Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford GTR for ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:42 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford GTR for ALMS

http://www.the-paddock.net/sportscar...iew/240963/49/
Old 12-27-2006, 07:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 12-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

------------
There were rumors a while back about 1 of the big 3 leaving NASCAR to focus on GT racing. I had assumed that it was going to be Ford. Anyone know why Ford isn't funding this?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Westwopper
Racer

Huh.... that seems all over the board. They talk VW (porsche) and Ferrari like the car would go GT2, then they say Vette and VW (never seen a GT1 VW) in GT1....

That would be fly to have the Panoz, Ferrari, (someone should by Tom Milners BMW's and run them), doodle bugs (VW(porsche)), and a Ford GT battling it out .... then in LeMans, add the Spykers and maybe the TVR's. That would be a race!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:35 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can take the C6R's place when they pull out of the ALMS and go elsewhere.....

The NCM magazine had a good article about how the Corvette team is pretty fed up with the handicaps they had to deal with this year. I'm sure they are just showing their displeasure with ALMS and will be back in '07. I would like to see the C6R battling (aka beating) the Ford and the Aston Martin.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:48 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see what they really try to do. They talk about running with the "Corvette and Porsche in GT1". Well, Porsche doesn't run GT1 of ALMS. However, Corvette and Porsche are classed the same in the Grand Am series.

Can the Ford GT really run with the Pratt-Miller and Prodrive teams of ALMS?

Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by boerio
It will be interesting to see what they really try to do. They talk about running with the "Corvette and Porsche in GT1". Well, Porsche doesn't run GT1 of ALMS. However, Corvette and Porsche are classed the same in the Grand Am series.

Can the Ford GT really run with the Pratt-Miller and Prodrive teams of ALMS?

Jeff
When one looks close at that web site the info is 6+ months old. Hard to take seriosly with old and misinformation.

The GT40s engine is too big for the Grand Am races. However, the SCCA is allowing the GT40 to race in the new Super Touring group with the C6Z.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty corny website...they seem pretty confident.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
pretty corny website...they seem pretty confident.
Heh. Have to sound confident if you want to attract investors. Think they should cut the clip about running mid-pack, however

- Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Westwopper
Racer

3 months till Sebring...

Why do I picture that GT40 as being as successful as the Lambo's were (with Barber?)....

If you look at the info for Lemans Endurance Series, there seem to be a few more of those Panoz things floating around.... Also, Luc Alpinestar Adventures (no idea what the real name is) is running a C6R.

Last edited by Westwopper; 12-27-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

That's what Ford should have done with the GT when it came out. Maybe they wouldn't be in such a state if they did. Look what ALMS has done for Audi.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 72vette_454
The NCM magazine had a good article about how the Corvette team is pretty fed up with the handicaps they had to deal with this year. I'm sure they are just showing their displeasure with ALMS and will be back in '07. I would like to see the C6R battling (aka beating) the Ford and the Aston Martin.
The NCM article was garbage. Received mine the week before Christmas, already had the news Chevy is returning to GT1 from the week prior. I know the NCM is not trying to be the racing mag, but when stuff is months old.... it's pointless. Unless you are one the old farts that is getting the rag for free from buying your new C6. Then just flip through looking for tacky appearance mods.

As far as Ford GT being competetive in GT1 first season. Not going to happen. Took Corvette several years to do so, and then Prodrive had experience with other cars before taking on Aston as their ride, and they still haven't won a Championship. Ford would be flat out embarassed.

Besides, I don't think this guy has the funds to support a full season of ALMS.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
The NCM article was garbage. Received mine the week before Christmas, already had the news Chevy is returning to GT1 from the week prior. I know the NCM is not trying to be the racing mag, but when stuff is months old.... it's pointless. Unless you are one the old farts that is getting the rag for free from buying your new C6. Then just flip through looking for tacky appearance mods.

