Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Collectors Ins. - No more HPDE coverage

Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default American Collectors Ins. - No more HPDE coverage

I just got off the phone with a rep. from American Collectors Insurance.

As of a few months ago, they have cancelled their program offering collision coverage with a 20% deductible for Driver's Ed (HPDE's). The rep. said that current policy owners retain coverage but will not be renewed, and there is NO plan to resume the program at a later date.

I found this out on the web last night--there's only 1 other place that I can find that covers HPDE and they are being investigated in Georgia for fraud.

???Any body know of an Ins. co. that we can go to purchase collision at least for HPDE's?? Having just been through a total loss with my C4, due to someone else's flagrant & reckless error, I know what lawyers and insurance companies can do. I want some coverage. All the standard policies (and yes I have read my actual policy, in all its legalese) are going to bullet proof exclusion clauses for any sort of track activity. So they can't help us unless someone is sure of one that doesn't have the clause, and it varies by state.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 01-12-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Dude, have you been living under a rock? That happened months ago. Bottom line is, if you are going to run it, you may lose it.

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

As of a few months ago, they have cancelled their program offering collision coverage with a 20% deductible for Driver's Ed (HPDE's). The rep. said that current policy owners retain coverage but will not be renewed, and there is NO plan to resume the program at a later date.

I found this out on the web last night--there's only 1 other place that I can find that covers HPDE and they are being investigated in Georgia for fraud.

???Any body know of an Ins. co. that we can go to purchase collision at least for HPDE's?? Having just been through a total loss with my C4, due to someone else's flagrant & reckless error, I know what lawyers and insurance companies can do. I want some coverage.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Timz06
Dude, have you been living under a rock? That happened months ago. Bottom line is, if you are going to run it, you may lose it.
Nope, no rocks. Had no car(thank you to the lady in the SUV) so no need to lurk here as much. Didn't see a thread. The fellow pulling together the NCM VIR event still mentioned ACI yesterday, so he didn't know either.

Total loss of $30k car= unacceptable to me.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Nope, no rocks. Had no car(thank you to the lady in the SUV) so no need to lurk here as much. Didn't see a thread. The fellow pulling together the NCM VIR event still mentioned ACI yesterday, so he didn't know either.

Just joking around.

From what I've seen, the options are very limited, as insurance companies have really been closing up all of the loopholes. I have american collectors which will expire in the spring. After it expires, I won't be tracking the z06.

Last edited by Timz06; 01-12-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Timz06
Just joking around.

From what I've seen, the options are very limited, as insurance companies have really been closing up all of the loopholes. I have american collectors which will expire in the spring. After it expires, I won't be tracking the z06.
If only I had known this was going to happen, I would have bought my Z a little earlier just to purchase the insurance for this season. I didn't think the program would expire, at least not that quickly.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get Geico in you state, they have nothing in their policy which does not cover HPDE.

Also, the even bigger danger about driving on a road course is NOT the cost of your car, but what if you hit someone else...and damage THEIR car, or WORSE, what if you hurt them?

At least our auto policy will cover this situation, if not get yourself an umbrella
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

More Information on track / DE insurance

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Does_...t_the_track%3F

PCA club members may use Laural
http://www.laurelde.com/index.html

However, read the disclamer.

There is a good thread on the Porsche Rennlist, http://forums.rennlist.com/ ( no direct link possible)
Rennlist Discussion Forums > Performance & Competition Discussion Areas > Racing & Drivers Education Forum > DE Insurance - this looks good!

Read your personal policy for disclamers and exclussions.

Now that said, we do not have open tracking, open passing, nor do we allow timing at our event. These events are not fender bender NASACR races.

Many events do have strong saftey rules, and this is drivers education, with class room and in-car instructors.

On an other note, for motorsports events of any type, drivers, and paddock visitors must take personal responosibilty for their actions. If ppl do not take personal resonsibilty or are unwilling to take personal responsibilty for their own actions, there will be no motorsports events. Nor are motorsports events or HPDEs for them, do not come.

Some clubs have very very restrictive and some clubs are very loose and say have at it. Choose your events wisely.

Each event and track will have at least two weavers to be signed as well. All participants and spectators must sign the weaver.

Now fully built race cars, race teams, and race sponsors can get insurance, not cheap but they can get it.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-12-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

???Any body know of an Ins. co. that we can go to purchase collision at least for HPDE's?? Having just been through a total loss with my C4, due to someone else's flagrant & reckless error, I know what lawyers and insurance companies can do. I want some coverage. All the standard policies (and yes I have read my actual policy, in all its legalese) are going to bullet proof exclusion clauses for any sort of track activity. So they can't help us unless someone is sure of one that doesn't have the clause, and it varies by state.
Depends on the State,age,risk factor etc. They renewed my HPDE last month
Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z11409
Depends on the State,age,risk factor etc. They renewed my HPDE last month
It's gone from their website. The rep. didn't say it was gone is some states or more restricted in some way--she said they killed the program and nobody can sign up and their are no plans to bring the program back, ever.

