Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie down points

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie down points

I'm towing my C5 Monday for the first time and I don't have time to get the t-hooks. I've got 4 stout web ratchets but I'm wondering where to attach them.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'm towing my C5 Monday for the first time and I don't have time to get the t-hooks. I've got 4 stout web ratchets but I'm wondering where to attach them.
Thru the spokes of the wheels--pad web straps .
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thru the wheels should work but make sure that each strap is tightened equally and check the straps after about 15 minutes of driving and again in another 15-30 minutes. Make sure you cross one set of straps ( usually the rear straps) in an "X" fashion.

If you can get 4 axle straps that are 36" long, that should be enough to have the D-rings come together so the stap hook can connect to them.

BTW, are you using 2" straps with a 10,000 lb rating? The working load is 1/3 of the rated capacity. That gives the straps a 3300lb working load limit.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 PM
danswofford
Pro

I've got four Home Depot 2" straps and I don't know what the rating is. Probably not enough. They are pretty stout however. When I get back from this trip I'll buy some good straps. I'm thinking 2 "tie back" straps that don't have ratchets and 2 ratchet straps, 3" wide I should think.

Seems like axle straps would work well through the wheels?
The question is, are the tee hooks into the frame the way to go or is going to the wheels better? I've always thought that the wheels are better because they are not sprung and you can really snug down on them. Whereas if you attach to the frame or anything else on the car you are winching down the springs when you tighen up.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Not sure what the HD straps are rated at but I think 5000lbs (1666 lbs WLL), That's not really strong enough but if it's a short tow, you might be OK.

From what I have read, the consensus is to tie the car down using the frame and not the wheels. I have some friends that use wheel nets for the front and use the frame at the rear. Neither one has had any problems even with towing long distances over mountains.

I would go with ratchet straps on all 4 corners just to make it easy to tie the car down. You won't always get the car in a perfect position on the trailer so having all ratchet straps will let you tie the car down where it sits and not have to move the car around as you tighten the straps.

Try these sources for straps:
http://www.snappinturtle.com/
http://heftystrap.com/
http://www.truckntow.com/c-147170-complete-units.aspx (a wide variety of straps on this site)

2" wide straps will be fine but make sure they are the 10,000 lb versions. Once you get into 3" and wider straps, they get very expensive. If you have tie-down rings on the trailer, get the snap-hook style. Use T-hooks on the car and that gives you a ring to attach the strap. These hooks will work: http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/fin...fm?itemid=8979
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The C5 has 4 main jacking points and at these points there are slots in the frame...which a hook on the end of a tow strap fits perfectly.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I started using the axle straps and then a friend that does a lot of towing said why not use the t-hooks. He showed me the t-hook setup and since then I have only been using t-hooks.

I find that the suspension seems to move more freely with the t-hooks, the car seems to be more secure to the trailer and, for me, it takes less effort to load and unload with the t-hooks.

Get notified of new replies

To Tie down points

Quick Reply: Tie down points