ours any day over 911 and live with the brake issues..... And yes we can go really fast, but how often do most folks slow down and use their brakes to their limit in a lifetime,,,,, not nearly as hard or as fast as you do on the track in one or two laps. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, they really have some work to do, but I was just trying to point out how they probably got to where they are. I'm sure they probably thought they had a pretty good solution, and then we go out and find that what what they gave us doesn't work all that well...

Oh well, back to the old drawing board...
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

They shouldn't have tryied reinventing the wheel. They just should have just installed one of the great brake packages that's already out there.

Quick Reply: Corvette Quarterly article on C6ZO6 brakes