Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyson moving back to LMP2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Dyson moving back to LMP2

Dyson Racing is going back to its roots for 2007 – by campaigning two brand-new Porsche RS Spyders in the American Le Mans Series. The Poughkeepsie, New York-based team ran Porsche 962s in IMSA GTP from 1985 to 1991, winning a dozen races with nineteen podium finishes and four consecutive Porsche Cups. For 2007, the two organizations are back together, this time racing in the LMP2 class of the ALMS.

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/240941/49/

An active participant in the American Le Mans Series since its formation in 1999, Dyson Racing has posted eight class victories and won the Series' LMP675 championship in 2003 as Chris Dyson won the drivers crown. For 2007, Dyson will again team with Guy Smith in the No. 20 entry with Butch Leitzinger and Andy Wallace in the No. 16.

"We will be competing next year with a proven package that has race data and advancement behind it," Chris Dyson said. "Porsche won the American Le Mans Series championship last year and that is a strong selling point. Our team will be racing at the most competitive level in the Series where new teams, drivers and manufactures are going to be focusing their considerable resources. We will be able to showcase who we are as a team and concentrate on winning races and championships."

Dyson Racing will have one of its two Porsche RS Spyders for the third annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test.
The team expects to take delivery of one car in time for the annual American Le Mans Series Winter Test at Sebring in late January, with the second car due to arrive in February. Both cars will be on the grid for the season-opening 55th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.
http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2751

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-18-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

great news, I had heard the Porsches weren't coming back. With the Acuras coming, more Porsches, etc, maybe LMP2 will be the next series to watch. LMP1 and GT1 are total waistes of time (from a competition point of view), but LMP2 and GT2 could be real winners.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
LMP2 and GT2 could be real winners.

there should be some great racing in these two classes.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Audis and Corvettes have chased away competitors.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Originally Posted by micro
The Audis and Corvettes have chased away competitors.
Heres the issue... LMP1 and GT1 should be Manufacturer backed cars that you don't plan to sell to other teams... Audi, Vette, Aston. If you can go buy em and race em, then GT2 or LMP2.

Unfortunately this gets grey because the Porsche should be a LMP1 car because it is fast as nuts.

As for GT1:

The Saleen is competitive across the pond... they just need a team that is willing to do some homework... I agree that it is dated, but it can run.

The Aston needs some testing on rough tracks. That car is designed for Eurosmooooooth surfaces....If the car is here next year under the same rules, with Michelins it may be waxing the Vettes left and right.

Late,
Tony
Old 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Porsche should be in P1 and not P2.

The DBR9 is available to privateers. Prodrive has a five year deal with Aston Martin.

Another DBR9 for FIA GT:

http://www.fiagt.com/newsitem.php?key=1152
Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Westwopper

Unfortunately this gets grey because the Porsche should be a LMP1 car because it is fast as nuts.

I would not say the Porsche should be a LMP1, it's competetive at tracks that have multiple turns and very few mimited straights. It did well at Miller, only because those factors were right.

And for David, Porsche had planned on doing the 07 year. They announced a redesigned body for 07 at Monterey.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

The Aston needs some testing on rough tracks. That car is designed for Eurosmooooooth surfaces....If the car is here next year under the same rules, with Michelins it may be waxing the Vettes left and right.

Late,
Tony
needs testing on rough tracks?...Aston Martin won the GT1 class at the 2005 Sebring 12Hrs (its first race against the Corvettes). Sebring race is a lot tougher on the cars than Le Mans
Old 12-19-2006, 08:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Mr Athleton ( ALMS President) responds to Dyson's switch to P2

"This is a tremendous development for Dyson Racing, Porsche and the American Le Mans Series,” Atherton said. “As everyone is aware, Porsche's customer program in GT2 is second-to-none, and from the beginning we received commitments from Porsche that its LMP2 program would be a replica: a world-class manufacturer providing top-notch customer service with a very competitive race car. The groundwork was laid in 2006 and with this announcement we are seeing the leading edge of fulfillment in this program."

"At the same time, we are aware of the potential effect this could have on our LMP1 class,” he stated. “While Audi has not finalized its plans for 2007, we fully expect the diesel-powered R10 TDIs to be actively competing in the American Le Mans Series. We are proud and pleased to see the commitment of Michael Lewis and everyone at Autocon Motorsports for their two-car LMP1 effort for next season. In addition there also has been significant interest from Creation Autosportif following its tremendous showing at Road Atlanta and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and the same can be said about Zytek and its potential participation next year.”
http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/240943/49/
Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Lot of good points...

The Aston did win Sebring, but until this year when it got all the added "help", the Aston did not have the pace of the Vette.

The LMP2 Porsches are rockets. They kept pace with the Zytek and Creation at Laguna. I believe they could be competitive in either class depending on the restriction to their air box. It will be interesting to see how the Courage chassis Acura compares.

Sebring is right around the corner...

Last edited by Westwopper; 12-21-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:11 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

True, but until all the added "help", the Aston did not have the pace of the Vette.
Agreed, but the comp. adjustments affected overall weight/restrictors, not the reliability the cars or their capability to handle American tracks. AM won 5 of the 10 2006 ALMS races and at Portland finished on the same lap as the winning C6R.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by joemoia
Agreed, but the comp. adjustments affected overall weight/restrictors, not the reliability the cars or their capability to handle American tracks. AM won 5 of the 10 2006 ALMS races and at Portland finished on the same lap as the winning C6R.
I guess burning through the brakes is not a reliability factor.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Westwopper
Racer

My understanding on the C6R brake issue was "they tried another product that would work better" and it didn't.... IMHO, not the thing to do right before a race.

I still believe that with Prodrive's backing, the Astons should be able to run with a C6R, without all the comp adjustments. Didn't Aston win all of the races after getting the competition adjustments?

How is it that the Aston Fly's so well backward anyway?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

My understanding on the C6R brake issue was "they tried another product that would work better" and it didn't.... IMHO, not the thing to do right before a race.
It was the fact of GM having it's ***** cutoff again, and trying to figure out a way to keep up. The decision was to push the braking deep into the corners to keep the speed up.

Ate through the same pads in 7 hours that they used in the 24 hour LeMans race.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
It was the fact of GM having it's ***** cutoff again, and trying to figure out a way to keep up. The decision was to push the braking deep into the corners to keep the speed up.

Ate through the same pads in 7 hours that they used in the 24 hour LeMans race.
Your talking about the Petit race correct? I thought that they had changed either calipers or pads for this race. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats what I heard.

Also, Throwing a couple hundred lbs onto the car probably didn't do it any favors.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyson moving back to LMP2

Quick Reply: Dyson moving back to LMP2