Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

710 tire temps

Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 710 tire temps

What temp range should Kumho 710's be in?

I was at Laguna Seca Jan. 2 and I was seeing around 165 fronts and 155 rears. That seems low to me. I think I read on the Tire Rack website that they could be used to the low 220 degree range. I suspect that my low temps means I don't have much slip angle. Although I suppose in the summer those temps would be much higher at the same driving level?

I was driving in competition mode and when the tires were cold I'd feel the traction control kicking in a few times per lap. Once the tires got warm and stuck better I never felt the traction control.

I'm working up to speed and trying to get to know where the limits are and how fast I can go and what the car feels like towards the limit. Any comments?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Er, I think in Comp Mode you'll find that Traction Control is disabled, but Active Handling is still enabled -- just at a slightly higher threshold than normal. So what you were feeling was probably AH coming in trying to keep you from sliding the rear out...

I've played with Comp Mode a little and it's kind of fun to keep your foot in it and just keep steering, but it just doesn't feel like I'm really driving the car somehow.

I can't answer your V710 question, but I can say that higher ambient and track temperatures will definitely put more heat into the tires.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Your best bet is to call Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley. He's the tire guy that shows up at all the N.Calif. tracks. He spent about an hour and a half bs-ing about tires with us at Laguna. They also do Corvette high preformance alignments at the shop.
510-582-5031
Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

The tires work just fine in that temp range...all the way up to 220. My temps at Sebring were in the 130-170 range. A lot also depends on what type of gauge you're using. If it's a laser gun which just measures the surface, it's going to be higher. If it's the probe type (like mine) the temps will be a lower like the range I mentioned.

These tires have a huge pressure and temperature 'performance window.' Just keep the hot pressures below 40 and you'll be just fine. Try to get an even distro of temps across the contact patch. Look for something like 160|155|150 inside to out and they will grip like mad and last forever.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
The tires work just fine in that temp range...all the way up to 220. My temps at Sebring were in the 130-170 range. A lot also depends on what type of gauge you're using. If it's a laser gun which just measures the surface, it's going to be higher. If it's the probe type (like mine) the temps will be a lower like the range I mentioned.

These tires have a huge pressure and temperature 'performance window.' Just keep the hot pressures below 40 and you'll be just fine. Try to get an even distro of temps across the contact patch. Look for something like 160|155|150 inside to out and they will grip like mad and last forever.

Enjoy!!!!
Good to get your feedback. I'm using a probe and the temps are just about what you describe. I'm going out cold at 26* and coming in hot at 34*. So it seems like I'm in the right direction. The long life has really amazed me. Thanks for the feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To 710 tire temps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 710 tire temps