Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good roadracing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
sambarnett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good roadracing clutch

I have a 2001 C5 that is pretty much stock (335rwhp/345rwt) and used as a daily driver and 20-30 track days per year. The Z06 clutch that I put in to replace my ailing stocker is complete and utter garbage so I'm looking for something better. I've gotten the "sticky clutch" syndrome with 4 different GM (LUK) clutches so I will NOT buy another Z06 clutch. I have ruled out the LS7 clutch or anything made by Luk because I've heard other people getting the "sticky clutch" with them.

I'm considering buying a Textralia with their billet steel flywheel and slave cylinder. Any other suggestions before I take the $1000 plunge?

Thanks!
Sam
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you find one, tell us...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some T-1 guys run Exedy on the QT I have a stock LS6 and never have a problem. I want to go to a small race clutch. LG may release a clutch real soon for RR. I guess you need streeetable also?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
sambarnett
Racer

Yes, needs to be streetable.

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Some T-1 guys run Exedy on the QT I have a stock LS6 and never have a problem. I want to go to a small race clutch. LG may release a clutch real soon for RR. I guess you need streeetable also?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Exedy can be run on the sreet.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Payne
Racer

I had a exedy twin in my C5 - Kinda a piece of crap - its very warped, and had very high pedal force.

They DONT hold up well to drag racing or power - but if you are going to stay stockish then its overkill. For a stockish car, why not at LS7 clutch?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by sambarnett
I have a 2001 C5 that is pretty much stock (335rwhp/345rwt) and used as a daily driver and 20-30 track days per year. The Z06 clutch that I put in to replace my ailing stocker is complete and utter garbage so I'm looking for something better. I've gotten the "sticky clutch" syndrome with 4 different GM (LUK) clutches so I will NOT buy another Z06 clutch. I have ruled out the LS7 clutch or anything made by Luk because I've heard other people getting the "sticky clutch" with them.

I'm considering buying a Textralia with their billet steel flywheel and slave cylinder. Any other suggestions before I take the $1000 plunge?

Thanks!
Sam
For those stats, you won't need anything more than the centerforce dual frictiion...best bang for your buck and my 2c., will hang with any of those 700-1000 single disc clutches for half the price!

Ed
Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use alot of SPEC stage 2+'s and stage 3's with the aluminum flywheel and aluminum pressure plate option, no problems to date with 3+ years on one of them........and I knock the crap out of this car and do all sorts of abusive clutch manuevers..........These assemblies are 22 lbs lighter than stock LS6 clutch/flywheel assy's.... Throttle response is awesome.....zing.....

You hear all sorts of horror stories about clutch manufacturers, probably mostly due to misinstallation or wrong applications....Have had no problems with SPEC stuff to date personally, and I install alot of these.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Payne
Racer

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I use alot of SPEC stage 2+'s and stage 3's with the aluminum flywheel and aluminum pressure plate option, no problems to date with 3+ years on one of them........and I knock the crap out of this car and do all sorts of abusive clutch manuevers..........These assemblies are 22 lbs lighter than stock LS6 clutch/flywheel assy's.... Throttle response is awesome.....zing.....

You hear all sorts of horror stories about clutch manufacturers, probably mostly due to misinstallation or wrong applications....Have had no problems with SPEC stuff to date personally, and I install alot of these.
I've seen a SPEC blow up and take out the tranny, block, headers, and ALMOST come through the floorboard - I would really really recommend against a spec- When I took one out of an old car of mine, the PP was warped
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

no offense, but if you are damaging the Z06 clutch with stock drivetrain, then someone is abusing the clutch. Whether is riding the clutch at starts, or slipping while upshifting/downshifting, something is being done to it.

If you don't heal/toe, you can easily burn one up during downshifts. I look back at some old videos during my first year of racing, and it is amazing how much I used the clutch to slow the car down.

Anyway, the GM clutch is quite capable of putting 450hp down with no problem, ESPECIALLY in a road race car (non drag race, that is).

