Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Track Tires/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:30 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Track Tires/Wheels

i recently updated from a c4 to a c5 and i am trying to get the car set up for racing like the c4 was. it will see both autocrosses and track days and i am trying to figure out my wheels first. i have 4 z06 rears with 315/35-18 V710s from the c4 and i am wondering if they will work ok on the c5. the fronts are a really tight fit and i would think that when the car is cornering hard they will rub a little. from some of the other threads it seems like people are running tires this big in the front, what i cant tell is what offsets/wheel sizes are necessary and what alignment settings are needed. any advice on what will or will not work for track wheels? also, most people ive talked to seem to like running the same size front and rear (although a lot of those people run c4s). do those of you that race c5s feel the same way or do you think smaller wheels in the front are better? tia,
lane
Old 12-24-2006, 09:57 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run grand sport knock offs, 11x17 rear and 9.5 front. Just did a track day with all 11' X 17 to get to having same size tires all the way around and the 11" on front worked beautifully for sure. I've got DRM brake cooler vents so even the 9.5 rubbed just a touch and so do the 11' but just the same no worse. To solve that little prob I try not to ever go lock to lock on sterring then no prob at all. In track/autocross you never go lock to lock anyway. The front tires stick out a little past fender, I didn't have any clearence probs, car sits low, but I'm running stiff T-1 springs.
I love running all same 17" tires all the way around as they are cheap and the obviouse economics of using the same tires frt/rear is the bonus for going to the same size. I align my C5 with the track specs spelled out in VBP catalog.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 C5 and run Z06 rears all the way around with no problems. Got them because of the availabilty of used 18" track tires. Hard to beat $75 or less per tire for DE's.

I use 305 30 (or 35) tires. I've heard 335 will work on the rear but may rub on the front. I have not tried that size.

I have also had a range of alignments from stock C5 to Z06 to a more agressive track alignment. Other than trashing the inside tread on my street tires with the track alignment, there were no interference issues with the 18X10.5 on the front in any for these configurations.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the posts guys. i was able to stick on some stock z06 wheels and tires (295/35-18 on the 10.5 rim) and they seem to get really close to the outside front edge of the inner fender. it looks like i might be able to adjust the connection to the front bumper here to pull the inner fender out more and clear up some space. it also looks like once i get my track alignment it will clear a little better too. run now its basically straight up so i figure -2 camber will free up some space from the looks of things. i have seen a lot that agrees with what you said john, i just dont want to stick some tires on there and then hit a corner really hard and have the tire tear up the body. sounds like ill be ok though, thanks.

anyone have recommendations on what tires will work best (305/315, 315/315, 305/335, etc)? i realize you can set up the suspension to deal with whatever size is used but in terms of availability, the supposed traction/abs issues, and general balance of the car, what are people finding is best? thanks, and merry christmas.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg

anyone have recommendations on what tires will work best (305/315, 315/315, 305/335, etc)? i realize you can set up the suspension to deal with whatever size is used but in terms of availability, the supposed traction/abs issues, and general balance of the car, what are people finding is best? thanks, and merry christmas.
I run the 315 x 17 combo on the front. The wheel is a GS offset wheel and the tire just fits in the wheel well. If I turn tight in the garage I can take my inside wheel weights off with the tie rod end. However, I would be reluctant to go that wide with an 18 inch wheel in the front. I would stick with a 305 in the front.

As far as ABS traction control issues you will not have any as long as you follow this rule of thumb. The front tire diameter has to be less than or no more than equal to the rear tire diameter. 315/35 x 17 tires on all 4 corners are 25.3 in diameter and 275/40x17 fronts with 315/35 x 17s in the rear are the same also.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Track Tires/Wheels

Quick Reply: C5 Track Tires/Wheels