Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy T2 350z now, or wait for T1 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buy T2 350z now, or wait for T1 vette?

Some/most of you might know I traded in my c5z06 on a new c6 z51 back in sept...my orignal plan was just to track the new c6 as I had the c5. BUT, after having to miss 4 events since the trade (all for various reasons), I have decided to leave the c6 as a street car only.

with that said, I have been round and round trying to find a dedicated track car. With a limited budget, I do not have the luxury to go out and buy the best T1 car the next LGM special.

So here is the question...I found a really nice T2 350z that fits my budget and can buy it now...shoudl I? Or, should I just wait 6-12 months and save up for a T1 vette.......keep in mind, while saving for the T1, that means no track time.

What would you do?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Some/most of you might know I traded in my c5z06 on a new c6 z51 back in sept...my orignal plan was just to track the new c6 as I had the c5. BUT, after having to miss 4 events since the trade (all for various reasons), I have decided to leave the c6 as a street car only.

with that said, I have been round and round trying to find a dedicated track car. With a limited budget, I do not have the luxury to go out and buy the best T1 car the next LGM special.

So here is the question...I found a really nice T2 350z that fits my budget and can buy it now...shoudl I? Or, should I just wait 6-12 months and save up for a T1 vette.......keep in mind, while saving for the T1, that means no track time.

What would you do?

Get the T2 Z - They are great cars. or have you call Joe Aqualanti at Pheonix to see what he has for sale?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Get the T2 Z - They are great cars. or have you call Joe Aqualanti at Pheonix to see what he has for sale?
talked to joe many of times (mostly through email)...minus the firebirds he has, everything is too $$ at this time
Old 12-22-2006, 06:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait till you drive a car you worry not about chips. It is a blast to be on someone's bumper and smile instead of cry wen the rocks fly up and you hear the sounds. My car slowly faded to a track rat but it is great not worrying anymore.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:28 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove a friends 350z. Nice car but nothing like the vettes.

Randy
Old 12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I make harness bars for 350Z's and they are very nice cars. They have abysmal suspension geometry, body structure and way too much weight for such a low power car. Get a Spec Miata instead.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I make harness bars for 350Z's and they are very nice cars. They have abysmal suspension geometry, body structure and way too much weight for such a low power car. Get a Spec Miata instead.

That's what I heard, too. They may not be very fast, but they sure are heavy!

And you know Ryan, you're going to miss that torque under your right foot.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A T2 350Z would/should be a fun car. It is not without torque - but it is no LS6/2! I have driven a couple and instructed in a lot more. The car is heavy - but can be made to be a fun track car. They do need suspension corrections to be really fast. Any track car you can run now sounds good to me

A T1 vette will still eat tires and brakes - 150 mph in a 3000 pound car - the energy has to go somewhere....so a lesser car is not always bad.

Gary - a Spec Miata driven them - they get pretty boring pretty fast unless you are racing other SMs.....
Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

May I ask what you are going to pay for the car? There is a great deal on one of the 2005 season T2 Champion Subaru WRX STI cars that ran this year with a relatively unknown driver finishing 8th. The car is 31,500 and was built by my good friend Joe Aquilante whom most of you know or know of. Only problem is that the car is in CA. But still a great deal. This car with a good driver will kick most any 350z's butt. Just something to think about
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Honestly... save for the T1 car... but in the meantime invest in 3m tape and track the C6... shoot I'd get clear bra on a new car anyway!

Or... get a beat up 97 coupe and go budget racing.... gut, seats, slicks. However... by the time you're done w/ mods it'd have been cheaper to get a nice used T1 car.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon

And you know Ryan, you're going to miss that torque under your right foot.
True I have driven a few 350's and they were fun, but they are no vette by any means.

Originally Posted by varkwso

A T1 vette will still eat tires and brakes - 150 mph in a 3000 pound car - the energy has to go somewhere....so a lesser car is not always bad.

Gary - a Spec Miata driven them - they get pretty boring pretty fast unless you are racing other SMs.....
Exactly why I was thinking of "lesser" cars - less cost on consumables......oh and spec miata? agreed, only fun if you are racing in SM....but for HPDE and TT, no way! I want to have a car that is fast enough so that I do not have my arm out the window the entire session pointing everyone by.

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
May I ask what you are going to pay for the car? There is a great deal on one of the 2005 season T2 Champion Subaru WRX STI cars that ran this year with a relatively unknown driver finishing 8th. The car is 31,500 and was built by my good friend Joe Aquilante whom most of you know or know of. Only problem is that the car is in CA. But still a great deal. This car with a good driver will kick most any 350z's butt. Just something to think about
The car is in Cali too...right now i have them down to 25 shipped, including 2 sets of extra wheels and various spare parts (including front/rear bumpers)...I thought it was a pretty good deal....

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Honestly... save for the T1 car... but in the meantime invest in 3m tape and track the C6... shoot I'd get clear bra on a new car anyway!

Or... get a beat up 97 coupe and go budget racing.... gut, seats, slicks. However... by the time you're done w/ mods it'd have been cheaper to get a nice used T1 car.
I have a hard time waiting for things! I cannot stand the expression "good things come to those who wait" - my experience, if you stand around and wait, you get passed by! But, in this case, I might just have to wait. I was thinking about buying a 97-99 c5, gutting, etc etc. granted it might cost more in the end, but I enjoy doing the work on the car, so it would be a fun project.

Oh, and my intention is not to run in SCCA T1/T2...I want to run TT next year and then move on to PT the following. With that said, I would continue to modify whichever car to make it lighter, faster, better, etc anyway. I figure a Tx car is a good base to start with.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
Me too, I agree. It used to be cheap, $1500 crate motors, but now you need $7000 trick motors. How about an ex-NASCAR car or truck? You could run SCCA SPO, and would be alot of fun on track days
Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I like the 350Z. I think that I was the one that originally suggested it. It is a little heavy for its size and underpowered compared to the Vette (what isn't?), but its handling is very sharp. It's also a very competitive car in the T2 class if that's what direction you want to go in.

It's a tough call because now that the Viper is in Super Touring, the T1 Corvette will be really competitive again.

If it's only a 6 month wait to save the money that you need, I'd probably wait because I think that the Corvette is where your heart is. Until then, just put yourself in the C or D class at the DE's and take it easy. At least you'll be out there having fun while you're saving for your T1 car.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:47 PM
racetex
Advanced

FYI The Viper never left T1 and will again be in T1 for 07.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:16 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racetex
FYI The Viper never left T1 and will again be in T1 for 07.
I thought that they created a Super Touring class because of the Viper?

Are they going to run it more restricted next season for the Vipers in T1?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I thought that they created a Super Touring class because of the Viper?

Are they going to run it more restricted next season for the Vipers in T1?

Yes, restricted Vipers will still be running in T1. C6 Z06s and Vipers will also run in Super Touring from what I understand.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Oli, you are correct.

To me it sure seems like SCCA is pushing the Viper to ST, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy T2 350z now, or wait for T1 vette?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

anymore thoughts? anyone know how to reduce weight effectively on the 350z?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:46 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
anymore thoughts? anyone know how to reduce weight effectively on the 350z?
NASA puts them at 3188 - 3370 depending on the Coupe model you have. I am willing to bet the T2 car will be trimmed to the amount allowed by the SCCA. You know how much that car weighs?

The 350Z power to weight is better than the new Mustang GTs and especially the V6s!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I think the SCCA T2 trim is 32xxlbs...is that including driver??

Quick Reply: Buy T2 350z now, or wait for T1 vette?