As far as Ford GT being competetive in GT1 first season. Not going to happen. Took Corvette several years to do so, and then Prodrive had experience with other cars before taking on Aston as their ride, and they still haven't won a Championship. Ford would be flat out embarassed.

Besides, I don't think this guy has the funds to support a full season of ALMS.
Like someone else mentioned, the information on the web site could be as much as six months old. Maybe more money has materialized since then

I agree though, that it will be difficult for these guys to be competitive out of the gate.

- Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When one looks close at that web site the info is 6+ months old. Hard to take seriosly with old and misinformation.

The GT40s engine is too big for the Grand Am races. However, the SCCA is allowing the GT40 to race in the new Super Touring group with the C6Z.
The comment of the aluminum chassis so well engineered??? Humm, when torn apart, both of their chassis are practically identical. I guess history once again repeats itself. In 1947 the Russian TU-4 was introduced to the World. Not to say that the Russians were not capable of engineering such a plane but it was built three years after the Russians interned the crew of a B-29 that was forced to divert to the Soviet Union.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Holman & Moody have an ORIGINAL GT40 for sale.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/

GT P Mark II
Car Class: GT Mark IIA Race Car
Chassis Number: Holman Moody #201 built to 1966 race ready condition
Current Description:
Color: White / Black racing Interior
Wheels: Halibrand Knock off
Engine: Correct Dry sump Aluminum head 427 Ford
Carb: 1 4v Holley
Rear Fenders: Standard GT Mark II A
Oil coolers: Two, one engine, one trany
Hood Scoop: Yes- two rear brake NASA type on rear deck
Roll Bar: No, as raced in 1965-6
Exhaust: Stainless Steel headers
Modifications: Has 1967 Mark II B oil tank
Current Condition: Original race ready

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-28-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Porsche in GT1?

I'm surprised that the Saleen competes in FIA GT Championship, but doesn't compete in the ALMS.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033

------------
There were rumors a while back about 1 of the big 3 leaving NASCAR to focus on GT racing. I had assumed that it was going to be Ford. Anyone know why Ford isn't funding this?
If you mortgaged everythink you own like Ford just did I am sure you would be pinching pennies also. There still may be a NASCAR drop out. THey have a hard road ahead.

The GT-40 from them is One million bucks or more and they can make them for you if you have the coin. I sent them an email and it was big money.

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-28-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ford GTR for ALMS

Old 12-30-2006, 08:45 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Westwopper
Why do I picture that GT40 as being as successful as the Lambo's were (with Barber?)....
because Doran is building the car.

http://www.doranracing.com/

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
That's what Ford should have done with the GT when it came out. Maybe they wouldn't be in such a state if they did. Look what ALMS has done for Audi.
They still sell fwd sedans and launched an suv recently. Where are their diesels?

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
As far as Ford GT being competetive in GT1 first season. Not going to happen. Took Corvette several years to do so, and then Prodrive had experience with other cars before taking on Aston as their ride, and they still haven't won a Championship.
An Aston Martin team won the GT1 team championship in LMS in 2006.

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I'm surprised that the Saleen competes in FIA GT Championship, but doesn't compete in the ALMS.
Terry Borcheller told me in an email that Jeff Giangrande spent $4 million in 2005. Jeff owned the ACEMCO Motorsports team.

Last edited by micro; 01-03-2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: it was $4 million and not 5
Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by micro
They still sell fwd sedans and launched an suv recently. Where are their diesels?
Notice they pulled the diesel V10 Toureg off the market after 1 year. The quality of the US diesel was causing issues. Diesel in the states sucks. Go look at the ratio of petrol Vs Diesel in Europe.

An Aston Martin team won the GT1 team championship in LMS in 2006.
Let me know when that translates into a ALMS win over the factory Corvette team.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Huh.... $5 mill for a year of GT1 is pretty damn cheap. I'm guessing GM's budget is about 2x that.

Quick Reply: Ford GTR for ALMS