If you have a slave-cylinder problem, however, that is another issue entirely....
Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
sambarnett
Racer

It's the hydraulic issue, not the disc. I've heard the the "auto adjusting" fingers on the pressure plate go out of adjustment and cause the slave cylinder to "wobble" and get air into the system. I'm done with Luk clutches.....

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
no offense, but if you are damaging the Z06 clutch with stock drivetrain, then someone is abusing the clutch. Whether is riding the clutch at starts, or slipping while upshifting/downshifting, something is being done to it.

If you don't heal/toe, you can easily burn one up during downshifts. I look back at some old videos during my first year of racing, and it is amazing how much I used the clutch to slow the car down.

Anyway, the GM clutch is quite capable of putting 450hp down with no problem, ESPECIALLY in a road race car (non drag race, that is).

If you have a slave-cylinder problem, however, that is another issue entirely....
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Payne
I've seen a SPEC blow up and take out the tranny, block, headers, and ALMOST come through the floorboard - I would really really recommend against a spec- When I took one out of an old car of mine, the PP was warped
Like I said , horror stories with every clutch manufacturer....It would be nice to know all of the circumstances leading up to the clutch explosion, hell, improperly torqued fasteners can cause that..... I myself personally have knocked the crap out of SPEC clutches for years and have had no problems. I am pretty well versed on how to properly upshift/downshift though. I have been known to drag race a little too , with sticky tires.

Just giving you guys my thoughts, I have used Exedy's with no problems also....... Use what you want or feel best with.... all three of my racecar clutches are fine and have been for a long time.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I have 450 RWHP and never had a problem with the Fidenza flywheel.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

I have had good results with the OZ700 in my track car, still a good street clutch, yet can take the track abuse. We have several in stock if your interested.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 PM
sambarnett
Racer

I've called you guys and left two messages today.....

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I have had good results with the OZ700 in my track car, still a good street clutch, yet can take the track abuse. We have several in stock if your interested.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Default Hey duder

Originally Posted by sambarnett
I've called you guys and left two messages today.....
Let me know what you find out... I "hurt" my clutch this summer on the street. It slipped pretty bad one time, but I"ve been turkey basting it and have not had an issue again. I asked the same question and got about all of the same answers. I believe I will try the LS6 updated or the LS7 when my time comes.

Will I be seeing you at VIR in the snow again? I love 130mph in the snow!

Since the last time we ran together, I now have:
1) a car that goes faster than 80 mph again.
2) Dewitts w/ passenger side EOC
3) Exhaust
4) 20 HP that were and still are hiding due to a bent exhaust manifold but will be free after christmas
5) Some new tasty BFG R1's that should be in the mail shortly....

Late,
AJ
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 PM
sambarnett
Racer

Ordered the Textralia clutch tonight from ECS. I'll post with the results.

AJ,
I'm looking forward to some more snow at VIR!
Sam

Originally Posted by Westwopper
Let me know what you find out... I "hurt" my clutch this summer on the street. It slipped pretty bad one time, but I"ve been turkey basting it and have not had an issue again. I asked the same question and got about all of the same answers. I believe I will try the LS6 updated or the LS7 when my time comes.

Will I be seeing you at VIR in the snow again? I love 130mph in the snow!

Since the last time we ran together, I now have:
1) a car that goes faster than 80 mph again.
2) Dewitts w/ passenger side EOC
3) Exhaust
4) 20 HP that were and still are hiding due to a bent exhaust manifold but will be free after christmas
5) Some new tasty BFG R1's that should be in the mail shortly....

Late,
AJ
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Dainbramage
Racer

Let us know how it goes... I'm looking at the same clutch setup. Also, does anyone know the weight savings with the Textralia setup over the stock LS6 setup?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Does that set up come with a new slave cylinder? Best of luck getting it in.

Sam... I talked to Tommy. He was excited about sliding in some frozen mud at high rates of speed in the uphill esses.

Regards,
AJ

Get notified of new replies

To Good roadracing clutch

Quick Reply: Good roadracing clutch