Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring mountain school

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default spring mountain school

anybody do the Spring mountain 3 day school?
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

I'm considering the 3 day school, but I have over 50 track days experiece with various clubs, PDA, EMRA, BMW, Porsche, etc

My concern is, with over 50 track days I may be too advanced for the school, and will be held back, rather than enjoying the track at speed.

Did anybody attend the school?
Any comments, especially from people with HPDE track day experience who did the school....

thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting question and I'm sure it depends. I'd say if your technique
is really good they will push you along as fast as they can but there
is still a lot of lead follow and everyone has to stay up. From my point
of view it still takes time to learn a new track, getting input from guys
that know that track cold and can point out how to improve is always
worth the time and probably will help in the long run. I did it after being
on track a year, about 15/18 track days and a couple racing classes, I
still learned a lot. However, the two day advanced class really takes
another jump in expectations and they push to get you doing things that
take a few years to understand and perfect. If it doesn't go as fast as
you want, just remember, passing can be fun and once out front, lapping
someone might let you know if you want to go back for the advanced.
Randy
Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Go for level 2

Originally Posted by larryfs
anybody do the Spring mountain 3 day school?
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/

I'm considering the 3 day school, but I have over 50 track days experiece with various clubs, PDA, EMRA, BMW, Porsche, etc

My concern is, with over 50 track days I may be too advanced for the school, and will be held back, rather than enjoying the track at speed.

Did anybody attend the school?
Any comments, especially from people with HPDE track day experience who did the school....

thanks
50 track days is great, but if they were done using mediocre technique then all you did is reinforce bad habits.

Check your ego at the door and you will learn a lot from these guys. If your a good driver they will make you better. The one on one coaching combined with the in-car two way radios helps with immediate correction and fast improvement.
I live within 40 minutes of the Bondurant school and have taken courses there but Spring Mountain offers more track time and more individual attention.

I felt a little "held back" on the first day, but the trade off was worth it because the instructors spotted several bad habits that would slow me down even though I "felt" fast. By the third day I was able to go faster and smoother with less fatigue and less effort. Now I have new things to work on every time I go to a Track Day.
If you think you're advanced enough, go for Level 2. They focus on perfecting whatever talent you might have. Call them and talk to them. They are great people and they won't "blow smoke".
I'm ready to go again just because I think the track is a lot of fun.
BTW, I am a member of Nasaproracing and of Professional Autosports and LOVE their Track Days.
Try Spring Mountain, the worst that could happen is you get FASTER.
Cheers.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 PM
01C5fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry - I probably have about as many track days as you and I've been through the Level I course twice. The second time was with my 17 year old son which was a real treat for both of us. The Spring Mountain guys are big on trail braking which seems to yield the quickest lap times with the least wear and tear on the cars. I really struggled at times trying to get it right. My lap times were never close to what the instructors run so I'd have to say it was definitely not a waste of time for me. If you decide to go, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy! - Gordon
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry; I agree with Gordon. I was out there in early 2003 at their Level 2 course with Gordon and his brother. At that time I had been instructing for Car Guys and PDA for several years, but I thought other exposure to other concepts of teaching would be positive and helpful to me, not only as a student but also as an instructor. It was very positive.

I found that Dave and Dave had fun pushing me because they knew I was an instructor and Rupert was VERY suspicious of me since that was the time that Bonderant was being given the "Corvette" support for a diving school, and some "fake student" from Bonderant had enrolled in a Level 2 course a few weeks earlier to try and spy on the teaching methods used by Rupert. Once they knew I was there to learn and become a better instructor, they and I had a great time together.

The instruction was excellent and I definately came away a better driver and instructor. Go and enjoy.

Jim Helm
Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Trust Jim 47! I have been with him as a student and he knows.

Jim. Rob and I (Dan) are going next week for level one.

How is Joe?

Are you guys going to Pocono with Cumberland valley?

Dan
Old 01-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan: The instruction at PDA and Car Guys has taken a back seat recently because I became a newly married old guy in 2005 and have been occupied with lots of changes, selling houses, buying new ones, and all of the other things accompaning these major changes. I'm going to try my best to get in 4 to 5 events in 2007, but I haven't finalized a schedule as yet. I'm going to try to get to Watkins Glen, VIR, Pocono and Summit point at least once each. Hopefully we'll get together at one of these places in 2007. Keep up the good driving.

Jim
Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim 47
Dan: The instruction at PDA and Car Guys has taken a back seat recently because I became a newly married old guy in 2005 and have been occupied with lots of changes, selling houses, buying new ones, and all of the other things accompaning these major changes. I'm going to try my best to get in 4 to 5 events in 2007, but I haven't finalized a schedule as yet. I'm going to try to get to Watkins Glen, VIR, Pocono and Summit point at least once each. Hopefully we'll get together at one of these places in 2007. Keep up the good driving.

Jim
Congratulations you sly dog.. We hope to see you. I am sure you won't miss too many events.

Get notified of new replies

To spring mountain school

Quick Reply: spring mountain school