Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another New PIR Track Record - NASA-TTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another New PIR Track Record - NASA-TTR

The saga continues... As reported previously, Ralph Masterson had dropped the previous TTR track record by an incredible 1.4 seconds (from 1:07.1 down to 1:05.7) which seemed to be insurmountable... Not to be... Yesterday (January 7), Pete Creek, driving Shirl Dickey's Black Mamba Corvette bolted on a new set of Yokohoma slicks and proceeded to shred Ralph's record dropping the new mark down to 1:04.762... This 'time' would have qualified Pete in 2nd place in the SU race class behind the awesome "Tommy Bahama" TransAm Corvette driven by Bud Thurston. Congratulations Pete!!!!!
The aggressive attacks on this record by the Arizona Corvette Racers over the last 4 months have dropped this record by over 4 seconds.
The message seems to be, if you come to Arizona, bring your 'A' game...
Shirl

Last edited by MrEracer; 01-08-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

FYI, This car is running front brakes on the rear...
Shirl
Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't your pedal low and soft
Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrEracer
FYI, This car is running front brakes on the rear...
Shirl
and the motor is? and the pads are? I guess that will tell you what pad to run then. What is a TTR car comprised of?

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-17-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Isn't your pedal low and soft
Lou G had a soft pedal I guess it like suspension rough to some is not to others.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Lou G had a soft pedal I guess it like suspension rough to some is not to others.
I guess that ultimately makes it so then ........Where did you buy your brakes from ?????? When I have several K to upgrade my braking system, I may consider such thing, but in the mean time I guess I will just continue to haul-*** with my soft, low brake pedal .

Hows your suspension ride ????
Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Is this PIR (phoenix)? I can't remember what we ran back in the World Challenge car way back then. Just trying to get an idea on what these cars are. Bill Auberlin did a 1:01.639 in a BMW back in 2004. And a Corvette in the same race did a 1:02.xx

Then in 2005 a Pontiac GTO with the stock LS1 engine ran a 1:02.506. so that puts it in perspective.

Then in 2006, on Hoosiers Leighton Reese in a stock LS1 engined Corvette did a 1:01.224 which was essentially a stock chassis with stock engine built to Grand Am rules. The Grand Am cars are slower than a World Challenge car in most cases. The GA cars have better tires, but the WC cars have better power.

One more Grand Am record that I just found 58.612 by Tommy Riggins (my Daytona team mate) in 2003. Now that is fast.

What was the car that did the time of 1:04.7 ?

LG

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 01-17-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I guess that ultimately makes it so then ........Where did you buy your brakes from ?????? When I have several K to upgrade my braking system, I may consider such thing, but in the mean time I guess I will just continue to haul-*** with my soft, low brake pedal .

Hows your suspension ride ????
My suspension with 1200 / 900 springs is great I could go to CA. Others would not like the ride.

Yep if Lou said it I'll take it to the bank! No bad information yet. I did hear the same report from others who tried it also.

The calipers save me money by getting cheaper pads than stock shaped and the last near 3X as long. They feel better also at the end of a session than stock ones or when approaching the so called soft wall.

I play with one track car others have mulitple cars. Guess it depends how you want to spend it. I used stock calipers for a few years before I got the Wilwoods figuring I could stop. There is a big difference as you know in better calipers you have a ton more experience than I do. I can swap the pads in a jiff, the calipers don't spread like a clam. I can buy a bunch of heat shields and spacers for them cheap. I love them. If I knew what I know now I would have done brakes befroe engine work.

Do the classes your compete in have limits on brake equipment?

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-17-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

LG,
Thanks for pointing out all those drivers that are faster than we are... All big names and very well prepared cars. I'm just happy to be within shouting distance of such impressive drivers...
My car is your basic budget hot rod. Salvage title C5 with weight reduction and a big engine. Here is a brief summary:
3140# FRC with me in the car.
433 cid L92 stroker engine (550 rwhp est.)
LG pro long tube headers.
T1 bars, T1 front spring and Bilstien shocks.
Racing slicks on 12x18 ccw wheels.
Home fabricated rear wing.
C5 front brakes on all 4 corners. (currently, Carbotech XP8 front, stock pads rear, NAPA rotors).

