Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Need info with Clutch M/C quick connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default HELP!! Need info with Clutch M/C quick connect

I'm in the middle of replacing my clutch M/C and not sure how to disconnect the connection half way between the M/C and the Slave. It looks like a quick disconnect type but may require some kind of special tools???

If possible, I prefer using this connection insted of the one at the end of the M/C sence the system is already charged with oil from GM.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I use an OTC 7910. I Got it a t a Napa store.

Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 02:10 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by 3X2
I use an OTC 7910. I Got it a t a Napa store.

Mark
Thanks 3X2, as my luck would have it, the local Napa store didn't stock the tool but I was able to do a search on the net using the part number you gave me and found a photo of the tool. Being an ole "Tool and Die", fixture making, MacGiver type Machinest, I used an old 5/8" opened end wrench. With maybe 15 minuntes of grinding to fit....Bingo, an OTC 7910 tool that worked super.

Thanks again for the jump-start
Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I know you were trying to preserve fluid, but it is pretty easy to just push the pin out at the slave-cylinder. Fluid's cheap, and you're going to have to bleed everything anyway (I think....)
Old 01-06-2007, 05:04 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I know you were trying to preserve fluid, but it is pretty easy to just push the pin out at the slave-cylinder. Fluid's cheap, and you're going to have to bleed everything anyway (I think....)
Yea, I know. I paid for new parts, might as well us'um if I can. Just need to bleed the system and I should be good.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:01 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

OK, now I'm P!$$ED!!! Got it all back together, put the Motive pressure bleader on the top and my clear hose and bottle on the other end. Blead the snot out of the system and the clutch is still dragging

Here are the facts;
No visable leaks
New slave from GMPartsDirect
Bleader Ext. from LAPD
Paid to have installed by Pro. Shop
Clutch was in very good condition (low miles)

M/C from Fred Beans
Installed my me today (EZ job)

I find it very hard to believe I still have air in the system. I even pressed on the clutch peddle several times with the Motive doing its thing. The clutch feels normal, just not getting enough travel.

What's Up!!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Boob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U anywhere close to Austin? I could take a look at it.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:56 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Boob
U anywhere close to Austin? I could take a look at it.
Thanks, I'm in the DFW area, City of Keller. Have you seen this problem before? I have run across only one other person and he had Danny Pop to help him.

I'm in Salt Lake City right now. I'm going to play with it this weekend. If I can't fix it, I'm taking it to RPM.

I think it has an issue with air in the line. The first time I had this problem was at MSR and by the time I got it home on the trailer, it fixed its self....go figure! If the weather holds out for this weekend, I'll take it for a ride on the trailer, see what happens.

MK
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
mcintex
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Let me know if you need an extra hand or foot. I have no plans for this weekend (that I know of). (Except the LSCC meeting.)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by mcintex
Let me know if you need an extra hand or foot. I have no plans for this weekend (that I know of). (Except the LSCC meeting.)
Thanks Cliff, I hope to make the meeting also if the weather doesn't get to white!! AND providing I can catch my bird out of Salt Lake before the snow gets too deep tomorrow!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 AM
dazman
Instructor

Originally Posted by hisvett
Thanks, I'm in the DFW area, City of Keller. Have you seen this problem before? I have run across only one other person and he had Danny Pop to help him.

I'm in Salt Lake City right now. I'm going to play with it this weekend. If I can't fix it, I'm taking it to RPM.

I think it has an issue with air in the line. The first time I had this problem was at MSR and by the time I got it home on the trailer, it fixed its self....go figure! If the weather holds out for this weekend, I'll take it for a ride on the trailer, see what happens.

MK

i have bled my clutch for various reasons probably over 30 times in many different ls1's (camaros and vettes) and i have had your problem every single time. there is literally no answer except to just keep screwing with it... bleeding it over and over. one time i actually had the vette clutch working about half way and was taking it up to chevrolet dealer to fix and hell it just started working fine... why??? i have no idea.....

mike
Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Did you try reverse bleeding it?

Instead of pressure bleeding it by pushing you use suction and pump the pedal while under 10 inches or so of negative vacuum.

There is a post somewhere on how to do it but you need to keep the vacuum low or you'll pull the seals in the slave. Search under my name in the tech section and you should be able to find it, about 6 months ago.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
steve-d
Instructor

Originally Posted by hisvett
....Bleader Ext. from LAPD....
I looked at the LAPD extended bleeder hose.

http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/mer...e_Code=thelapd

It uses a crush washer rather than employing a hose end fitting creating a seal within the bore of the slave cylinder, similar to a brake caliper bleeder.

Crush washers are used on many hydraulic applications, automotive and aircraft. However, the surface of the fitting and the part must be machined for such a washer. The OE slave is not machined for such an application. I'd inspect the interface between the two to insure it isn't dripping. If so, it'll also suck air.

Steve

Last edited by steve-d; 01-14-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by dazman
i have bled my clutch for various reasons probably over 30 times in many different ls1's (camaros and vettes) and i have had your problem every single time. there is literally no answer except to just keep screwing with it... bleeding it over and over. one time i actually had the vette clutch working about half way and was taking it up to chevrolet dealer to fix and hell it just started working fine... why??? i have no idea.....

mike
Thanks Mike, I was starting to feel like I was out in left field all by myself! I have always had the feeling that air gets trapped in the system and sometimes will work its way out on its own. The very first time I had this problem, this was the case. By the time I got the car home on the trailer from the track, the problem had gone away.

Thanks "NO ONE" and "STEVE-D" for the suggestions, I do have a vacuum punp but haven't had time to try it yet.

And so far, I have not seen any sign of a leak but will check it again after I get back in town later this week.

I finally feel like I'm on the right path now!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Need info with Clutch M/C quick connect

Quick Reply: HELP!! Need info with Clutch M/C quick connect