Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 and high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 and high mileage?

what should I be concerned about in a high mileage ls1? Many of the c5's I am looking to buy for track use have 85-120k miles...what needs to be replaced? any down sides to tracking a car with this type of mileage? Is the motor just going to let up on me after a few events? any info would help!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 AM
stairman
Racer

I bought a 97 with 175,000 miles on this year, put some suspension under it and have been beating it to death, it just does not want to die. It does have some blow buy, but nothing a vented catch can did not take care of. It does not have the most power out there, but it is still fun.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

My fun is mainly autocross with a DE or 2 each year, but I'm about ready to click over 150K miles, no oil consumption to speak of. I do run an oil cooler, and I'm getting ready to swap out the valve springs as PM.

IMO, if you keep the engine temps under control and don't mod the engine, it'll go quite a while.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
My fun is mainly autocross with a DE or 2 each year, but I'm about ready to click over 150K miles, no oil consumption to speak of. I do run an oil cooler, and I'm getting ready to swap out the valve springs as PM.

IMO, if you keep the engine temps under control and don't mod the engine, it'll go quite a while.

Mike
Mike,

How hot is "under control"? I don't have an oil cooler on my Z06 and would like a guideline for when to pit the car in order to limit possibility of extreme engine wear. My Z is stock except for headers (not coated)--do you have a road race pan on there too?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

In my pre-oil cooler days, I'd keep the oil temps up on the DIC, and when they got to 275-280 I'd back off for a lap or two (mainly by going up a gear) until they dropped down into the 250 range, then I'd be back at it again.

With my oil cooler now my temps stabilize in the 250-260 range for a 20 minute run in Texas summer.

I don't run any kind of race pan. I *do* run a quart overfilled when I'm on the track.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
In my pre-oil cooler days, I'd keep the oil temps up on the DIC, and when they got to 275-280 I'd back off for a lap or two (mainly by going up a gear) until they dropped down into the 250 range, then I'd be back at it again.

With my oil cooler now my temps stabilize in the 250-260 range for a 20 minute run in Texas summer.

I don't run any kind of race pan. I *do* run a quart overfilled when I'm on the track.

Mike
How many events has that formula worked for you? I purposely have avoided events in summer to keep the temps down instead of doing a cooler on my C4. I never got to 250 on oil. Yet, the bearings showed some wear. I didn't run 1 qt over in the beginning--hoping that was it and that LS6 has a better lub design then the LT1.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Can't speak to a C4's temperament, but I run my oil life monitor down to 0% between oil changes (M1 10w-30) and get my oil analyzed by Blackstone labs. My wear metals are in good shape, with aluminum trending slightly higher than nominal on the last sample.

Running 1 qt. over is a good practice in most engines due to the oil staying up inside the engine during high speed sweepers and the subsequent low oil level in the pan. Unporting the oil pump pickup is always a bad thing.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
what should I be concerned about in a high mileage ls1? Many of the c5's I am looking to buy for track use have 85-120k miles...what needs to be replaced? any down sides to tracking a car with this type of mileage? Is the motor just going to let up on me after a few events? any info would help!
I have 127,000 on my LS1 99 and it runs like a champ. I think you are more likely to have trans problems then engine problems with high miles.

jeff
Old 01-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

good info...thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To ls1 and high mileage?

Quick Reply: ls1 and high mileage?