Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on this helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thoughts on this helmet

Hey guys... Lookin at this helmet for my first HPDE... Whats your thoughts...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pyrot...73141004QQrdZ1
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Only problem with mail order helmets is the fit. Not every size X helmet will fit a size X head comfortably. Other than that, go for it!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Don't buy it. I saw a guy hit a tire wall at which time the rear view mirrow popped off and proceeded to directly impact his full face helmet. If he had an open face helmet, he would have been F$%^&*D. Don't skimp on safety equipment.

Random thoughts....

You going to THSCC or NASA ar VIR in Feb??? If so, give me a call. I'll be there instructing.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Only problem with mail order helmets is the fit. Not every size X helmet will fit a size X head comfortably. Other than that, go for it!

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
true.... will measure my grape and hope their fitment guide is accurate
Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Don't buy it. I saw a guy hit a tire wall at which time the rear view mirrow popped off and proceeded to directly impact his full face helmet. If he had an open face helmet, he would have been F$%^&*D. Don't skimp on safety equipment.

Random thoughts....

You going to THSCC or NASA ar VIR in Feb??? If so, give me a call. I'll be there instructing.
Open face helmets are for getting shot out of a cannon.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a decal on my chin guard of my full face helmet. why? so much crap flys in the drivers side window and has chipped the chin gaurd. Not to mention the flying drivers side mirror that hit my chin guard when I hit the tire wall in the rain.

Full face helmet with eye shield is best.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I would suggest full face - they do a better job protecting you and the new ones are light weight.

look at racerwholesale.com they have good prices on helmets...

Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

full face (with shield)...unless you just dont like your face
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I ran with an open face helmet until last year when I purchased a new Simpson Full Face helmet. There is a lot of small track debris (speedy dry, small stones, pieces of rubber) that can come through the window and get into your eyes if you have an open face helmet so I had to wear goggles if I wasn't wearing sun glasses. I find the full face allows me to partially close the face shield and keep my eyes clear of dirt and if I run into a large patch of blowing speedy dry (like last year) I can flip the visor down all the way to keep the dirt out. I like running with the face shield slightly open since I can breathe better.

You definitely need to buy your helmet at a shop where you can try several ones on. When I bought mine the dealer had 2 brands for sale (Simpson and Impact) and I found that I had to try on 4 different helmets before I found one that fit the best. I tried one that fit the top of my head but didn't fit around my face. Another went the other way.

One thing to note on helmet size. For several years now the lower priced helmets have stopped being available in specific sizes and are only available as small, medium and large. When I bought my last helmet in 97 I got it in the exact size now you can't get an exact size unless you pay more than $400.

Bill
Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would be a bit wary of a full face if you have an airbag. Just think about what could happen if the bag goes off and catches the chin guard. ouch. I use a full face but no ye shield but I dont have airbags either. Good luck

Al
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
I would be a bit wary of a full face if you have an airbag. Just think about what could happen if the bag goes off and catches the chin guard. ouch. I use a full face but no ye shield but I dont have airbags either. Good luck

Al
I don't know anyone that has taken an airbag to the face in a full face helmet but I don't see where it could be any worse than taking it full face without a helmet.

My daughter was hit in the face with an airbag. It scraped up her face and blew debris into her eyes and scratching them (no permanent damage). She was ver close to the steering wheel reaching for something in the floor so the impact was more on her face than if she was sitting up.

I would think the full face helmet would offer more protection to your face and eyes than an open face if the airbag did deploy.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Ok picture this. The airbag deploys and catches the bottom of the helmet(Chin guard area) and pushes it up at the rate of deployment. Physics tells me thats gonna hurt like hell and break something. just my $.02
I know a good few people we race with feel the same way and prefer an open face if the vehicle has a working airbag. Matter of fact i am kind of shocked nobody said this before I did.
Al
Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok picture this. The airbag deploys and catches the bottom of the helmet(Chin guard area) and pushes it up at the rate of deployment. Physics tells me thats gonna hurt like hell and break something. just my $.02
I know a good few people we race with feel the same way and prefer an open face if the vehicle has a working airbag. Matter of fact i am kind of shocked nobody said this before I did.
Al
There was an SCCA advisory that came out on this a few years ago, but was recinded due to incomplete science. Data was from F1 cars, airbags, hans devices, full harnesses and full faced helmets. Data didn't relate to us and in F1 they stoped experimenting with the airbags.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in a car where the air bag went off and I thought it was no big deal or big force and it was the older style,
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the difference if it catches your helmet or catches your chin? I'd rather be wearing a full face helmet any time.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this ended up being an urban legend? I'll dig around and see if I can find the papers that disproved the whole airbag vs full-face helmet... but I'm sure Google will beat me to it.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robvuk
What's the difference if it catches your helmet or catches your chin? I'd rather be wearing a full face helmet any time.

Get notified of new replies

To thoughts on this helmet

Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Al

FWIW, I had a head-on with a pit wall last year wearing a full-face and did not suffer any ill effects from the air bag deploying. I think the above scenario unlikely. If your're properly restained with a good harness the airbag doesn't really do much. Besides upon impact your head/helmet will move forward and down. I don't believe the bag is going to deploy under the chin guard. It didn't in my case.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Besides upon impact your head/helmet will move forward and down. I don't believe the bag is going to deploy under the chin guard. It didn't in my case.
I am not agreeing with any premise that an open face helmet is better than a closed face, etc., but I did want to add a comment about what happens to your head in a front impact.

I got a HANS device last year, before and after buying the HANS I studied their literature and videos. If you watch their videos, you will understand how Dale Earnhardt got his fatal brain stem injuries.

Upon high force impact your head certainly does move forward quite a bit, BUT it does not rotate down much at all. So as your torso is well restrained in a harness system, your head simply move horizontally along a level plane. When it move far enough you get separation from the brain stem, crushing of the C1 and C2 vertebrae and almost certain instant death. Only at the last stages of head movement do you get the downward rotation. At least that was my understanding and interpretation from watching the video.

Surprisingly, I could not find the video online anywhere, but I did find this good article.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/nascar-safety4.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I was in a car where the air bag went off and I thought it was no big deal or big force and it was the older style,
Well first hand is the best info. First gen bags weren't very kind either. I heard of the advisory but did not know of the retraction. I have not had any air bags blow up in my face and I hope to keep that way!
Al

Quick Reply: thoughts on this helmet