Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homestead T1 results and race write up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Homestead T1 results and race write up

Homestead T1 race write-up:

First, let me start off saying that the track conditions for this race were the worst I’d ever dealt with. On the warm up lap, at least 2 cars were dumping oil on track. I just happened to be behind one GT1 car (#9) doing his best impression of the Exxon Valdez…leaving a visible trail of oil behind him as he went. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing – it was pouring out of the right rear of his car! I did my best to stay out of it, but there’s not a lot you can do when you’re right behind them on the start.

Phil was on the pole (position 8), I was 9, Mike Scornavacchi was 10, Yarosz 11, etc. When the green waved, all that oil dumped by the #9 car, just made my rear tires spin, so Phil and Mike got away clean, while the rest of us struggled just to stay on track. As we entered NASCAR’s turn 3, the whole bottom side of the banking was coated in oil. I didn’t realize this until mid way thru the turn and it was all I could do to save the car from hitting the wall. Phil and Mike pulled out a nice gap.

Over the next few laps, I adjusted my lines to avoid the oil (as did everyone else I suspect) and began reeling in Mike. He braked (or broke) really late into turn 3 and that allowed me to take the corner and 2d place in T1. I tried to make up some time on Phil, but the gap stayed about the same (2-4 seconds I suppose). Around lap 9, we got a full course caution due to a GT1 car completely on fire! Nasty! We slowly went around the track a few times and they finally black-flagged everyone, so we came into the pits, and waited.

I put way too much fuel in originally, so I just left my car running to burn off some of the gas. Phil (now directly in front of me on Pit lane) shut his car off. About 10 mins later, we got the word to fire up the cars again and prepare to restart the race. Phil could not restart his car! I couldn’t believe it. All the cars went around him and he had to go over to the side pit box. About the time we were completing our warm up lap, I got word that Phil finally got his car started…but he was well behind the field now.

On the restart, I got a good jump, but the tires were now cold and covered in crap, so it was tough going for the first few laps. Mike was right on my bumper and driving very, very well. Over the next few laps though, I began to pull out a bit of a gap. NASCAR turns 3 and 4 were even worse now and the only groove without oil was up high. From that point on, it was just tire and brake management and hitting my marks. With about 2 or 3 laps to go, I watched (in my mirror) as Mike got hit/spun out by Yarosz as they were exiting #8 (turn that leads onto the banking). Mike was not a happy camper!!!!! I think Phil just did one lap after the restart and decided to park the car.

At the end, it was me, Yarosz and Kahn on the podium. I felt awful for Phil!!!! He was on the pole for both Sebring and Homestead; turned the fastest laps of the race, yet his best finish was just 4th out of the two races. Nobody deserves that kind of bad luck! Sorry buddy!!!!

As for Homestead, they should have stopped the race and cleaned the track. It was a miracle that nobody got hurt!!!!!!!! Every car looked like it had been sprayed with a bottle full of oil. John Yarosz’ windshield was just impossible to see out of and mine wasn’t much better. So you wanna be a racer hunh?!?!?!?!

Huge thanks to those great Kumho tires, Carbotech brakes, Phoenix (Kurt, Joe, and the gang), Mike and his friend Brett for their support, Cool Shirt, Hardbar, Michelle and all the others who help me continue my childhood!!

On a side note, between the races, Mike invited me down to Marco, FL to relax at his new winter home. [Yeah, life is rough. ] We just hung out for a few days and enjoyed the sun and beautiful weather down there 'til it was time to go test at Homestead. The seas were too choppy to get any fishing in, but you can't have everything I guess. Thanks Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! You 'da best!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
woosch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!!

Congrats Chris!!

Sorry to hear about Mike and Phil...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I don't care how many times he denies it. I think Chris put some kind of hex on poor Phil!!! Talk about bad luck... I don't remember the last time I saw a Z06 refuse to start in a race.

Anyway, Chris drove a good race and deserves his well-earned win.

You guys would not believe how much oil was on everyone's windshield. It was just impossible to see out if you were headed towards the sun.

