Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE w/ Pfadt Coilovers - in car video :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Payne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE w/ Pfadt Coilovers - in car video :)

Here are my two sessions that I got on video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65311922&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...63178151&hl=en
(If you are only going to watch one, watch the first - its a better line/dryer)

The car:
02 z06
383 w/ 489rwhp
3.90s
Pfadt Coilovers (set to 10/8)
T1 bars (borrowed from a friend - going to pfadtty adjustable bars)
Carbotech XP10/8 pads
c6z06 brake ducts

Even without an alignment after the coilover install, the car was MUCH faster than on z06 springs - You can hear the comments on the camera but the car is as fast as 500+ rwhp LS2/LS7 RX7s. I highly recommend the coilovers

The story:

I left Chico around 6:10am, had to throw gas in her, got to the track around 7am- Its raining, cold and foggy - I unload most my crap out of the trailer and start to change pads/wheels - get the fronts done in time for the driver meeting - They are running late, the track is foggy, the meeting runs long, and I dont think the first car is out on track till like 9am - long story short, we only get one rungroup in the morning due to fog and tardiness. I was kinda bummed to only get 3 sessions, but you cant help the weather in December.

First Session-

I wait around for my instuctor (This is my first track day, but I ran the low intermediate group due to my autoX experience) but he never showed and I said screw it and headed out solo - couldnt get my camera on because of the 6 point harness, so no footage.

It was still really wet, I was on slicks, and traction was non existent - I was lighting off 4th gear at 100+ at will - not any fun. First lap out in turn 5a (offcamber, downhill) I got too sideways and went 4 wheels off at about 25mph - one of those lame spins in slow motion like you are in the snow and you know you are just along for the ride when you are at full lock and its not coming around...

The rest of the session I got better - Didnt really know the line with no instructor and no parade laps (I was changing wheels when they did parade laps) Active handling was really nice in the wet.

Second Session-

They broke for an hour lunch and I didn't get out for my second session till about 2pm - It was somewhat irritating that they took a full hour for lunch when we were already very behind schedule - They probably could have given everyone a 4th session if they had done a rolling lunch, but I dont know if the track workers get a full hour off, or what...

This time my instructor found me, but again I was at the back of the pack, and spent a lot of the session behind slower cars. He was a good instructor, sells coilovers and brakepads for a living, so he offered a ton of good advice on setup and line after the session.

It was finally dry enough to actually get the tires and pads working, and the car started to feel really good. I was pretty ham fisted out there, driving like at an autoX, and my instructor slapped me on the wrist for that - If you notice Im much smoother in the third session... The alignment on the car was horrible - its somewhat hard to see in the video, but Im all over under hard braking - I think I have way too much rear toe-out. Im doing bushings and then a cornerweight/alignment before my next event.

Ridealong:

I rode with Lee6 in a stock C6, who has been racing Thill for years, and got a good demo of what the line was, which was very very helpful.

Third Session:

I took Mike as a passenger, who has a road race prepped 427 LS7 headed RX7 that competed in the ultimate street car shootout by SCC (big brakes, coilovers, big sways, etc). He's been on the track a few times and as you can tell from the video, offers a lot of good advice. We had Joey in front of us in a 402 LS2 RX7 that makes 490 or 530rwhp depending on who's dyno you like.

This session I felt my line was much much better, but I still have a lot to learn - I tend to drift in early at the end of the straights. I caught a 408tt vette about 5 min in, who never checked his mirrors so I was stuck behind him for a while, that was somewhat frustrating, then when I finally got around him I got black flagged for having a full catch can and spitting oil on the headers (forgot to empty it after the 2nd session, doh!)

Overall, I had a great time - I didnt break anything, got some dry track to play with, and the car felt really good (I really like the pfadt coilovers).

Huge thanks to tjZ06, Codename BILL DOE, and JimmyZ, I couldnt have made the event w/o yall

-Jason
Old 12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool vids, glad you had a good time and we were able to get your rig done in time. Now I want Pfadts.

-TJ
Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

nice vids
Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. I just received those coilovers for my C6Z06 and was wondering if you would increase the spring rate.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE w/ Pfadt Coilovers - in car video :)

Quick Reply: HPDE w/ Pfadt Coilovers - in car video :)