Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Z06 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Change Z06 brakes

I'm curious how many guys have changed the brakes on the C6Z06s. Not pads, I mean upgraded the whole system- calipers,rotors and lines fronts, rears or both. And what system did you go to. JD
Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 AM
jlvink66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced excessive front rotor heat and fast front pad wear running Carbotechs all around at HPDE's. The rear pads had minimal wear. The issue is not stopping power with the front brakes, it's about getting them cooled. Also, the thin pad thickness results in quick pad wear and too much heat being conducted to the calipers. BTW, the stock brakes are phenomenal on the street, in my mind it's only a hi-speed road course issue. Autocross should not be an issue as well.

I am in the process of installing a Stoptech St-60 big brake kit for the front wheels which includes 14" 2-piece rotors. I'll be running Hawk DTC-70 front pads and DTC-60 on the stock rear brakes. I am also installing the LG spindle ducts.

John
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jlvink66
I experienced excessive front rotor heat and fast front pad wear running Carbotechs all around at HPDE's. The rear pads had minimal wear. The issue is not stopping power with the front brakes, it's about getting them cooled. Also, the thin pad thickness results in quick pad wear and too much heat being conducted to the calipers. BTW, the stock brakes are phenomenal on the street, in my mind it's only a hi-speed road course issue. Autocross should not be an issue as well.

John
to a point. What also happens is the stock caliper has such little pad mass, that almost of the heat goes into the rotor. With a caliper that has thick pads, the thermal load is at least shared so that the rotors don't take all of the load. In addition, the caliper has to have some form of 2 piece pistons or some other form of thermal isolation to the brake fluid.
We use and sell a C6Z kit. The caliper we use is the superb Performance Friction (PFC) zR33 Grand Am spec caliper with 21mm thick pads. This caliper has 2 piece pistons for heat isolation for the fluid, and a bridge design that allows pad changes in 40 seconds! It is advertised as the stiffest 2 piece caliper of this size. It is a billet CNC caliper that is nickel plated. For rotors, we have our own 14 inch rotors that are the lightest available, a FULL 10 pounds lighter than the stock left side only stock rotors. They use billet CNC hats, AN (aircraft) hardware, custom Coleman rotors that are heat treated and balanced. You will not find a better system anywhere, and it is 100% made in USA.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

Adapter bracket:
Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice Gary,

I have heard about that system. Do you have in C5Z and what does it cost. PM me fatbillybob@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Happy New Year! We have a very cool system out soon, that will allow you to use this caliper with a modular adapter that allow 12.5, 13, 14, 15 inch rotors. This means you can run $25 NAPA rotors at Lime Rock, and big rotors for NHIS, Pocono etc. The only issue is wheel spoke clearance. This caliper is wide, you need about 2.5 inches from the rotor face to the inside of the wheel spokes.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Vette-CTM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Happy New Year! We have a very cool system out soon, that will allow you to use this caliper with a modular adapter that allow 12.5, 13, 14, 15 inch rotors. This means you can run $25 NAPA rotors at Lime Rock, and big rotors for NHIS, Pocono etc. The only issue is wheel spoke clearance. This caliper is wide, you need about 2.5 inches from the rotor face to the inside of the wheel spokes.
I think this is a very good idea for C5 that can run with optional larger rotors, but I wasn't too sure about the brake balance i.e. with the same caliper (bores) for variable rotor sizes?

I know Stoptech is good at balancing the brake by varying the piston sizes. In fact I just learned that their rear Z06 kit has 14" (oversized from OE's 13.4") so I wonder how they would size their rear caliper to balance the system.

Are you going to do the same and what are the piston size of C5 (front and rear) and would your caliper (bores) causing any balance issue for C5 or Z06?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Wow 15" great for Blingers too.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Wow 15" great for Blingers too.

Gary if you made the calipers available in Chrome you'd probably sell more to the waxers than the drivers

Get notified of new replies

To Change Z06 brakes

Quick Reply: Change Z06 brakes