Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 wheels on 86 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Phatoscar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 wheels on 86 vette?

Well I just bought some 07 stock vette wheels five spokes. I wanted to know if adapters will be safe for racing? Drag or maybe X cross? Will there be like shakes or wobles at high speeds? How fast is a safe top speed with the adapters?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I think you'd be fine for street use, but I wouldn't suggest them for track use.

Normal spacers likely won't work, as the studs aren't very long. I recommend hub-centric spacers like these

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5475-5475.htm

Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Phatoscar
Racer

Need help! please input!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with David - I would NEVER use adaptors for any type of racing application. The loads imposed on the studs, bearings, etc. are magnified greatly by speed and high G forces. The biggest question that comes to mind is space to fit that large a wheel / tire combo in the existing wheel wells of your car. If you are going to try on the C4 shown in the sig, you will need some modification. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hub Centric adaptors like shown above are fine to use for whatever you want. Porsche and ferrari all use identical spacers for their cars including the 930 Turbo. I have em' on my 911 and woundn't hesitate to put them on Corvette. I have little 1/4" plain flat spacers on rear of my C6 and I have raced that car every kind race you can think of, not with slicks just Mic.PS's.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Like I said, I don't really have a problem with generic spacers if you have racing studs. However, the OEM studs are barely long enough to properly seat OEM wheels. Put a spacer in, and you're likely only going to get half the threads attached.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Phatoscar
Racer

Well I think I might just use some adapters like the ones showed above and Ill put new stock studs. Im pretty sure that new stud will hold up better than the stock 21 year ones!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I agree with David - I would NEVER use adaptors for any type of racing application. The loads imposed on the studs, bearings, etc. are magnified greatly by speed and high G forces. The biggest question that comes to mind is space to fit that large a wheel / tire combo in the existing wheel wells of your car. If you are going to try on the C4 shown in the sig, you will need some modification. Good luck.
I use 11"x17" AFS wheels front and rear on my '85 C4 and after first reading your post I agreed with what you said but I have to wonder if the stress on the studs or bearings is any different with or without the spacers. It would seem to me that the stress on the hubs and spacer studs would be the same regardless, the only difference is that there is more hardware involved and more parts that could fail. That would be the reason why I would avoid the spacers.

The above response got me thinking about something though, since I just spent almost $1000 on 4 new AC Delco hubs for my car today. I had just replaced these probably less than 400 track miles ago. As a result of my searches on this forum, I found that this is normal because of the hub design. What I realized is that the early C4's are probably a lot harder on hubs because the wheels have to carry or "leverage" more of the load. According to what I have read GM changed the wheel offset in 1988 to improve the "scrub radius", a term which I have never been able to find a definition for. Anyhow, I probably wouldn't be afraid to run an 8.5" wide wheel in front and 10" wheel in the back with a spacer. I know a guy who has been running 10.5" Z06 rear wheels front and rear on a '94 C4 with slicks and spacers without problems. The C6 wheels and tires should definitely fit without rubbing, I have 315/35/17's and they don't rub at all.

Last edited by vetracer; 01-13-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Phatoscar
Racer

Thanks! This is just what I needed to hear

Get notified of new replies

To C6 wheels on 86 vette?

Quick Reply: C6 wheels on 86 vette?