Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Harness Bar...yes I'm cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:11 AM
exploder
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homemade Harness Bar...yes I'm cheap

Well over the past few days I purchased a used Sparco EVO L. I had a really hard time mounting it in my z06 with the hardbar mounts, but after hammering for a little while I made it work. Next up was the need for a harness bar...I could not justify spending over 300 for a bar that I could make myself so....a full day of work later this is what I came up with.

Last edited by exploder; 12-21-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you think you spent more than $115 in materials, shop supplies and your time to create this custom harness bar? Looks like a lot of effort, but came out real nice.

I/O Port Racing Supplies sells their Harness Guide Bar #GB4F for the C5/Z06 for that amount. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP

EDIT: Don't get me wrong - I too am jealous and wish I had such fabrication skills. Awesome work! Exploder was making a comparison to a $300+ harness bar, and probably wasn't aware of the I/O option for $115 (1/3 the price).

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 12-21-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:43 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

I would imagine his materials and shop supplies cost basically $0, unless he just wanted to use virgin material, not left overs.

As far as time goes to fabricate something, what do you think a good fab guy likes to do? Chalk it up to a recreational activity!

And, exploder, your fab skills make me green with envy! Did you design it so it bolts directly to the shoulder mounts? Is that what the hole in the bar is for? If so, do you think that makes a weak point in the system?

Or, if you didn't, how did you take care of the moment generated by the offset?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM
exploder
Burning Brakes

I had 13.00 in supplies total. And yes I used the factory mounting holes, but used grade 8 bolts to attach the piece. I am not concerned at all about the hole in the piece after looking at some of the other ways to mount it that I have seen. Trust me, this thing is not losing any strength the way I have it mounted. I think I could basically reproduce the piece reliably for around the same price as that other one you mentioned. It was just kind of fun to do anyways.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:09 PM
...Mark...
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Do you think you spent more than $115 in materials, shop supplies and your time to create this custom harness bar? Looks like a lot of effort, but came out real nice.

I/O Port Racing Supplies sells their Harness Guide Bar #GB4F for the C5/Z06 for that amount. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...gory_Code=IOPP

EDIT: Don't get me wrong - I too am jealous and wish I had such fabrication skills. Awesome work! Exploder was making a comparison to a $300+ harness bar, and probably wasn't aware of the I/O option for $115 (1/3 the price).
Got any pics of the C5 application?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm cheap too this is what I made so I could use my factory 3 pt belts and my harness. My sparco seat should be here by X-mas. The b piller angle actually prevents rotation and the plate is bolted also grade 8 through the harness bar plate and the stock shoulder anchor is threaded into the plate too. I'm so cheap I'm not going to paint mine. This method took a couple hours. The hardest part for me was jacking up the car to disconnect the ECU's so they would not get fried by the welder. You see I tacked the bar onto my plates to get a perfect custom passive fit. Oh and this is a C5Zo6
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Dainbramage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exploder... you're a disgrace to the Corvette world... you should be shot for making a "fabbed" up part and putting it in such a nice car! I mean, come on, our sh*t doesn't stink and we don't use homemade stuff! You probably made your friggin exhaust too!!!!!

Just kidding Phillip! Looks great! We just need to get you a harness, you can use my RA1s, and we'll go to MSR Cresson Feb 3rd and 4th to see if we can keep your 700whp on the track!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a welder myself, and having been chastised here for making my own stuff and NOT buying from some of the vendors because I had the ability to make my own stuff, I can tell you that you won't get the level of appreciation that you'd expect for doing your own thing...

Having said that, I think the bar looks fine. I seriously doubt you'll have any issues with that particular bar failing on you. The one thing you could do to strengthen the tube is to run a fine bead around the hole that you made to access the bolt. It'll act as it's own "gusset". Otherwise, it looks good.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 12-22-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:16 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Being a welder myself, and having been chastised here for making my own stuff and NOT buying from some of the vendors because I had the ability to make my own stuff, I can tell you that you won't get the level of appreciation that you'd expect for doing your own thing...

Mike
Mike, it's your own fault, hanging out in the waxer (er, um, C5 General) forum!

Having built a 2-seat Long Ez (aircraft) back in the 80s, I can *always* appreciate good fab work!

Have a good one,
Mike B.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
exploder
Burning Brakes

I had a good time building it. It actually looks alot better in person than in the pics, but the flash on the camera makes it look dirty. What do you guys suggest for harnesses????
Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool, and I run Teamtech 5pts there pretty comfy and they also make it in 6 pt.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:27 PM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

staying with the cheep theme
Those racers that need to pass tech. must replace the belts
every 2 years. It's a good source for low buck 6 point.
that's where I got mine to attach to my home made bar.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:56 PM
BlueThunderousZ06
Racer

Fatbillybob, how much did you bar weigh? How about yours Exploder?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueThunderousZ06
Fatbillybob, how much did you bar weigh? How about yours Exploder?

All I had laying around was 1.75" 120 wall DOM which is way over kill. It is 2 lb/ft so multiply that by the distance between the B pillers. So I don't know but you can calculate it.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG Definitely not a Hardbar!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well done man! If I could have I would have... however BK bar for me. I keep it in all the time and I love how the BK bar looks oem.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 AM
exploder
Burning Brakes

I would say mine weighs approximately 12-15 lbs. I make enough power that the weight doesn't bother me.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
astig00
Racer

Originally Posted by exploder
I would say mine weighs approximately 12-15 lbs. I make enough power that the weight doesn't bother me.
There you go showing off again!!

I wish I had those fab skills!!

Get notified of new replies

To Homemade Harness Bar...yes I'm cheap

Quick Reply: Homemade Harness Bar...yes I'm cheap