Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get ride of understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default How to get ride of understeer?

This has been a pretty bid problem with my C5 since I put a new front sway bar on. The car pushes extremly hard. I do not mind a little understeer, but feel that I scrub way to much speed sliding across the track.

I undertand how to correct it while moving, by opening the wheel and less loud pedal, but want to correct the problem from happening is the goal...

The only suspension mod I has is the Addcco 32mm front sway bar. I have a Z06 rear sway bar or a Z51 to play with. I plan on putting one of these on to mess around with, but want some help as I feel that the rear sway bar may cause more push (just a thought though.)

Thanks!

Adam Boca
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Adam,

This sounds simplistic and you can disregard at any time, but what's the condition of your front tires? I ran 275/315 V700 Victoracers this past year, and when they go off, it's pretty dramatic.

Also, depending on the size tire you're running, you could go up a bit on width. I'm now running 275/305 RA-1s on wagon wheels with good wear and balance (slight understeer on corner exit, and better turn-in than I had with the 315s).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Without making any complimentary changes, increasing the
front sway bar stiffness moves handling tendencies toward
understeer.

Your bigger front sway bar has made your car understeer more.

Options
1) switch to larger rear bar to help balance increased front bar.
2) switch back to OEM front bar
2a) switch back to OEM front bar and add larger rear bar for even
. less understeer/more oversteer.
3) increase rear spring rate.

and so on.

I agree that tires, shocks and other stuff contribute to balance
but here my vote is that the culprit is obviously the bigger front
bar.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

relatively speaking, you need to take some grip out of the rear. As above, if you can, stiffen the rear. You can modify the stiffness of your rear bar SLIGHTLY by adjusting the heim joints. In other words, when the joint is at a 90 deg angle to the bar, it is softest. If you can adjust it all the way in/out to make that angle tighter, it will effectively stiffen the bar.

The other option is to take come camber out of the rear. Will cause the car to rotate more in the corner, and may also help get more grip accelerating out.

I personally think GM does a good job matching their bars, so I would stick to a package: ie, T1 front-T1 rear, Z51front-Z51rear, etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://fbodyeurope.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5568

If you have to ask "what is understeer / oversteer?", it’s quite simple: if you approach a fast bend in the road, turn the wheel, but the car just plough straight on into a ditch, then you suffer from understeer. If you leave the same bend spinning backwards into the ditch, then you suffer from oversteer. Of course oversteer can easily be provoked when there is an idiot at the wheel, so don’t always blame the car.

For those of you who understand your car’s dynamics well enough not to make the typical beginner’s mistakes that will upset the handling, here is a list of changes that will guide you to tune your suspension to a neutral-steer for superior high-performance handling.

DECREASE UNDERSTEER..... CORRECTION.....DECREASE OVERSTEER

higher pressure........................tire pressure - front......................lower pressure

larger contact area....................tire section - front...............smaller contact area

more negative.........................wheel camber - front.......................more positive

softer.................................. ..........springs - front................................... ......stiffer

thinner (softer).............................swa y bar - front.........................thicker (stiffer)

larger.................................. .........spoiler - front................................... ....smaller

lower pressure.........................tire pressure - rear.....................higher pressure

smaller contact area.................tire section - rear..................larger contact area

more positive.........................wheel camber - rear......................more negative

stiffer................................. ...........springs - rear.................................... .....softer

thicker (stiffer).............................sw ay bar - rear.........................thinner (softer)

smaller................................. .........spoiler - rear.................................... ....larger

weight bias rearward................weight distribution..............weight bias forward

A few words of warning: if you are unsure about what you are doing, rather get help from an experienced person. Make your changes in small increments and first test the result in an open area where you can do little harm (like at one of our slaloms). Rather tune towards neutral-understeer, since an oversteering car is quite a dangerous beast that needs a fast hand to catch it. Have fun.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Adam:

Another set of questions to help you reach a satisfactory solution - break down the corner into three elements - corner entry - midcorner - corner exit.

Is the car reluctant to turn and then it just carries that through midcorner? Or does the car turn in well, and then push as you reach steady state?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lancer033, I've seen that info in that format somewhere else before.
It may have been a driving sim site.

In 2005 there was a post about an online setup guide. This turned
out to actually be a reference for a driving sim, too.

Online Chassis Setup Guide

BUT, have a look at the detailed discussion before dismissing the
possibility that there is chassis knowledge available from a computer
game site.

The "ULTIMATE"
Racing Car Chassis Setup Guide and Tutorial.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
Adam:

Another set of questions to help you reach a satisfactory solution - break down the corner into three elements - corner entry - midcorner - corner exit.

Is the car reluctant to turn and then it just carries that through midcorner? Or does the car turn in well, and then push as you reach steady state?

I agree, this is a really good question to ask yourself. Z06s really respond well on turn-in to a little bit of trail-braking. A little extra trail braking right into mid-turn is great for getting a little bit of car rotation and then you can start applying power to really drive hard out of the corner early.

Driving technique and the condition of the tires has a profound impact on the handling characteristics of the car I have found.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To improve mechanical grip at the front :

Increase front toe out at the track - up to 1/4"

Increase front camber

Lower the front of the car 1/8"-1/4"- more rake and lower CG will help, especially on turn in.

Also use the biggest rear bar you have, and consider a wider front tire.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

315s front, 335s rear 27#F-25#R, Slow in Fast out

Get notified of new replies

To How to get ride of understeer?

Quick Reply: How to get ride of understeer?