Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear toe

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear toe

The guys at the tire shop where I have alignment done can't seem to figure out the difference between toe in degrees and toe in in inches. I requested 1/4" toe in in the rear and their final printout says .25 degrees. They say it is the same, I say they are not.

Anyone know what 1/4" toe in degrees would be?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
The guys at the tire shop where I have alignment done can't seem to figure out the difference between toe in degrees and toe in in inches. I requested 1/4" toe in in the rear and their final printout says .25 degrees. They say it is the same, I say they are not.

Anyone know what 1/4" toe in degrees would be?
You are right , they are certainly not the same

I am not a geometry major, but I know the relationship is not linear......I believe however on your sized wheels that 1/4 degree = half of that number in inches or roughly 1/8". I dont know what kind of machine your shop was using, but if it was a Hunter , I know they could have immediately converted their measurements if they knew how to completely use their machine.

I always like to look at toe in inches, it makes it easier for my feeble brain
Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much what Raftracer said, almost 1/8" toe (.125").
.25 degrees comes up to .111" on a 25.6" tire. Great if that is how much each rear wheel is toed in, not so good if that is the total number.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
danswofford
Pro

I think the guy running the machine this time screwed up.

He set the total toe to .25 degrees and told me it was .25 inches.

The sheet says the toe was .86 degrees before he changed it which may have been the previous alignment of 1/4 inch.

No problem, I'll just take it back and they will redo it. One guy that works there tracks a Miata with a small block in it, that has good to be a hoot. Their rack has no ramp which suits my car as my splitter sits about 2" high.

So back to toe, do I tell them 1/4" total toe in or 1/4" each wheel?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What car?

1/4" toe (1 side) is 0.55 degrees
3/16" per side is 0.41 degrees, so close to what you had at 0.86 total

I ran 3/8" total (3/16" per side) on my Z06 in Super Stock. 1/4" per side (1/2" total) is quite a bit but not unheard of for Solo. It WILL destroy your tires on the street.

BTW, at 3/16" per side, it is right about 1 full turn of the adjusters from that setting back to zero toe. This allowed me to set the toe back to zero for street driving.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:29 AM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
What car?

1/4" toe (1 side) is 0.55 degrees
3/16" per side is 0.41 degrees, so close to what you had at 0.86 total

I ran 3/8" total (3/16" per side) on my Z06 in Super Stock. 1/4" per side (1/2" total) is quite a bit but not unheard of for Solo. It WILL destroy your tires on the street.

BTW, at 3/16" per side, it is right about 1 full turn of the adjusters from that setting back to zero toe. This allowed me to set the toe back to zero for street driving.
C5Z road racing only. Kumho's, T1 sways, Coil overs with Bilsteins.

Last edited by danswofford; 12-31-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

To change from degrees to inches you need to measure the length (lets call it B) of the line on the face of the wheel from where you measure the distance across the rear of the tires and where you measure across the front of the tires.

The measurent in inches of the amount of toe = B * Sin (the angle).

So for a .5 degree toe in (the angle) across a wheel that is 14.5 inches across the face (B) = .1243 inches difference from rear to front with the front measurement being smaller than the rear. That is almost an 1/8 of an inch.

Bill
Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
To change from degrees to inches you need to measure the length (lets call it B) of the line on the face of the wheel from where you measure the distance across the rear of the tires and where you measure across the front of the tires.

The measurent in inches of the amount of toe = B * Sin (the angle).

So for a .5 degree toe in (the angle) across a wheel that is 14.5 inches across the face (B) = .1243 inches difference from rear to front with the front measurement being smaller than the rear. That is almost an 1/8 of an inch.

Bill
You're off by a factor of 2 Bill. That equation just gives you the front or rear difference, not both combined.

Also, the tire shops typically use 12" for the "B" distance, but you can just use 24" for the total toe.

So, for 1/4" total toe in (B=24):

angle = invsin (toe/B)

= invsin (.25/24)

= .6 degrees

Also, "toe in" is a positive angle, "toe out" is a negative angle.

Dave G.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm surprised it took so many postes to reach 9th grade math level.

