Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 vs A6 / SSR Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hoosier R6 vs A6 / SSR Wheels

First question: Anybody done a direct comparison of these tires? I realize R=Road Race, A=Autocross, but is there more to it than Soft vs Really Soft? Anybody done a comparison of longevity? Lap times? Anything? The treadwear rating is 40 for both models?

As much as I'd love to hear comparisons across RA-1s, V710s, whatever Hankook has, etc, I know that's a religious war. :-)

Second question: Is there any reason to run screaming away from the SSR "Hybrid" wheels? (Comp-H, GT2-H, GT-7H) They seem to have some 18x10.5 +62mm wheels available for reasonable prices right now.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't give a direct comparison on the tries as all that I have run are the R-6. I use the SSR wheels - see sig picture - and have run them for 2 years now. NO PROBLEMS. They are light and strong.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:48 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by gkmccready
First question: Anybody done a direct comparison of these tires? I realize R=Road Race, A=Autocross, but is there more to it than Soft vs Really Soft? Anybody done a comparison of longevity? Lap times? Anything? The treadwear rating is 40 for both models?

As much as I'd love to hear comparisons across RA-1s, V710s, whatever Hankook has, etc, I know that's a religious war. :-)

Second question: Is there any reason to run screaming away from the SSR "Hybrid" wheels? (Comp-H, GT2-H, GT-7H) They seem to have some 18x10.5 +62mm wheels available for reasonable prices right now.
I used to run SSR comps on my M3, they were very light. They seemed to have a reputation for cracking, but mine were great and several folks I ran with had no problems either. I'd buy them again.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought SSR comp H wheels mainly to get as light as I could and there were very few choices for wheels under $2000 for my setup. I wash and polish each wheel after every event. So far no stress issues , but I only have 1/2 an autocross season on them.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:32 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Can't give a direct comparison on the tries as all that I have run are the R-6. I use the SSR wheels - see sig picture - and have run them for 2 years now. NO PROBLEMS. They are light and strong.
Regarding the R6, how many [20 minute] sessions do you typically get out of them? Or autocross runs if that's where you're running them...
Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the T1 winning car ran the runoffs on A6's, but it was cold in Kansas that week. The R6 is most always going to be the right tire for longevity and hot weather.

You can always call Hoosier and speak to Jeff Speer (Race tire product mgr) for a direct reccomendation. They are always quick to help.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
I used to run SSR comps on my M3, they were very light. They seemed to have a reputation for cracking, but mine were great and several folks I ran with had no problems either. I'd buy them again.
i've been running them on my M3 race car for 2 years now without any issues...and i'm not gentle with them
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

All the Hoosier T1 guys use the A's -regardless of temp. They are good for about a second over the R's on a 2 mile track and you can get about 5 or 6 HARD sessions on them before they cord.

Scott
Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran the R tires all last season. Got 9 days or approximately 30 run groups out of them. I flipped the tires half way through to even out the wear on the outside edges. I'm camber challenged since the car is a DD for most of the year as well as my track car and I can not maximize the camber.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 99BlackZ51
All the Hoosier T1 guys use the A's -regardless of temp. They are good for about a second over the R's on a 2 mile track and you can get about 5 or 6 HARD sessions on them before they cord.

Scott
I haven't run the R's so no comparison, but must say the A's are really great tires - with surprising life. Last set I pulled off had 40 auto-x runs on them before I ran with the other Apex instructors at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, TX, 7 - 20 minute sessions running clock-wise (a bit weird, but fun nonetheless) and the left front finally started showing a slight bit of cord after the last session. Would have gotten even more out of them if I'd taken the time to flip them after the first 30 auto-x runs like I usually do. And grip was like new all the way to the end - Hoosier really did good with these babies .
Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5R
I believe the T1 winning car ran the runoffs on A6's, but it was cold in Kansas that week. The R6 is most always going to be the right tire for longevity and hot weather.

You can always call Hoosier and speak to Jeff Speer (Race tire product mgr) for a direct reccomendation. They are always quick to help.
For longevity and wear this is absolutely correct. Lance ran the A6 as he had done all year. We have been running The R3S04 and those have been a good running and wearing tire. This year we plan to run the A6 on more of the tracks as they are a good bit faster from what we have seen over the past few years. We ran A3S05's for one day at Gingerman and they were very fast but they also corded in one day!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM
corvetteracer22
Burning Brakes

Can anyone tell me if a Brembo 6 piston caliper with a 14" rotor will fit with the ssr gt2 H wheels?

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier R6 vs A6 / SSR Wheels

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 vs A6 / SSR Wheels