Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM INSTALL: disconnecting dewitts left side oil cooler w/ minimal loss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default CAM INSTALL: disconnecting dewitts left side oil cooler w/ minimal loss?

I need to get the radiator/cooler out to install the cam obviously. I'd like to keep the oil in there for breakin, then change after a few hundred miles.

However... I'm wondering what the best way to disconnect is.

I'm thinking disconnect the lower line and let whatever drains out drain... then cap the line somehow.... then remove the top lind and do the same.

Anyone ave any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

man, it's only a little oil. Let it go, and throw an equivalent amount in. Your going to be losing oil out of the timing cover anyway (not a lot).

**however, if they are an lines, or npt lines, you can buy caps/plugs for just about any thread that exists. Hardware stores have npt plugs, and any race shop can sell you an plugs/caps, very cheap
Old 12-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The lines are AN-10 lines I believe... I'm not worried about loosing the oil. I guess... just unsure of how much will drain back into the pan when the car is off... I don't think much drains back. Just wondering if when I crack the line the air path will allow the oil to then drain back. Maybe I'll crack the top line first in hopes that line adn the oil in the cooler will then drain back... if not I don't really care.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the price of oil, I would just drain it all. it is better to do things right then half a$$ed
Old 12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

regardless, it is not enough oil to matter. If you are concerned about dry startup, then install an accisump to prelube the engine.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, dump all of the oil. I would go to autozone or whatever and buy some of the big jugs with cheap oil.

Last time I did a cam, I put in a big jug, ran the engine for a few minutes, and dumped it. Then put in another jug. Just cost a few $$ and might get any junk out that falls in during the cam change.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To CAM INSTALL: disconnecting dewitts left side oil cooler w/ minimal loss?

Quick Reply: CAM INSTALL: disconnecting dewitts left side oil cooler w/ minimal loss?