Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump install advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:05 AM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accusump install advice.

I have Canton accusump in hand and will be installing soon. I've got a couple of questions regarding installation. '02Z

I not currently running a aux. oil cooler so I think I'll plumb the accusump into the block at a tapped oil galley plug. Where exactly is this plug?

It seems that a good location is in the left wheel well but I would dearly love to get it on the right side of the car somewhere. My battery has been relocated so maybe just maybe it could go there. Looks like the right wheel well is full of electronics. What about putting it in the passenger side floor near the firewall and cover it and the lines in a box? Is that nuts?

Anyone have a diagram of the oil system on an LS6? I'd really like to see how plumbing this thing into the oil galley is going to feed the bottom end? I can't quite visuallize that. Canton thought that it was a plenty good place to plumb in. I have my doubts.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:34 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is in the nose of the car

http://shielsmasonry.com/accusumpmountsm.jpg
Old 12-23-2006, 10:10 PM
danswofford
Pro

I got it wedged in the original location of the battery. I'm installing a 2 QT. so it is small enough to fit. I've got a manual cable running to the area of the dash where the ash tray was.

Now I'm not sure where to plumb it into. I'm thinking a oil filter plate might work pretty well.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:15 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
I got it wedged in the original location of the battery. I'm installing a 2 QT. so it is small enough to fit. I've got a manual cable running to the area of the dash where the ash tray was.

Now I'm not sure where to plumb it into. I'm thinking a oil filter plate might work pretty well.
Hopefully RAFTRACER (Danny Popp) chimes in, he can tell you exactly what parts you need to install this properly so there is no drain back and you don't hurt the motor. I do know you must use a 1/2 check valve in one of the lines. My T1 Vette is done this way in the drivers fender, but have not looked to see how it is plumbed.

Danny knows his stuff on these, as this is one of his professions.

Aaron Quine
Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My accusump on the roadrace car is mounted in the passenger fender. I am using a 3 quart Canton accusump unit with a cable operated manual valve assy. My computer has been relocted under the passenger side dash to accomplish this, my battery is in the stock location although it is a little oddesey unit , laying down flat. The 3 quart unit just barely fits with this configuration and is mounted outside the passenger frame rail where the computer was previously mounted. I like the manual valve because there is never any doubt to if the valve is open or closed. My valve is mounted very close to the unit behind where my battery is located along the passenger firewall. From there my line runs behind the engine block and is "T'ed" into the oil cooler line adapter block assy(typical adapter mounted to left rear upper part of oil pan) on the return side from the cooler. The return line from the cooler has the one-way check valve in it ,located close to the oil cooler line adapter block. It took me a while to come up with the correct fittings to run the accusump line into the adapter block , keeping it close to the engine block ,away from the headers , and behind the block not hitting the bellhousing flange. It can be done.....I would try to take and post pictures if the car was being stored right now. This has seemed to work well as I have not consumed an engine yet to oil starvation (knock on wood). I have been running this majoritily with the LS6 oil pan, but plan on using the LS2 pan on the other motor. The motor is currently 70+k LS6 being spun over 7k alot......as I said knock on wood.
Read and study the operations and air pressure requirements for the system and continually monitor the air charge with the accusump discharged. If your air pressure leaks out and you fill the valve and close it (as we do to not have a dry start), when the ambient temperature rises the completely oil filled accusump with the valve closed will pressure spike and either leak oil like crazy through the "blow-off" valve or brake the housing if the "blow-off" valve is discarded.........ask me how I know......I fortunately had the leak, I know others who have the blow-off plugged or capped and this could cause mechanical damage to the cylinder or components.

If you can't afford a dry-sump it is best to have some sort of protection in my book......wise purchase my friend
Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Tom03Z06
Racer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=accusump
Old 12-24-2006, 12:14 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are not using an oil cooler mount into galley at left rear of engine block.........If I were you , planning on running alot on the roadcourses I would consider heavily running an oil cooler.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:36 AM
danswofford
Pro

I'll get to the oil cooler when I can. I don't know where the plug is at the back of the engine but I've found the one under the alternator. Seems like that would be a good place to plumb in. The supply line is decently short to that location too.

I just can't stand to drive one more time at a track without an accumulator. I was watching my oil pressuse last time out and in a 180 degree left hand turn, I saw the pressure go down a few pounds at the end of the turn even as the revs were going up, so right there I think the oil pickup was dry momentarily.

Do you think that the galley plug at the front left engine is a good place to plumb into?

The 2 qt. accusump fit pretty well in the battery location. The battery is going behind the passenger seat, which I think is OK since it is a dry cell battery, no acid.

Dan
Old 12-26-2006, 12:33 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not a bad spot but is still in front of the filter so it will try to push back threw the pump and it will still have to fill the filter. I would try to use the galley Danny was talking about. It is straight above the oil filter and the oil temp sending unit. I would also use a two stage valve so you are not refilling the accusump volume while your motor is regaining oil pressure
Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Westwopper
Racer

I just put a Dewitts in with EOC on the cool side. Am I correct in assuming that if I continue to run the car 1 quart over, I will not have any oiling issues when I use the car for track days?

Just to throw another one out there, what weight oil are you guys running. In my Spec Miata I ran 5W30 Valvoline. Most ran 20W50 which I felt was waaaaaaaaaaaaay to thick for a cool running low tech motor. I am using the 5W30 Mobil 1 and when I can get it the 5W40 truck / Diesel Mobil 1.

Regards,
Tony
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by DALE C
I would also use a two stage valve so you are not refilling the accusump volume while your motor is regaining oil pressure
That is a good point. Describe what this two stage valve is?
Dan
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 PM
danswofford
Pro

Anybody have a diagram of the oil system so I can see how the system works?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 PM
danswofford
Pro

I'm plumbed in at the front left gallery plug for now. I've been hustling getting a bunch of things ready to run Laguna Seca Jan. 2. I've got to get a big radiator in by summer so I might re-plumb it some other way then.

For the archives the 2Qt fit nicely in the stock battery location. I mounted the manual valve handle on an aluminum plate that is in the dash where the ash tray was. The cable snakes above the passenger foot well side, goes through the fireway and then connects to the Accusump. All fit quite well and I only used 86 swear words to get it all done. For me that was good.

Get notified of new replies

To Accusump install advice.

Quick Reply: Accusump install advice.