I use 18" as my diameter, as I measure at the edge of the rim.

sin (angle) = .125/18 (.125 per wheel = .25 total)

angle=0.4 deg for each wheel , 0.8deg total for .25 total toe

They basically put on 1/3 as much toe as you want. You basically need an additional bit of toe, but not too much. You need another 3/16" toe, so I'd just loosen each rear toe-link 2 "flats". 1 Flat=1/6 turn, so turn each adjuster 1/3 of a turn.

** I'm not contradicting talon's math, I just use a slightly different diameter number***

Last edited by davidfarmer; 12-31-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:16 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

btw, the guy just didn't know any better. Most people barely remember elementary school math, let alone geometry.

You should download my DIY alignment guide and do it yourself anyway

see this thread for more info

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=alignment
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM
talon95
Pro

I agree. The best way to do this is just have the alignment shop set to zero toe and then adjust it yourself. Toe plates are cheap and fairly accurate.

As also suggested above, you can just turn each tie rod a specific amount (like 1/2 turn, 1 turn, etc...) and get it close as long as you know where you're starting (like zero).

On my car 1 1/4 turns on both sides gets very close to .5" total toe (measured at ~24" distance) when starting at zero toe.

When comparing toe settings in inches, that distance is critical though obviously. .5" total for me will only be .375" to David Farmer.

(18/24) * .5 = .375 (similar triangles for you math dudes)

Dave G.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
talon95
Pro

These are the plates I use.

http://soloperformance.com/ShoppingC...0/Default.aspx

Dave G.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

as in my DIY guide above, you can make very accurate, repeatable measurements with nothing but a tape measure and a straight edge. It has gotten me through tons of alignments, including setup on my old World Challenge ride. I haven't trusted an alignment/tire shop in over 10year. They have awesome hardware, but the operators could care less about your car.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I'm going to ask a stupid question now...

When you are setting the toe using toe plates or David's method, how do you know your thrust angle is 0? I know you're supposed to measure from center line, but where, and how, do you determine the centerline? Any tips?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My DIY guide covers thrust angle as well. I use a laser level and some paper guides I made up. If you can get the the measurement within 3/8", you're within OEM tolerance.

**Assuming your car is right to begin with, just do one side at a time. ie, adjust right camber, set right toe. Adjust left camber, adjust left tow. This way, the thrust angle isn't affected.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by talon95
You're off by a factor of 2 Bill. That equation just gives you the front or rear difference, not both combined.

I was trying to describe the measurement at one wheel and may have made it obtuse without the benefit of a diagram to show what I meant.

Also, the tire shops typically use 12" for the "B" distance, but you can just use 24" for the total toe.

I wasn't sure what a tire shop would use but the B measurement in my description is based on the distance across the face of the wheel where a person is making the toe measurement. If it the measurement is being made on an 18 inch wheel across the center line of the wheel it will be close to 18 inches. If it is made on a line above the center line then it will be less.

So, for 1/4" total toe in (B=24):

angle = invsin (toe/B)

= invsin (.25/24)

= .6 degrees

Also, "toe in" is a positive angle, "toe out" is a negative angle.

I agree.

Dave G.
Bill
Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 PM
talon95
Pro

Bill, probably also didn't help that I was reading at 5:30am!

I use David F's method for setting thrust angle. Works perfectly and MUCH MUCH easier than using strings.

Ted, what I was suggesting is to have the alignment shop do the full alignment including thrust angle and then just change the toe equally on each side to maintain the correct thrust angle. This is the easiest way if all your interested is changing toe settings (like going back and forth between street/autox/track settings to save your tires on the street).

Get notified of new replies

To rear toe

Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 PM
talon95
Pro

Also, David F's method works fine for checking toe (I did similar things for a long time), but I will say that the toe plates are well worth the money. Just makes the process easier and more consistent.

Not trying to sell stuff for anybody, but the plates were one of those cheap purchases that you wonder why you didn't buy a long time ago.

Dave G.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm surprised it took so many postes to reach 9th grade math level.

** I'm not contradicting talon's math, I just use a slightly different diameter number***
Why, when it is simply the wrong number to use?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danswofford
C5Z road racing only. Kumho's, T1 sways, Coil overs with Bilsteins.
Solo drivers typically run more agressive toe-in, some as much as 1/2" total. So you may want to be doing 1/4" total. Any road racers know for sure?

Quick Reply: rear toe