We are time trial/DE drivers at this time. I hate to admit it, but I do not even have a roll cage in the car. We are not at a level that would mandate that we go into a racing division. Maybe some day when I have the ability to fund it.
Thanks for your interest and comments, we are cheering for you in WC...
Shirl Dickey
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LG,
Thanks for pointing out all those drivers that are faster than we are... All big names and very well prepared cars. I'm just happy to be within shouting distance of such impressive drivers...
My car is your basic budget hot rod. Salvage title C5 with weight reduction and a big engine. Here is a brief summary:
3140# FRC with me in the car.
433 cid L92 stroker engine (550 rwhp est.)
LG pro long tube headers.
T1 bars, T1 front spring and Bilstien shocks.
Racing slicks on 12x18 ccw wheels.
Home fabricated rear wing.
C5 front brakes on all 4 corners. (currently, Carbotech XP8 front, stock pads rear, NAPA rotors).

We are time trial/DE drivers at this time. I hate to admit it, but I do not even have a roll cage in the car. We are not at a level that would mandate that we go into a racing division. Maybe some day when I have the ability to fund it.
Thanks for your interest and comments, we are cheering for you in WC...
Shirl Dickey
You guys crack me up! I remember your bunch...great enthusiasm...bring your "A" game to Spring Mtn this month...the competition will be more to your liking. The track however, is just a tad bit longer than your infamous PIR!

Ed
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi guys,

You are taking my post wrong. I did not know what class your car was nor did I know your specs. I was actually guilty of not keeping up with your class or car specs.

There was no offense intended.

Now seeing what you have in your car, I am very impressed. That is a great time with the mods that you have.

And you are correct the cars I noted were truly fully prepared race cars and yours is not, so I would take pride in the accomplishment but please don't take offense.

I just saw, "TRACK RECORD" and I started to investigate.

nothing really matters when times are posted unless they are apples to apples. And when I checked out your Profile, there were no car specs posted, so I didn't have any baseline to compare to. And it doesn't tell your age so I don't know if you are just starting or just finishing your racing addiction.

If you had your car specs in your profile, My post would have been a congratulatory post because of the time you did with the mods that you are showing.

So having said all that, good job. Anyone who is racing or going to the Road Race track is doing something that most guys with our Corvettes won't even do.

So my hat off to all of the track racers here.

And if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. Road racing is the last clean fun left in America and with no government involvement yet.

Later,

Lou Gigliotti
Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Lou,
Believe me, I was not offended. I was honored that you would respond to my post. Thanks for your complements and your contributions to the world of Corvette racing. I do not use my age as an excuse, but I'm 65 and still going strong. I built the car and the engine and when I need to, I get one of the younger 'hot shoe drivers' to do the record attempts. I'm about a half a second behind them and working on getting better.

Americanmusl,
Not sure if we can make it to Spring Mountan in January, but we are planning to be there in April and we will definately bring the 'A' game... Come on over to AZ and try our 'wimpy' tracks...
Shirl
Old 01-18-2007, 02:36 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lou,
Believe me, I was not offended. I was honored that you would respond to my post. Thanks for your complements and your contributions to the world of Corvette racing. I do not use my age as an excuse, but I'm 65 and still going strong. I built the car and the engine and when I need to, I get one of the younger 'hot shoe drivers' to do the record attempts. I'm about a half a second behind them and working on getting better.

Americanmusl,
Not sure if we can make it to Spring Mountan in January, but we are planning to be there in April and we will definately bring the 'A' game... Come on over to AZ and try our 'wimpy' tracks...
Shirl
Looking forward to it!!!

See ya then---Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Another New PIR Track Record - NASA-TTR

Quick Reply: Another New PIR Track Record - NASA-TTR