Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Camber Options for NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 Camber Options for NASA?

Since NASA has made camber "Free" as long as you do not mod the suspension mounting points - what are the options to modify a C5 for better camber and other adjustibility without violating the NASA "free" criteria?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette Brakes & Products front upper control arm bushings.......... The cross shafts are eccentric which helps camber alot.

Additionally if your left rear camber eccentric is maxed and limiting (as most C5's are), you need to loosen subframe and pry subframe to the left as far as possible with large leverage device.........

Low trim hieghts.........If you do this , it is best to have suitable higher spring rates ( since you are already taking points for springs on your FRC).
Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

there are also upper concentrics made for the rear, but usually you can get "just enough" with camber plates. As stated above, if you get a ton of neg on one side, and none on the other, you need to shift the subframe over to square things up.

I've found that camber plates (or custom plates up to that point) give just enough, if not more, camber than most cars need.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Vette Brakes & Products front upper control arm bushings.......... The cross shafts are eccentric which helps camber alot.
And with our camber kit on the lowers and stud kit on the uppers, ylou max out the track width, and by shimming the uppers in and out to add or subtract camber/caster.
Please see thread below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1578540
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If bushings are "free" then the entire VBP kit is a great mod. With it my car was capable of 3+ deg. neg. camber in front. I ran it with -2.5 and tire wear was pretty even. Once the best setting is found have Gary make some camber plates to lock it in.
BTW, what class will you be running in, Jeff?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:18 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tcmc5
If bushings are "free" then the entire VBP kit is a great mod. With it my car was capable of 3+ deg. neg. camber in front. I ran it with -2.5 and tire wear was pretty even. Once the best setting is found have Gary make some camber plates to lock it in.
BTW, what class will you be running in, Jeff?
It looks like I can run the ZO6 in TTA with 295 Hoosiers on it - it is stock so it is easy to meet the requirement with just R compounds. It also looks like I can run the FRC in TTA also - I think it will depend on weight and I need to double check all the parts on the car - they really, really stuck it to FRCs in the new rules. All of the 315 tires I have are now for "practice" I guess. Neither car is competitive in TTS so I will stay out of there. The plan is to run TT until we can locate a decent CMC or AI Mustang....

I toyed with running the GTO in TT - but it has the same base and points as a Boxster S or Firehawk - of course getting it out of my wife's hands would be tough. The tire rules did not hurt that car though - it can barely fit a 235.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
And with our camber kit on the lowers and stud kit on the uppers, ylou max out the track width, and by shimming the uppers in and out to add or subtract camber/caster.
Please see thread below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1578540

Now which camber parts, from you, will I need for a '99 FRC and/or a 2002 ZO6? How long will it take to get in my hot little hands?

It looks like I will be ordering two sets of the VBP bushings plus some new springs and sways for Jake to optimize his car - where was that post about HPDE and TT being relatively cheap?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Camber Options for NASA?

Quick Reply: C5 Camber Options for NASA?