Mike, again, I feel your pain. You drove well in spite of the brake gremlins and deserved better.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep, you caught me...I have a Phil Pińata here in my office that I take swings at regularly and a voodoo doll with pins stuck in it everywhere.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your 2nd win Chris and sorry to hear about Phil's bad luck again. Go Kumho Tires!

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports Division)
2003 Z06 SCCA T1 #21 RSIG,Kumho Tire,Corsa,Hawk
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Well, as promised, I copied some key segments from the Homestead Race.

The first part that you'll see is the Black GT1 Vette in front of us dumping oil. Look just over my steering wheel at the tarmac and see a nice shiny streak of his oil...then watch as his car starts smoking heading down the NASCAR straight.

The next part is the next lap when I begin to do my normal line thru NASCAR 3-4 and run right thru the oil...as my car pushes up the track and I manage to save it without hitting the wall.

The next part is the major league car fire which caused the double-yellow and subsequent black flag.

The final piece is me sitting right behind Phil...oil all over my windshield as the sun sets, and then realizing that Phil's car wouldn't start. Sorry buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIF_2dtgpr0
Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations! Sounds like you did what was necessary to win.

Why didn't they black flag the Valdese? Seems he would have know he was lubricating the track with everyone on the radios???

Glad you made it through without damage!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

BTW, Chris, did you get it tuned since you took the cats off, or are you still running rich?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Congratulations!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I have no idea why they didn't black flag that guy...and others who were apparently dropping oil. Later in the race, there were several black streaks on the bottom side of NASCAR's 3-4, so you were forced to run a high line or risk your car/life. Ugly!

I have not re-tuned the engine yet...and it needs it. It is really, really rich right now, so I'm going to have "Trucker Bob" come get the car this weekend and take it up to Joe's (Phoenix) for it's yearly checkup and tune.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I have no idea why they didn't black flag that guy...and others who were apparently dropping oil. Later in the race, there were several black streaks on the bottom side of NASCAR's 3-4, so you were forced to run a high line or risk your car/life. Ugly!

I have not re-tuned the engine yet...and it needs it. It is really, really rich right now, so I'm going to have "Trucker Bob" come get the car this weekend and take it up to Joe's (Phoenix) for it's yearly checkup and tune.
Way to go, Chris. I will look over Mark's shoulder to make sure they give you a first class tune.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-20-2007, 11:14 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Way to go, Chris. I will look over Mark's shoulder to make sure they give you a first class tune.

Frank Gonzalez
God knows I'm going to need it...every drop. Phil was fast down south!!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

What kind of "tune" do you guys run? I mean is it Open Loop or Closed loop? Do you utilise the MAF sensor or is it a Speed Density tune? Do they set your car up on an inertia type dyno or a load/chassis dyno?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Joe Aqualante and his guys will have to chime in on this one. All I know is that they tune the air/fuel ratio, timing, etc. throughout the entire rev range...using 100 (or 98) octane. After a run on the chassis dyno, the tuner (can't remember his name off the top of my head) looks at the results on the computer, makes a few changes and then does another dyno run. Normally it takes about 4-10 runs to get the numbers right.

I've watched the procedures several times and the main point to it all is that it works like a charm. You'll definitely get the most of the engine...and it's a safe tune too, so you don't have to worry about hurting the engine. They know their stuff!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Joe Aqualante and his guys will have to chime in on this one. All I know is that they tune the air/fuel ratio, timing, etc. throughout the entire rev range...using 100 (or 98) octane. After a run on the chassis dyno, the tuner (can't remember his name off the top of my head) looks at the results on the computer, makes a few changes and then does another dyno run. Normally it takes about 4-10 runs to get the numbers right.

I've watched the procedures several times and the main point to it all is that it works like a charm. You'll definitely get the most of the engine...and it's a safe tune too, so you don't have to worry about hurting the engine. They know their stuff!
Thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Homestead T1 results and race write up

Quick Reply: Homestead T1 results and race write up