Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 or Z06 suspension for track

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 PM
vincent ashton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z51 or Z06 suspension for track

I am looking at upgrading the C4 for a C5. FRC if I can find one at the right price. What are the differences between the Z51 suspension package and whats on the Z06? Just trying to get some ideas on possible suspension upgrades without going too far, keep it stock looking. Thanks and if anyone knows of a fairly cheap FRC around PLEASE let me know.
Vincent Ashton
Old 12-16-2006, 02:00 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

i got a 02 zo6 for @ 30,000 some dudes garadge queen,, wouldnt recomend anything else... awsome...
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

1 of the sway bars, 1 of the springs (I can't remember if it's front or rear) and the shocks. Not enough to worry about for a track car.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:21 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Vincent-

How's it going? I met you at Convention this year, my father and I were racing the Black FRC, you and I ran together in the lowspeed.

Anyways, we got rid of that car, in favor of an '02 Z06. I don't notice a difference at all just putting around in the car, I believe it's the rear sway bar that's a bit larger on the Z06, and I'm unsure of the spring differences. I know the '04 Z06 had difference shocks, I've heard from a few autocrossers that they really make a difference. The valving can't be that much different I wouldn't think?

Anyways, good luck in your search, hope to see you at convention next year!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I have a 98 Z51 coupe, which is the earlier version with both front and rear bars being smaller than the Z06. I ended up swapping in Z06 front and rear bars, endlinks, shocks and wheels and it handles much better.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent ashton
I am looking at upgrading the C4 for a C5. FRC if I can find one at the right price. What are the differences between the Z51 suspension package and whats on the Z06? Just trying to get some ideas on possible suspension upgrades without going too far, keep it stock looking. Thanks and if anyone knows of a fairly cheap FRC around PLEASE let me know.
Vincent Ashton

I track a 99 FRC and a 02 ZO6 - noticable body roll in the FRC vs the ZO6. To be honest I think the FRC turns in better.....
Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Z51 Vs Z06 Suspension
Front Spring the same
Rear Spring (Z06 stiffer)
Front sway bar (Z06 bigger)
Rear sway bar the same

Bill
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

It's of couse entirely up to you, but if you're looking to upgrade the sway bars, why not go ahead and upgrade to the T1 bars. Sway bars really bring these cars to life.

You can find some really nice Z06s out there at a great price. I would opt for that over a pre-Z FRC. The Z has many things that are better than just a FRC - not the least of which is the LS6 engine.

Go grab a decent Z, put a set of T1 sway bars on there and have the Phoenix guys set the correct ride height and corner weights and you'll have a rocket that's also very streetable!
Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Vince,

There is the early Z51 and the 2000+ Z51, the 2000 FRC had slightly smaller front sway bar than the Z06 but larger than the preceeding years. The 2000+ rear bars were the same a the Z. The biggest difference in handling in stock form, Z51 v Z06, is the 1" difference in wheel width. In an autocross it is not as noticable as at the track.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:34 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 FRC Z51 bars are smaller front and rear (pretty sure stock) than my 02 ZO6 bars (I know are stock). The end links are also way different. I drive both, sometimes on the same day at the same track, with the same basic wheels and tires (GS 17x11, 17x9.5 or ZO6 wheels - sometimes mixed based on the rubber mounted!). The 99FRC has significantly more body roll than the ZO6, always. Does it effect lap times - do not know for sure. The LS1 vs LS6 sure does

I know someone at some point corner wieghted and lowered the FRC - the turn in performance reflects it. The ZO6 is basically as delivered with as aggressive alignment as the stock system allows. This also may play in why the FRC turns in so much better.

RAFTRACER has a different opinion on T1 bars - he uses ADDCOs I believe and it is hard to argue with his success. T1 bars have a dang good record also. I plan on going with the ones that match my budget best!

Last edited by varkwso; 12-17-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RAFTRACER has a different opinion on T1 bars - he uses ADDCOs I believe and it is hard to argue with his success. T1 bars have a dang good record also. I plan on going with the ones that match my budget best!
Addco's are the most affordable of the bunch for sure, If you aren't as frugal the Pfadt sway bars are the gig. They obviously cost more, but if you were going to replace the Pfadt bars with 3 different sets of sway bars to equal what you get with the Pfadt's , the Pfadts would be a bargin............

T1 bars have huge success where they are mandated, and none of the guys in T1 are allowed to use anything else to form an opinion.....I've been through these bars and probably will never go back, they may be the right answer for somes set-up.

Vincent, I have seen you dad alot @ some NCCC events in Indiana, you've been absent....hopefully this new car acquisition will bring you back around. Some of the Z51 cars share Z06 components obviously , Z51 option components changed over the years, I have a list of all of the shared components somewhere...........But if I were you I would be looking for a nice used Z06, the difference in price will be offset with the power alone.....Plus which the competition level is higher in NCCC with the Z06, more people have them and compete .
Old 12-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Some general info comparing Z51 to Z06

http://www.idavette.net/hibz06/page2.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or Z06 suspension for track

Quick Reply: Z51 or Z06 suspension for track