Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone know about paint?

Ok, so i was pealing off some vynil and i ended up pealing off a large chunk (probably 2"x5") of paint. i want to repair this as cheaply as possible, so this (to me) means a couple of rattle cans and tape. here is a method i completely made up just now:

1. clean area
2. sand area
3. clean area
4. tape large box surrounding area (cover parts i dont want to paint)
5. primer (is this necessary? since there is primer/paint on parts)
6. paint
7. remove box
8. clearcoat

if anyone knows of a good diy website please link me.

ive been reading and it seems that if i do a small patch job instead of painting the entire panel, i will end up with a clearcoat line. Can i just clearcoat the desired area and then wetsand/rubbing compound the line?

it doesnt have to be overly pretty. its a racecar.

thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Wally,

It took me a whole weekend to de-decal my car. I finally got everything off and used laquer thinner to get the residue off. Without the heatgun, I could never have peeled them all off.

Your paint "system" sounds good to me. If you removed the tape before you clear coated the area, that would reduce the chance for lines in the clearcoat. Just be careful and keep the overspay to a minimum.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

yeah, i used a heat gun (10 bucks at harbor freight ). however, i think there was a bubble in the paint, and it just let go.

i found a couple sites that sell paint code rattle cans, so this should be interesting to say the least.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
yeah, i used a heat gun (10 bucks at harbor freight ). however, i think there was a bubble in the paint, and it just let go.

i found a couple sites that sell paint code rattle cans, so this should be interesting to say the least.
I took mine in yesterday to get it painted. Should be finished next week. Mostly just respray and let it dry.

What is the paint code rattle can sites? I know I'll need touchup paint somewhere along the line.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

autobody supply by me will make what ever paint code you want and put it in a spray can. Then you clear coat over it with another can. Prep is the trick.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
I took mine in yesterday to get it painted. Should be finished next week. Mostly just respray and let it dry.

What is the paint code rattle can sites? I know I'll need touchup paint somewhere along the line.
http://www.paintworldinc.com/
or
http://www.paintscratch.com/

they have this thing called clear coat blender. they say if you do your clearcoat, then spray the edges with this stuff, it will get rid of any ridge and blend it seamlessly. sounds good enough for me.

i mean, i cant really screw it up any worse than it already is.

i cant wait to see how yours turns out.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

For a correct repair - just take it to the local body shop, couldn't cost more than $100 or so, then when you remove decals next year, the fue fue can paint won't be peeling off!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If its metalic paint it wiil never blend perfectly but if its a track car who gives a f***.. I have a track car and don't worry about it. Also have a waxer and about tired of all of that shine crap...my '77 project I believe is going to be satin black..
Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JVetthead
If its metalic paint it wiil never blend perfectly but if its a track car who gives a f***.. I have a track car and don't worry about it. Also have a waxer and about tired of all of that shine crap...my '77 project I believe is going to be satin black..
its not metallic. its normal black vette paint. i ordered 50 bucks worth of paint/primer/clearcoat/magicblender/etc. lets see how it ends up.

i just want to do the best job i can. no sense in doing a crap job if i can do better for the same price.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

its not metallic. its normal black vette paint. i ordered 50 bucks worth of paint/primer/clearcoat/magicblender/etc. lets see how it ends up.

i just want to do the best job i can. no sense in doing a crap job if i can do better for the same price.
Good luck! next to metallic black is a real bitch.. If you spot the clear in it will come back to haunt you! Clearthe whole panel it last longer..
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Good luck! next to metallic black is a real bitch.. If you spot the clear in it will come back to haunt you! Clearthe whole panel it last longer..
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

This is more complex than you think...do some homework before you end up spending money and time on something that will cost you more to fix.

Plastic needs speacial plastic sealer before applying prime, basecoat, and clear coat. Also the type and grade of sand paper will determine much about how the paint bonds and how you finish will turn out.

one advantage you have is that it's black and you won't have to worry too much about matching colors.

Do you know anyone with a real spray gun and compressor? Low volume spray gun if possible.

I'm all for DIY but you can make things worse. Just research your repair before jumping in.

You have to make sure the surface is clean and prepped for painting also. Use the wrong cleaner and you will end up with fish eye and other chemical reactions.

I'm not a painter but speak from experience.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Falcon;1558460889]I took mine in yesterday to get it painted. Should be finished next week.

I hope you are keeping the flames

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know about paint?

Quick Reply: Anyone know about paint?