Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Install

I'm installing a 15 lb. Odyssey battery behind the passenger seat. I'm running a positive cable from the battery to join the old positive cable at the old battery location. Do I need to run a negative battery cable from the battery to the starter or do I just run a short cable from the battery to the frame?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this with a PC680 a few weeks ago. I just ran a negative cable to an existing ground inside the car. I have gone a month and 2 track events with no problems.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:39 AM
danswofford
Pro

Looks like the large stock neg. cable goes from the battery to a ground on the engine and there is a smaller neg. cable that goes to the frame. So I think I'll just ground the new battery to the frame.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:08 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

that will work, but if you ever have any strange electrical gremlins, you might want to add more grounds. The more stable the grounding of your car, the less likely things (like ABS, etc) will flake out on you.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:14 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

You can run the ground to the frame. It does not go to the starter, the positive lead does. For the ground just make sure it is to the metal, no paint or rust. Also you should be able to run a shorter positive by running it to the starter instead of to the cable running from the old battery location.
MAC

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Install

Quick Reply: Battery Install