Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on new engine

Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 AM
jrnix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on new engine

I have done Open Track Instruction in California for about six years with a lot of different cars. My latest is a track ready 2001 Zo6. I've had the car about 8 months. I have AFR heads installed but I put a rod through the block, so a new short block is needed, along with an Accusump. I want reliablity first but if HP is there, fine. I track anfd drive on the street, I don't drag race.
Here is my question: I can get a LS2 402 short block from Texas Speed or other shops for about the same as a stock short block. I can bolt on my AFR heads, headers, etc. I know that there are some difficulties with the LS2 installation, but is there a downside to track this?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No downside to running it. Texas speed should be able to answer your questions. Let them answer it in email that way you have no misunderstanding as to what was said or what will fit would be my path. I have seen to many disputes here as to who said what about fitting,
Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnix
I can bolt on my AFR heads, headers, etc. I know that there are some difficulties with the LS2 installation, but is there a downside to track this?

Lot of good info on LS1tech.com about the LS6 to LS2 conversions.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:01 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is no problem at all just a few adapter harnesses. I would also have the engine shop machine the extra boss off the block so you dont have to grind on the motor mount. They should know what to do. I have taken them off with a sanding wheel but it can be a pain to seal the motor up enough when it is already assembled
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

you can just lengthen your cam sensor, and leave the knock sensors off. You'll need to have some tuning done to optimize everything, although the MAF will keep it running OK.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Knock sensor harness take be fixed or bought.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice on new engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice on new engine