Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which C5 harness bar to use??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 AM
96redvettelt4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which C5 harness bar to use??

Did a search on harness bars and found several are available for the Z06- BK, AS&M, Shark Bar, R&D etc... Which one is best for light use considering price effectivness, looks, install, and performance? I've heard some will not allow the seat to go fully back- is this true and which ones. Thanks Chad
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have the BK bar with the mounting brackets for the lap and sub belts. It is a nice setup for 6 point harness and I did a full writeup on how to install everything if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
96redvettelt4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I have the BK bar with the mounting brackets for the lap and sub belts. It is a nice setup for 6 point harness and I did a full writeup on how to install everything if you decide to go that way.
What the pros and cons of the BK over the other systems? Where is cheapest place to purchase all equipment needed? Thanks Chad
Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 96redvettelt4
What the pros and cons of the BK over the other systems? Where is cheapest place to purchase all equipment needed? Thanks Chad

well the BK was designed specifically for the C5 so all the parts fit exactly (they also make bars for other cars). I believe that the BK sub brackets are the only ones on the market that will allow you to install a 6-point harness without drilling. Also by design the harnesses are at the proper angle for a C5.

I do know there are other brands that are good too. I just decided that I would go with a full BK install.

For prices I searched around the internet and found a place where the bar was cheaper and a different place where the sub-brackets and fire extinguisher was cheaper.

I would also look in the sale section because people sell them when they go to a roll cage setup.

Here is my write up on the install

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/showthread.php?t=124
Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The Hardbar is by far lightest (7-8 pounds) and stiffest and has been crash tested in real world conditions over 100 MPH many times. In addition the lap belt bar puts the lap and sub belts at the correct positions and angles (no drilling or mods are required). It is used by SCCA National Champ Danny Popp so it passes tech. Lastly it is the least expensive at $325 and requires no mods to the car (C4, C5). Also, if you later decide to go with a racing seat ours is compatible with our seat rails (other brands with struts are not compatible). All of our products are custom designed for each application, so the fit and finish are perfect.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

Last edited by ghoffman; 01-07-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM
96redvettelt4
Drifting

Do these bars not allow full use of the seats?

Nice write up Wicked Weasel.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the BK in my '03 Z, but if I was doing it again, I'd seriously consider the Hardbar unit. Lighter, very sturdy, a little less expensive. And Gary is a very good guy to deal with and stands behind his products.

Something to consider though is whether you will change the seats. The Z06 seats are not designed to work with shoulder harnesses, even with an H piece or chest strap. The shoulders will slide down on you. You really need seats with the holes in the back to position the shoulder straps properly. I believe East Coast Corvettes is selling a set of seat covers that allow you to modify the seats to be like the earlier sport seats. But IMHO, the best is to change to a racing seat. I put in the Carravaggio seats and love them. There are a bunch of threads on racing seats, so check them out.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
96redvettelt4
Drifting

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I have the BK in my '03 Z, but if I was doing it again, I'd seriously consider the Hardbar unit. Lighter, very sturdy, a little less expensive. And Gary is a very good guy to deal with and stands behind his products.

Something to consider though is whether you will change the seats. The Z06 seats are not designed to work with shoulder harnesses, even with an H piece or chest strap. The shoulders will slide down on you. You really need seats with the holes in the back to position the shoulder straps properly. I believe East Coast Corvettes is selling a set of seat covers that allow you to modify the seats to be like the earlier sport seats. But IMHO, the best is to change to a racing seat. I put in the Carravaggio seats and love them. There are a bunch of threads on racing seats, so check them out.

Thanks, I have the Carravaggio also. Do eith of these not allow the seats to go fully back? Chad
Old 01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nothing wrong with using the "Hardbar", they are very good. I prefer the BK situp because of the mass. I think it adds some stiffness to the car. I look at this in real time, an extra pound or two is not going to make any difference when I'm running DE's or Auto-X. It's by accedent that I run more that two laps on a 3.4 mile road course within 10's of each other, so why should I worry about a few extra pounds. When I start flurting with the track record maybe I'll will start looking at saving some wieght.

I would also suggest the BK clip-in mounts for the 5pt lap belts. They are a bit $$ but well worth the money for ease of clipping the belts in and out.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
stairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Hardbar, the best fit and finish on the market, very light weight, and installs in only minutes. It also allows you to keep the stock seat belts.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Idavette98
Racer

Originally Posted by stairman
Go with the Hardbar, the best fit and finish on the market, very light weight, and installs in only minutes. It also allows you to keep the stock seat belts.

Custom fit, black powder coating finish, looks as good as it functions. No extra downward support tubes to get in the way.

-Bob
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I have the BK. I have no clearance issues with the shoulder harness system nor seat rails. I am not sure I understand the discrepancies with clearance issues?? Non here. I would expect Hardbar to be of top quality fit and finish also considering the folks there use their setups and engineer their products with attention to detail and feedback from users.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I have the BK Bar. Worked great with the stock seats. The issues I've had with it are the BK lap belt mount put the harness to close for us skinny guys to really use but that's easy to fix. Also when you go to an aftermarket seat, you sometimes have to get a little creative to make it work. I'm probably going to replace it with a Hardbar soon.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redvettelt4
Thanks, I have the Carravaggio also. Do eith of these not allow the seats to go fully back? Chad
I have my seats mounted on the original rails from the Z06 seats, and I have no problem getting the driver's seat all the way back with the BK harness bar. I'm 6'2", long legs, and have plenty of room. I can't speak for the Hardbar, but I suspect it is similar.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Furthermore, it has no struts like the BK bar and will allow a real racing seat mount (ie Hardbar's) if needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Which C5 harness bar to use??

Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM
96redvettelt4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I have the BK Bar. Worked great with the stock seats. The issues I've had with it are the BK lap belt mount put the harness to close for us skinny guys to really use but that's easy to fix. Also when you go to an aftermarket seat, you sometimes have to get a little creative to make it work. I'm probably going to replace it with a Hardbar soon.
So how much are you wanting for your BK setup? Chad
Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Furthermore, it has no struts like the BK bar and will allow a real racing seat mount (ie Hardbar's) if needed.
I'm running a Cobra racing seat with no issues using the BK. Struts fit so close to the body, they do not interfere with mounting another type of seat. Both bars will retain the use of stock belts and mount in a few minutes with no mods (unlike the C6). The BK will add a bit more stiffness (and wieght) to the car over the Hardbar.

I is only natural to think whatever widget you’re using is the best. Bottom line, they both are very good bars and for what 99.9% of us that are using them, either one would do the job just fine.

Your choice...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

[QUOTE=hisvett;1558432475]The BK will add a bit more stiffness (and wieght) to the car over the Hardbar.
QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree about the stiffness but totally agree about the weight. The Hardbar is considerably stiffer than the others. With a C4, you can feel the car's increased torsional stiffness immediately. The C5's and C6's are so much stiffer that is is not as noticeable. Whenever you have an offset, the stiffness goes down exponentially as opposed to a straight line in tension/compression. You could have a 12 inch I-beam in there but the sheet metal ends will be the predominant boundary conditions.

Quick Reply: Which C5 harness bar to use??