Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camber adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:58 PM
cudadude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber adjustments

(At the recommendation of another forum member, I've copied this post to this forum from the C6 Tech forum)

Greetings all, it's time for new tires and I notice that the outsides are a bit more worn than the insides, especially on the left tire. I know much of this is due to my driving style (hard cornering especially). I looked at the front camber specs for the Z51 and the Z06 in the 2006 GM service manual. For the Z51 the front camber is stated as -0.45 and +/-0.50 with a camber cross tolerance of 0.00 +/- 0.60. For the Z06, the specs are -1.00 +/- 0.60 with the same cross tolerance spec (all numbers in degrees).
I'm planning to autocross the car more this year and wonder if it would make sense to increase the negative camber by .5 to 1.0 degrees. I wonder if this would also partially address the wear problem.
Finally, for autocrossing, should the rear camber be increased as well. From what I think I know, it looks like there are marks on the lower control arm cam bolts which can be used to mark various settings. If the alignment shop was to mark each position (street/autocross) would it not be a fairly easy job to readjust them myself?
Thanks...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

when the camber changes, the toe changes. Easy to mark and change camber, toe can be much trickier. If you can find a shop willing to walk you through it, you might be able to replicate the OEM alignment, but better to learn to do your own alignments OR just go with a comprimise setup.

As you've said, the Z06 alignment allows up to -1.6deg camber. That is plenty for your use, and will not abuse the tires on the street too much. You definitely want some neg camber in the rear, but usually less. I'd do -1.6 front, -1.2rear, more or less.

I've got a DIY alignment sheet that I'll try and re-post tomorrow. Shows you how to measure toe, camber and castor
Old 12-29-2006, 11:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...8&d=1163445754
Old 12-30-2006, 10:47 PM
cudadude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, David...
Seems like nothing is simple - adjust one thing and something else goes south.

Get notified of new replies

To camber adjustments

Quick Reply: camber adjustments