Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some In Car From PIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Some In Car From PIR

This is a couple of laps from this past summer at Portland International Raceway, during the Rose City Corvette Club Day. There is a ZR1 ahead of the Porsche GT2. The ZR1 is going slow due to getting a cone stuck under the front and is proceeding slowly back to the pits. This has most of this run group lined up behind the ZR1. So after the ZR1 moves over we all take off for a couple of laps before the session is checkered. That GT2 does accelerate at a pretty good rate.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ay8-2006_2.flv

Enjoy,

Brian
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is me picking up the cone.

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Jeff/LostIt.wmv
Old 12-21-2006, 06:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Great vids !! Brian, I've seen your car there for the last few years and it's a beautiful car and obiously very quick.

I was in the Intermediate group (gold 87 coupe)and it was pretty hard to get around the track with all of the cars that
were in that run group. I've been in the Intermediate run group for the last 4 years so maybe it's time to move up to Advanced

Looking forward to the end of July for the next Rose City Classic
Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Jeffvette,

Interesting camera angle you have there. Your ZR1 sounds really good. The HP group was a good group that day, everyone was turning good laps.

c4cruiser,

Thanks for the comments. I have a lot of fun running laps at PIR with the various clubs. You should try the advanced run group next year, you will probably find that you get more clear laps in that group.

This video, from the same day, was the end of my day. My son was driving the car in the novice group, his first day on the track, and the engine broke. Not his fault, the #8 exhaust valve decide that it had had enough and broke. The resulting engine damage means I get to start from scratch, new block, heads, rotating assembly. The video is out of focus, the camera vibrates out of focus sometimes. But in this video the sound is what it is all about.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...as8-2006_2.flv

Brian
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
This is a couple of laps from this past summer at Portland International Raceway, during the Rose City Corvette Club Day. There is a ZR1 ahead of the Porsche GT2. The ZR1 is going slow due to getting a cone stuck under the front and is proceeding slowly back to the pits. This has most of this run group lined up behind the ZR1. So after the ZR1 moves over we all take off for a couple of laps before the session is checkered. That GT2 does accelerate at a pretty good rate.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ay8-2006_2.flv

Enjoy,

Brian
Thanks for sharing the cool video Brian. One question, do you have a stock seat or a race seat with 5 point harness's? It seemed like your whole upper body was all over the place and sliding around in the seat.

Aaron
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Jeffvette,

Interesting camera angle you have there. Your ZR1 sounds really good. The HP group was a good group that day, everyone was turning good laps.

This video, from the same day, was the end of my day. My son was driving the car in the novice group, his first day on the track, and the engine broke. Not his fault, the #8 exhaust valve decide that it had had enough and broke. The resulting engine damage means I get to start from scratch, new block, heads, rotating assembly. The video is out of focus, the camera vibrates out of focus sometimes. But in this video the sound is what it is all about.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...as8-2006_2.flv

Brian

Sorry to hear about the motor. I remember hearing somebody lost a motor. It was a good day overall, except for the one guy driving the Yellow C5 in the Intermediate group. Nothing like hitting the wall to ruin your day.

The camera in my car was from a passenger from Seattle. He had some suction cups and it just rests on the dash. It will pitch with the acceleration and decel of the car. Should have used my rollbar mount.

You'll see me out in a different car next year. The ZR-1 has been retired from track duty. They new ride will be rather interesting.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:16 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Thanks for sharing the cool video Brian. One question, do you have a stock seat or a race seat with 5 point harness's? It seemed like your whole upper body was all over the place and sliding around in the seat.

Aaron
Hi Aaron,

Yes, I still have the stock seat with a 5 point harness. I don't notice the movement when I am driving, but you sure can see it in the videos. I plan to change to a race seat sometime.

Brian
Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Aaron,

Yes, I still have the stock seat with a 5 point harness. I don't notice the movement when I am driving, but you sure can see it in the videos. I plan to change to a race seat sometime.

Brian
Good call! My dad was doing the same in his 88 for years with a stock seat and I told him if you are sliding around in your seat, your body thinks the car is sliding a little too. It throws off your equal liberium and sense of balance. When he went to a race seat with the harness's coming thru his seat right over the shoulders, he said he had way better feel for the car and had quicker lap times. Nice laps in your video and glad to see the old C4's still running strong.

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports Division)
2003 Z06 SCCA T1 Corvette #13 RSIG,Kumho Tire
1987 ITE,IIIE Corvette #121 Kumho Tire
Old 12-22-2006, 09:20 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I still have the stock seat in my 87 and I notice that unless I tilt the base to raise the front of the seat, I will slide around in the seat even with my 5-point harness tight. Once I get in and tighten the harness, I will move the seat slightly forward to get the belts a little tighter.

I want a decent race-style seat too so that I don't slide around as much but the 87 looks pretty cramped on the driver's side. I have looked at a Corbeau A4a and SParco EVO II but from what I have read, Corbeau only sells pairs of seats. You can order a single seat, but you can't specifiy left or right; it's luck of the draw.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:56 PM
z28cp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corbeau does sell individual seats, and the seats are not left or right specific. The seat mounts are left/right specific, but not the seats themselves.

DaveZ.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:30 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see some NW Vette track rats Hope to join you guys out there this season.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by z28cp
Corbeau does sell individual seats, and the seats are not left or right specific. The seat mounts are left/right specific, but not the seats themselves.

DaveZ.
Corbeau does sell the seats individually, but according to their website (and the websites of many of the Corbeau retailers) if you are ordering a single seat, you don't get a choice of left or right side for seats that have seat back adjustment. For the seats like the A4, they are left/right specific as the adjusting handle is on the lower outside of the seat base. The Forza is a fixed-back seat and would work on either side.

Afer doing some measuring, I might not be able to get the Forza seat in my 87 as they are too wide at the base. The A4 will work but I would have to make sure I could get a seat with the back adjuster on the left side.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Did any of you guys get any video (or pics) of me in my Evo? I was in the HP group.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:51 AM
VanSpeed
Pro

Zee Freak,

My day was over at lunch time so I did not get anything with you. However, check out Doug Bergers site-PhotoSport Northwest (digitalracephotos.com). You can find some good photos on his site from the Rose City Corvettes track day. Hope to see you on track next summer.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To Some In Car From PIR

Quick Reply: Some In Car From PIR