Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which sway bars?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 PM
stickystuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which sway bars?

mainly take the car to hpde's. was thinking of a set of T1's or pfadtracing. heard good reviews of the t1's. anyone running the pfadtracing bars? any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pfadt are adjustable, so that is a plus. Just bought the heavier Pfatty bars and will be installing soon.

What model car and what mods do you have?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:44 AM
stickystuff
Racer

^^^
Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
FatsoRacing
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by stickystuff
was thinking of a set of T1's or pfadtracing. heard good reviews of the t1's. anyone running the pfadtracing bars? any thoughts?
I've got the same question but for an 01 Convt setting up for Solo2. Stock drivetrain (so far) but suspension mods point me to Street Mod, (SM2).

VBP Extreme front spring, Z06 rear, Koni adjustable shocks, extended lowering bolts. Originally an F45 car so changing out everything.

The Pfadtracing bars are attractive with their adjustability...but would like to hear from anyone with experience.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:00 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsoRacing
I've got the same question but for an 01 Convt setting up for Solo2. Stock drivetrain (so far) but suspension mods point me to Street Mod, (SM2).

VBP Extreme front spring, Z06 rear, Koni adjustable shocks, extended lowering bolts. Originally an F45 car so changing out everything.

The Pfadtracing bars are attractive with their adjustability...but would like to hear from anyone with experience.

Thanks!

If these are your only suspension mods, you are an ASP car not a SM2 car.....which is good because it will be a whole lot cheaper on your wallet. We have a gentleman up in these parts who has an AE '03 convertible that goes suprisingly quick even with the F55 in ASP.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure there's much of a difference aside from ability to adjust (after all we're talking about a bent metal tube effectively). Also, be realistic about how much good the adjustability does you. I know I for one want a set up that's good out of the box then I don't want to screw with it. Easier to screw things to hell with adjustable sway bars and shocks/springs coilovers if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 PM
FatsoRacing
Heel & Toe

I appreciate the responses, but point out that Stickystuff's original post and my add-on are both asking for actual experience vice opinion. I look forward to Bimota Guy's results...

As to the benefits of adjustability, I think the more you play the handling game the more apparent it becomes how subtle suspension tuning can be. I'm a new Vette owner, but Fatso (father/son) Racing has spent the last five years running a Dodge Neon from STS to SM to the point where 300WHP and 2300lbs on Kumho 710s requires constant tweaking of adjustable corner weighting, alignment, shocks, sway bars and tire pressures. The last event of the 06 season, (which we won), depended on a 2lb tire pressure change that changed plowing understeer into snap rotation. Someone has made an unrefuseable offer to buy the Neon...so starting a learning curve all over again.

Again, let me say how much I appreciate the flow of info and the obvious comradarie apparent in this forum...this is going to be fun!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Do a search this was talked about less than a month ago on this very forum...............

Problem is with suspension set-up, there are many, many variables which will require different sway bars , depending on drivers comfort/experience, conditions and co-efficient of surface, and car set-up. There is no magic bar set that works wanders for everyone and it is best to evaluate what is going to be correct for your application and or expectations. Pfadt makes nice adjustable bars that will cover a range of roll coupling, which is nice if you do not knwo what is best......If I were going to buy either T1 bars or Pfadt bars , I would buy the adjustable bars....they both cost about the same and the Pfadt's are nicer and adjustable, although I understand that the new T1 bars are also adjustable. You can however have the correct bars on the car for less money buy using non-adjustable Addco bars (which I have been happy and FAST on) which are slightly over 1/2 as much as the above.

