Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain clack

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivetrain clack

Hey guys, I tried posting this in C6 General 3 months ago, and got nothing. You guys seem to really know your drivetrains inside and out, so maybe I will have better luck here...

My vette makes an audible *clack* when I put the gas on after coasting on the freeway, especially in the taller gears like 5th or 6th.

Is this normal? Does anyone else with a manual hear this sound?

It almost sounds like some slack is being taken up.

2006 Manual Z51

Any ideas?
Thanks guys.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Analyzing a sound like that is tough to do via the web. Even though I've got a '00 FRC, our drivetrains are similar enough. A few questions, first.

Based on your question you aren't hearing this sound in the lower gears (1-4). Is this true?

Can you hear this during a normal shift? Does it happen when you are easy or aggressive on the throttle?

Finally, is there someone you know that knows C5/C6 manual transmissions that could listen to the noise?

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Analyzing a sound like that is tough to do via the web. Even though I've got a '00 FRC, our drivetrains are similar enough. A few questions, first.

Based on your question you aren't hearing this sound in the lower gears (1-4). Is this true?

Can you hear this during a normal shift? Does it happen when you are easy or aggressive on the throttle?

Finally, is there someone you know that knows C5/C6 manual transmissions that could listen to the noise?

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Thanks for the reply,

I dont really hear it in the lower gears, but I am not sure that its not doing it in those gears, its just that its really easy to hear in a tall gear at highway speed when the car is being quiet otherwise.

I dont hear it during a normal shift, but again, during normal shifts usually the engine is at like 3K and making too much noise. I could try doing it in 3rd or 4th at low rpm and speed.

One thing to point out though is that when I make the sound, I am not shifting, its just sitting in a tall gear on the freeway, I let completely off the gas untill the engine starts to drag and slow the car, then if I put the gas back on gently, i get a *clack* and the car starts to gently accellerate on the clack.

I dont really know any experts. I am a little wary about telling the dealer about it at this point as I dont want them tearing apart my car on a wild goose chase, especially if this is normal.

Anyone in San Diego know drivetrains well?

Maybe I can grab somebody the next time at spring mountain....
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I really think you have nothing to worry about. T-56 trannys tend to be noisy anyway. Before I'd take it to a dealer, I'd do the following:

1. Get David Farmer's torque sheet (do a search in this forum, it'll be there), or use the torque values from the Helms manual
2. Torque down everything that could be related to the drivetrain to their proper values. (maybe an opportunity to buy tools )
3. Get a C5/C6 knowledgeable ear to hear what you're hearing. Surely there's someone here in the SD area.

HTH, and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I really think you have nothing to worry about. T-56 trannys tend to be noisy anyway. Before I'd take it to a dealer, I'd do the following:

1. Get David Farmer's torque sheet (do a search in this forum, it'll be there), or use the torque values from the Helms manual
2. Torque down everything that could be related to the drivetrain to their proper values. (maybe an opportunity to buy tools )
3. Get a C5/C6 knowledgeable ear to hear what you're hearing. Surely there's someone here in the SD area.

HTH, and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Mike
I'll give that a try. I have a friend with a lift, so Ill get it up there and follow the torque sheet.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Drivetrain clack

Quick Reply: Drivetrain clack