Looks like you got in under the wire--cool!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:46 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Some clubs have very very restrictive and some clubs are very loose and say have at it. Choose your events wisely.

That was something I was going to start a thread on--so since you brought it up--what are the most restrictive event organizations on the East Coast, in your opinion? Who is the harshest on new drivers, who does good screening?

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on that. I have some ideas from older threads about who gives "good" events but I am not sure they are the "safest".
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a written statement from my insurance agent that me and my car is covered at HPDEs being that it is educational. I also have in writing that if I were to get into an accident while at a closed track at an HPDE that I will not be dropped after a claim. Just as long as the event is not timed and drivers training I am fine...

Adam
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Marque clubs have more rules about saftey. It is not how harsh on new drivers or the most restrictive, it is about saftey and education.

That being said some of the BMW clubs are very very concerned, almost to the point of being overly concerned about safty.

Non-marque clubs ( IMHO) are less restrictive.

That being said, I like these clubs mainly as these are the ones I run with.

Tarheel Sports Car club
Carolina PCA
Florida Crown PCA
Audi club here in the mid atlantic
NASA- Mid Atlantic, ( also has W2W racing)
NCM

There are many many other clubs.

Numoraious clubs HIGHLY suggest for new to intermediate level ( under 15 prior HPDEs) that:
- no R compounds, street tires only.
- no harness systems without approved roll bars or roll cages.
( this one is in part most harness systems are incorrectly installed and unsafe without correct installation - more on this latter- I am working on a installation document, based on SCCA and FIA installation requirnements)
- a few clubs say "look out for students in Driving Suits."
- No timing or timing devices in, on or have someone time your laps.
- required class room time.
- WATCH OUT FOR STUDENTS WITH BIG EGOS that question everything.
- WATCH OUT FOR STUDENTS who talk to much and listen too little.
- WATCH OUT for students who think THIER CAR is the only car and the BEST CAR ON THE TRACK.
- Agreessive driving will not be tollerated.

Then there are clubs with open lapping, which is great too.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-13-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
I have a written statement from my insurance agent that me and my car is covered at HPDEs being that it is educational. I also have in writing that if I were to get into an accident while at a closed track at an HPDE that I will not be dropped after a claim. Just as long as the event is not timed and drivers training I am fine...

Adam
what you agent writes doesn't mean squat unfortunately. Try getting it from the company and see what happens.

See what happens even if you hit someone like a person on a bicycle in the pits even if the crash right into you and it's 100% their fault.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters, Are you going to an HPDE to race or improve your driving skills? The incident rate at well run HPDEs is very low. I've only seen incidents when the drivers treat it as a race or TT. Accidents do happen but are rare on HPDEs as most are done on tracks with good run offs.

Last edited by rudyarias; 01-12-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what you agent writes doesn't mean squat unfortunately. Try getting it from the company and see what happens.

See what happens even if you hit someone like a person on a bicycle in the pits even if the crash right into you and it's 100% their fault.

John, that is not necessarily true. It depends on the state and if the "agent" is a broker or a true agent. True agents are direct represenatives of the insurer in which what they put in writing will be upheld. Insurance brokers are not in which they would have to get it in writing from the insurer.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Scott Farmer
Advanced

I found a way to direct link to the rennlist thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=215771

...Looks interesting.

Edit: Also interesting: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Does_...F#Probably_not

Last edited by Scott Farmer; 01-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rudyarias
John, that is not necessarily true. It depends on the state and if the "agent" is a broker or a true agent. True agents are direct represenatives of the insurer in which what they put in writing will be upheld. Insurance brokers are not in which they would have to get it in writing from the insurer.
there is usually a disclaimer in the policy pertaining to this. I still doubt he has the right to interpret the policy he would only have the right to bind a policy. They would have huge problems with agents adding coverage. JMHO

Get notified of new replies

To American Collectors Ins. - No more HPDE coverage

Old 01-13-2007, 03:57 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca

Adam

Who is your insurance with?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

the solution is to track a $10,000 C4.

Most of us have more than $10k spent on tires and brakes
Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by larryfs
the solution is to track a $10,000 C4.

Most of us have more than $10k spent on tires and brakes
you can walk away from your car or keep making the payments even tough it is gone how ever unpleasant that may be. The real problem is having someone sue you and the very first hour of you defense cost 200-300 + per hour and there is no insurance company to foot the bill. It's all yours for how many hours even if you 100% right and at no fault what so ever. Everything you own is up for grabs even your future earnings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American Collectors Ins. - No more HPDE coverage