If you are going to auto-x , you might just play with the front bars and leave the rear one alone ( or use less rear bar) . This all really depends on course design and surface type. Slow course , less front bar , more rear bar ( helps rotate). Fast course more front bar, less rear bar ( less rotation). What makes the car fit the driver like a glove is what is best............
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The adjustability factor is very attractive since you'll be able to control your push/pull to you driving characteristics and type of event and surface.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
If I were going to buy either T1 bars or Pfadt bars , I would buy the adjustable bars....they both cost about the same and the Pfadt's are nicer and adjustable, although I understand that the new T1 bars are also adjustable.
the newer T1 bars have 3 holes to make adjustments

Originally Posted by Darkness
The adjustability factor is very attractive since you'll be able to control your push/pull to you driving characteristics and type of event and surface.
would you adjust the swaybar though or make other changes? I really wonder how many people change their sway bar settings.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1515861
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I really wonder how many people change their sway bar settings.
Probably not enough.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
would you adjust the swaybar though or make other changes? I really wonder how many people change their sway bar settings.
Probably not many once the settings were dialed in for the setup. But imagine you run some stickier tires in the rear for example and start getting some understeer, it would help to stiffen the rear bar a little.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
stickystuff
Racer

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Do a search this was talked about less than a month ago on this very forum...............

Problem is with suspension set-up, there are many, many variables which will require different sway bars , depending on drivers comfort/experience, conditions and co-efficient of surface, and car set-up. There is no magic bar set that works wanders for everyone and it is best to evaluate what is going to be correct for your application and or expectations. Pfadt makes nice adjustable bars that will cover a range of roll coupling, which is nice if you do not knwo what is best......If I were going to buy either T1 bars or Pfadt bars , I would buy the adjustable bars....they both cost about the same and the Pfadt's are nicer and adjustable, although I understand that the new T1 bars are also adjustable. You can however have the correct bars on the car for less money buy using non-adjustable Addco bars (which I have been happy and FAST on) which are slightly over 1/2 as much as the above.

If you are going to auto-x , you might just play with the front bars and leave the rear one alone ( or use less rear bar) . This all really depends on course design and surface type. Slow course , less front bar , more rear bar ( helps rotate). Fast course more front bar, less rear bar ( less rotation). What makes the car fit the driver like a glove is what is best............

Who sells the Addco bars?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stickystuff
Who sells the Addco bars?
Ecklers...they come with bushings AND adjustable metal endlinks, so don't buy them seperately. I upgraded to these from Z06 bars. I thought the T1's might be too much, and the price absolutely closed the deal.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

ATI , Vette Brakes and Van Steel ( forum sponsors that are in-tune with performance) also sell the Addco bars.....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
FatsoRacing
Heel & Toe

I spoke with Pfadt Racing tech support and have decided to try their Pfatty Bars competition package. The front bar max's out slightly less than the T1 and the rear slightly stiffer. The individual I talked to has been running a set on the street, including the pillow block mounts, and says it is not a bad ride. What clinched the deal is the offer to up/down size the bars based on results on an exchange basis.

I appreciate everyone's perspective on the subject, lots of good points made. I'll post results, hopefully will have everything installed in time for Jan 14 Winter Series (test and tune) event in Colorado Springs.

Get notified of new replies

To which sway bars?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
FatsoRacing
Heel & Toe

The question immediately came up, and no, I did not offer to change the team name to Pfatso Racing...

Fatso = Father/Son (I have more money, he's a better driver).
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FatsoRacing
I'll post results, hopefully will have everything installed in time for Jan 14 Winter Series (test and tune) event in Colorado Springs.
Won't you need chains on your tires?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrz1
Not sure there's much of a difference aside from ability to adjust (after all we're talking about a bent metal tube effectively). Also, be realistic about how much good the adjustability does you. I know I for one want a set up that's good out of the box then I don't want to screw with it. Easier to screw things to hell with adjustable sway bars and shocks/springs coilovers if you don't know what you're doing.
That is a good point, however, sways are the BIGGEST tool in your handling tool box to dial in the understeer/ovesteer of your car. It is really very simple. You want be able to move the balance of grip from the end of the car that has it to the end that needs it.

For the most part, you will find a setting that works with your favorite tire combo and on your commmon tracks and not mess with it. The balance of the car will change with tire wear, tire temperature and fuel load for that matter but as long as the car is close most drivers will just drive around the imperfections.

There are a million 'adjustable' things you can put on your car. The one that is likely to gain you the most in terms of lap times by adjusting it is your sway bars. The other nice thing about them is that most drivers at any experience level can feel the difference in handling and learn to make the adjustments. If you take a severe 'push' out of your car by stiffening up the rear sway bar a hole or two it'll make you remember.

Aaron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which sway bars?