Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shakes at 65mph plus.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shakes at 65mph plus.

I need some help. My car shakes real bad at speeds above 65. At first I thought it may be the tires and since I had a set I wanted to put on the front I tried that. It is better than it was but still has a problem. The car is a 96 with 40k on it. The rotors where turned a couple of months ago. My guess is the steering rack,ball joints or wheel bearings. Is one more common than the other for that age and milage of a car? Also since it looks like I will be taking the front end apart and upgrades I should plan on while it is apart. The plan is it it is the ball points I would go ahad and lower the car at that time. I did use the car for 5 solo events last summer and have been told that it is hard on the bearings.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Could also be a bent wheel. When you replaced the tires did they do a normal balance or a road force measurement balance? A normal balance can easily miss a bent wheel.

You can make basic checks of the suspension by jacking one front wheel off the ground and checking for lateral slop (pull/push on wheel from 3/9 clock positions) and vertical (12/6 clock positions). If you find slop, then investigate further.

I'd eliminate the wheels first.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
I need some help. My car shakes real bad at speeds above 65. At first I thought it may be the tires and since I had a set I wanted to put on the front I tried that. It is better than it was but still has a problem. The car is a 96 with 40k on it. The rotors where turned a couple of months ago. My guess is the steering rack,ball joints or wheel bearings. Is one more common than the other for that age and milage of a car? Also since it looks like I will be taking the front end apart and upgrades I should plan on while it is apart. The plan is it it is the ball points I would go ahad and lower the car at that time. I did use the car for 5 solo events last summer and have been told that it is hard on the bearings.
What about the rear tires? An out of balance there can cause the car to shake, too.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Your shaking problem could be one of quite a few items.
1) wheel / tire out of balance F or R
2) wheel / tire out of round F or R - radial belt separation or flat spot
3) bad suspension part - tie rod end, worn ball joint
4) worn steering rack
5) drive shaft out of balance.
check each item out individually and you will probably find one of these is the problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'd almost bet it is tire/wheel related, even though you've checked them. Could be driveshaft as stated, as it spins with car speed (unlike C5/C6 which spins with engine speed), but unless you've hit something, it wouldn't unbalance itself.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I was leaning towards the tires at first however the back ones are new and I changed the front ones since at first I felt that was the problem. I am checking the u joints tonight and hope to have the tires rebalanced by a better shop. How much play should the steering rack have in movement?

Get notified of new replies

To car shakes at 65mph plus.

Quick Reply: car shakes at 65mph plus.